Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Like the dummy I am, I ran the 2.2.15pre7 diffs against my working
2.2.14 kernel without making a backup copy of that tree someplace.

Go ahead, laugh, I'll wait...

Mostly it works, except for one huge/glareing problem.  The devices have
been moved around such that the scsi-ide emulation no longer puts the
reader portion of of my ACER 2x6 cdr-rw at /dev/scd0.  After much
searching, I did find it at /dev/hdb, which puzzled me no end because
thats *exactly where it is in fact!*,  Drive D: in dos terms.  I made a
softlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdb after deleting the old one that
pointed at /dev/scd0.

Unforch, after I got that sorted out, now xcdroast can't find the
writer on /dev/sg, and cannot seem to allow another device to be tried.
There is no response to clicking on that selection bar.

So, whats the naming scheme for the cd-writer stuffs now?  I do have the
scsi-ide emulation turned on, and generic-scsi too, both as compiled in
options.  I also note that its not found in the dmesg listing under
scsi1 either.  I have the kernel rebuilding now just for grins, but 2
previous runs didn't make me aware of an error in re this.

Cheers, Gene
--

                        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is

Post by KC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Unrot13 this;

> Like the dummy I am, I ran the 2.2.15pre7 diffs against my working
> 2.2.14 kernel without making a backup copy of that tree someplace.

> Go ahead, laugh, I'll wait...

> Mostly it works, except for one huge/glareing problem.  The devices have
> been moved around such that the scsi-ide emulation no longer puts the
> reader portion of of my ACER 2x6 cdr-rw at /dev/scd0.  After much
> searching, I did find it at /dev/hdb, which puzzled me no end because
> thats *exactly where it is in fact!*,  Drive D: in dos terms.  I made a
> softlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdb after deleting the old one that
> pointed at /dev/scd0.

> Unforch, after I got that sorted out, now xcdroast can't find the
> writer on /dev/sg, and cannot seem to allow another device to be tried.
> There is no response to clicking on that selection bar.

> So, whats the naming scheme for the cd-writer stuffs now?  I do have the
> scsi-ide emulation turned on, and generic-scsi too, both as compiled in
> options.  I also note that its not found in the dmesg listing under
> scsi1 either.  I have the kernel rebuilding now just for grins, but 2
> previous runs didn't make me aware of an error in re this.

My guess is that the devices haven't been moved around, but somewhere
along the way, ide-scsi/scsi-emulation has been foobar'd. That's what it
sounds like, especially since dmesg doesn't show any scsi bus.

Make sure everything is setup the same way as before, when it worked.
How are you specifying that hdb is the drive to use ide-scsi? If it's in
lilo.conf, make sure the append entry also exists for the new image's
entry, etc.

Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you want to recover the old source, you can reverse-patch it. While you
would normally use something like 'patch < my.patch' to apply the patch,
you simply reverse to process (removing the patch) by doing 'patch -R <
my.patch'.

Rasmus B?g Hansen

> Unrot13 this;

> Like the dummy I am, I ran the 2.2.15pre7 diffs against my working
> 2.2.14 kernel without making a backup copy of that tree someplace.

> Go ahead, laugh, I'll wait...

> Mostly it works, except for one huge/glareing problem.  The devices have
> been moved around such that the scsi-ide emulation no longer puts the
> reader portion of of my ACER 2x6 cdr-rw at /dev/scd0.  After much
> searching, I did find it at /dev/hdb, which puzzled me no end because
> thats *exactly where it is in fact!*,  Drive D: in dos terms.  I made a
> softlink from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdb after deleting the old one that
> pointed at /dev/scd0.

> Unforch, after I got that sorted out, now xcdroast can't find the
> writer on /dev/sg, and cannot seem to allow another device to be tried.
> There is no response to clicking on that selection bar.

> So, whats the naming scheme for the cd-writer stuffs now?  I do have the
> scsi-ide emulation turned on, and generic-scsi too, both as compiled in
> options.  I also note that its not found in the dmesg listing under
> scsi1 either.  I have the kernel rebuilding now just for grins, but 2
> previous runs didn't make me aware of an error in re this.

> Cheers, Gene
> --

>                    email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
> This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is
> ? 2000 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.
> --

    ,-----.
   {|[;["[|=-.   ?l blev jo opfundet ved en fejltagelse
   `|[.[ [| ))   Fejltagelsen bestod i, at det ikke blev opfundet noget f?r
    `====='

Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to KC ;
[huge snip]

Quote:>> So, whats the naming scheme for the cd-writer stuffs now?  I do
>> have the scsi-ide emulation turned on, and generic-scsi too, both
>> as compiled in options.  I also note that its not found in the
>> dmesg listing under scsi1 either.  I have the kernel rebuilding now
>> just for grins, but 2 previous runs didn't make me aware of an
>> error in re this.

> My guess is that the devices haven't been moved around, but
> somewhere along the way, ide-scsi/scsi-emulation has been foobar'd.
> That's what it sounds like, especially since dmesg doesn't show any
> scsi bus.
> Make sure everything is setup the same way as before, when it
> worked. How are you specifying that hdb is the drive to use
> ide-scsi? If it's in lilo.conf, make sure the append entry also
> exists for the new image's entry, etc.

I did get it sorted, about 5 kernel compiles later.  It took a setting
of IDE/ATAPI CDROM support as a module, SCSI emulation support as
builtin, plus the first 6 items under SCSI SUPPORT checked as builtins.

With the setup restored, /dev/cdrom moved itself back to /dev/scd0, and
/dev/sg found the burner side of it.  I burnt a 400 meg R/W of mp3's and
played it since.  I got an error from xcdroast as it converted the
image, but didn't tell me what it was.  Not seeing anything obvious, I
burnt it anyway, and it worked ok.

/minor rant on

I know the docs are hard put to cover every conceivable combination, and
that this ACER 6x2 is an unknown, but the xconfig help screens really
could be a bit more concise on this subject, like when they say such and
such an option needs to be used with this one, it could specify which
section/button off the main window that this option is in too.  That
way, one could go directly to that if/then option and check it out
without having to wade through 4 intervening screens looking for it.

/minor rant off

Many thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Cheers, Gene
--

                        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is
? 2000 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.
--

Where did kernel 2.2.15pre7 put cd-r/w device?

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Rasmus B?g;

 RBH> If you want to recover the old source, you can reverse-patch it.
 RBH> While you would normally use something like 'patch < my.patch'
 RBH> to apply the patch, you simply reverse to process (removing the
 RBH> patch) by doing 'patch -R < my.patch'.

 RBH> Rasmus B?g Hansen

Thanks for the reply. I did get it sorted eventually.  See my other
reply for the ugly details & crow pie.

Cheers, Gene
--

                        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is
? 2000 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.
--

1. Feedback on 2.2.15 (wasRe: Kernel Stable: 2.2.15pre4 )

I've been trying the 2.2.15 prereleases, and so far they seem great.
2.2.15 pre 4 (subjectively speaking) made my system much zippier
than 2.2.13/4 and 2.2.15 pre 5 which I built last night, feels
faster still (and apparently has some rather neat debug code to
trap bad application memory use/kernel bugs).

So overall I'm very pleased. Many thanks to Alan and the guys who've
been working on the VM stuff. It feels great for me.

BTW I'm running this on Mandrake 6.1, Cyrix 6x86 MX 300, 64MB RAM.

Like I say, 2.2.15 feels like it's shaping up to be the best 2.2 kernel
yet by a significant margin (to me at least!)
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Linux BBS

3. G4 - Kernel 2.2.15pre7 - USB problems :-(

4. linuxconf and manual editing of files in RH 5.2

5. AWE64, Debian 2.1, Linux 2.2.15 - device busy error

6. Irritating - tcpdump and Linksys

7. Kernel compiling (2.2.15pre19)

8. Is the Intel D845WNL Motherboard supported

9. Turtle Beach Montego to work in kernel 2.2.15-16?

10. 512 MB RAM limit on the 2.2.15prexx kernels

11. Suse kernel 2.2.15-plus

12. BTTV Kernel 2.2.15 XFree86 4.0.2 i810

13. Internal PCI modem busted on kernel 2.2.15