Q: Laptops connecting to linux (please read linux gurus)

Q: Laptops connecting to linux (please read linux gurus)

Post by Jason T. Christianse » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Here is what I would like to do.  I live in a dorm room that only allows
one connection with one ethernet address per room.  So I can only have one
computer registered with computer services.  What I would like to do is
set up a desktop with linux, but connect the laptop (by some really fast
means) to the desktop so that the internet can be used on the laptop as
well as the linux server.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  Do i need any
special hardware?  I have a PCMCIA ethernet/modem for my laptop.  Could i
use serial ports and somehow make a fast slip/ppp connection?  any ideas
would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, here is some info.  I am using 10BT,
and i guarantee that there is absolutely no way to get any other ethernet
card to work in my wall socket in my dorm room.  (you can have a different
one, but only one can be registered at a time, so i could either give net
access to the desktop or the laptop but not both unless I set the linux
box up to act as an internet node for the laptop)

Thanks,
JaSoN!

---
Jason Christiansen

P.O. Box 3439
Mississippi State, MS 39762
(601) 325-6710

Post by Roberto Alsi » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Here is what I would like to do.  I live in a dorm room that only allows
>one connection with one ethernet address per room.  So I can only have one
>computer registered with computer services.  What I would like to do is
>set up a desktop with linux, but connect the laptop (by some really fast
>means) to the desktop so that the internet can be used on the laptop as
>well as the linux server.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  Do i need any
>special hardware?  I have a PCMCIA ethernet/modem for my laptop.  Could i
>use serial ports and somehow make a fast slip/ppp connection?  any ideas
>would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, here is some info.  I am using 10BT,
>and i guarantee that there is absolutely no way to get any other ethernet
>card to work in my wall socket in my dorm room.  (you can have a different
>one, but only one can be registered at a time, so i could either give net
>access to the desktop or the laptop but not both unless I set the linux
>box up to act as an internet node for the laptop)

You can set up a local LAN using ethernet from your desktop to your
laptop, and use IP masquerading to get out to the campus net.

The IP-Masquerading-howto should have all the info you need.

--

 ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina

 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Lit*
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina

Q: Laptops connecting to linux (please read linux gurus)

Post by James Youngm » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Here is what I would like to do.  I live in a dorm room that only allows
>one connection with one ethernet address per room.

Careful.   Do you mean ethernet address or IP address?   No matter, read on.

Quote:>So I can only have one
>computer registered with computer services.  What I would like to do is
>set up a desktop with linux, but connect the laptop (by some really fast
>means) to the desktop so that the internet can be used on the laptop as
>well as the linux server.  Is this possible?  If so, how?

Configure the desktop machine for IP_MASQUERADE, IP_FIREWALL, IP_FORWARD.
Also read the Masquerade-HOWTO.

As for how you connect the laptop machine, either put a 2nd ethernet card in
the desktop machine and use ethernet, or use PLIP over a parallel-port
connection.

Quote:>Do i need any
>special hardware?  I have a PCMCIA ethernet/modem for my laptop.

Great.  Pop in another Ethernet card on the desktop machine (NE2000 cards are
really cheap nowadays).

Quote:>Could i
>use serial ports and somehow make a fast slip/ppp connection?  any ideas

If ni Ethernet, PLIP would be faster.   I think there is a HOWTO.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Q: Laptops connecting to linux (please read linux gurus)

Post by j.. » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Here is what I would like to do.  I live in a dorm room that only allows
> one connection with one ethernet address per room.  So I can only have one
> computer registered with computer services.  What I would like to do is
> set up a desktop with linux, but connect the laptop (by some really fast
> means) to the desktop so that the internet can be used on the laptop as
> well as the linux server.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  Do i need any
> special hardware?  I have a PCMCIA ethernet/modem for my laptop.  Could i
> use serial ports and somehow make a fast slip/ppp connection?  any ideas
> would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, here is some info.  I am using 10BT,
> and i guarantee that there is absolutely no way to get any other ethernet
> card to work in my wall socket in my dorm room.  (you can have a different
> one, but only one can be registered at a time, so i could either give net
> access to the desktop or the laptop but not both unless I set the linux
> box up to act as an internet node for the laptop)

I am also at a college that does the same thing.  The best way to go is to
use IP Masquerading to use your one IP and hardware address as many.
Check the IP Masquerading HOWTO on a web page such as the linux
documentation project.

As far as physically connecting your laptop to your server, I would
recommend a PLIP connection using the parallel ports and a laplink
cable.  If you use a network card, you would need either a hub, or an
additional network card in the server wired to the notebook directly using
a crosstalk 10baseT cable or using a 10base2 setup.  Also, if you used a
hub, your notebook's IP number and hardware address show up on the network,
even though all your packets go through the server's IP number.  With PLIP,
it is cheaper, and you have no chance of your notebook being directly
accessable.

Q: Laptops connecting to linux (please read linux gurus)

Post by LRC Us » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>As far as physically connecting your laptop to your server, I would
>recommend a PLIP connection using the parallel ports and a laplink
>cable.  If you use a network card, you would need either a hub, or an
>additional network card in the server wired to the notebook directly using
>a crosstalk 10baseT cable or using a 10base2 setup.

I would recomend to buy second network card for server
 much faster than plip

1. Help on Linux Universe CD set please..To all you Linux GURUS out there

As it goes all the people who had helped me previously... Thank you..
But another problem arises..Maybe the authors can help me now..

I have made a boot disk using Rawwrite.exe and that was succesful..
when I booted using the disk a menu comes up informing me what drive to
select to boot from.. I select the a drive. On one of the lines I am able to
pass parameters.. and on the bottom I can specify the drive where the Linux
CD is located. OK Now for the first try I Did not touch the parameters above
where it said RAM and CRAM I left those at default
and on the bottom I placed sbpcd=0x230

As I boot a whole bunch of lines scroll past the screen..
sorry could not get some of them

2. X-server problem, need help!

3. Linux box connect to linux laptop via cable?

4. neighbour table overflow

5. Bizarre: Sendmail Connects Then Times Out...Sendmail Gurus Please Help

6. Troubles with olicom ISA/IV ethernet card

7. IPX rh, still no valid answer, please read GURUS!

8. IP - ALIASES patches where at

9. SCSI CDROM guru's please read

10. Read Sol 2.4 x86 disks in Linux: GURUS needed?

11. Linux Laptop config database?? Linux Laptop NG?

12. Read Sol 2.4 x86 disks in Linux: GURUS needed?

13. Calling all Linux Guru's - Please help a poor soul.