Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by Steve Wo » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I have been trying to set up my system in a multiple-boot configuration
which will run one of Linux, OS/2, DOS, or 95.  I am wanting to use Boot
Manager as the primary boot tool.

The way have Linux set up is that there is a main "root" partation,
/dev/hdb10, 500MB where the main system will be.  I also created a 10-MB
boot partition, /dev/hdb8, which will contain the /boot filesystem,
namely the kernel and LILO.  This boot partition is below cylinder 1024.

I understand that I should install LILO to /dev/hdb8, then add that
partition to OS/2's BM.

However, I get errors when trying to install LILO to /dev/hdb8.  I
understand the warning that this is not the first disk is OK, but i get
repeated errors about how vmlinuz is not found, even though it is clearly
where it should be (in /boot or /dev/hdb8).

This is my lilo.conf.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hdb8
#compact        # faster, but won't work on all systems.
# delay = 5
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hdb8
  append="hda=790,15,57 hdb=2484,16,63 aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"
  label = linux
  read-only # Non-UMSDOS filesystems should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

It does not work if I change vmlinuz to /vmlinuz.

Also, how exactly do you specify that the true "root" system is
/dev/hdb10.  I rdev'ed the kernel for this root system, but does this also
need to be specified in LILO?  I'm confused.   However, I can boot quite
nicely and run everything from a boot floppy with this exact same kernel.

Booting LINUX with OS/2 Boot Manager

Post by Steve Wo » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I have been trying to set up my system in a multiple-boot configuration
: which will run one of Linux, OS/2, DOS, or 95.  I am wanting to use Boot
: Manager as the primary boot tool....

: I understand that I should install LILO to /dev/hdb8, then add that
: partition to OS/2's BM.

You stupid idiot!  Why not just fix it like this?

: # Linux bootable partition config begins
: image = vmlinuz
:   root = /dev/hdb8
:   append="hda=790,15,57 hdb=2484,16,63 aha152x=0x340,11,7,1"

Change it to:

: image = /boot/vmlinuz

And it will work!  I know 'cause I just did it.  And I guess there's no
rule against flaming yourself for making a dumb post :)

1. How to boot Linux with OS/2 boot manager?

Hello Netters:

I just upgraded my computer to an Adaptec 1542B SCSI system with a nice
big 520 Meg Fujitsu drive!

I'm running OS/2 and Linux.  I had OS/2 install the Boot Manager (is this
named 'MOST'?) and unfortunately, that takes up one of the precious 4
partitions on a "standard" partitioned disk.

I have two Linux partitions in the middle between the Boot Manager partition
and OS/2 partition.  I'm planning on using one to back up the other.  Their
size is 64M.

Now the problem:  I can boot using floppy to make the Linux1 partition the
root partition, but when I tried the standard SHOELACE stuff (I did it before
on another system up at school), then when I try to boot that partition from
the Boot Manager, all I get is a for-ever loop of: "0000" rolling down the
screen and it sounds like it is moving the disk head pretty fast back and
forth on the drive.  This is not "normal"  !!! :-)

Is this something to do with (taking a wild guess) the fact that I'm using
SCSI (I used IDE before) and maybe SHOELACE doesn't work with SCSI????

I'm all ears!  I sure would appreciate a word on the subject.

Thanks to the guys at headrest.woz.colorado.edu (I think I got that right)
for the SCSI code!  It seems to be working like a charm!

   - David Summers

--
                         "Never under-estimate the bandwidth of a station-wagon
David Summers             full of tapes, hurtling down the highway."

2. Can't use themes on Solaris for WindowMaker

3. booting linux with OS/2 boot manager?

4. KDE sensors on Fbsd 4-stable

5. How to boot linux with os/2 boot manager?

6. Copying a SCO/Unix drive?

7. Problems booting linux from OS/2 boot manager

8. rcp

9. Booting Linux through OS/2 Boot Manager

10. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

11. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

12. Booting Linux with the OS/2 Boot Manager

13. Boot Linux from SCSI (with OS/2 boot manager)