Beginner Question ! Fail to setup X Windows !

Beginner Question ! Fail to setup X Windows !

Post by ¤?¤k±t¤a Girls.Killer » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

I have install Red Hat Linux Release 4 but I fail to start X Windows.
The message in error log file is

"Error opening pointer device /dev/ttys0"

I try to config my mouse using Metro-X Configuration Utility and in the
Xconfig file I find that it successfully set my mouse as Microsoft mouse
in COM 1 but I still cannot solve the problem. Can anyone help me
?

My PC setup :

CPU     : Intel P133
Video   : S3 Trio765
Memory  : 32M RAM
Mouse   : Microsoft Mouse in Com 1
CD-ROM  : Teac 8X CD-ROM
HardDisk: Quantum 2.5 G Fireball, about 900 M for Linux and 40 M for
swap space.

Another question :

My harddisk still has 1.2 G space. Can I install NT4.0 in remain space ?
Can I re-config LILO so that I can choose to boot between DOS, Linux and
NT ?

Thank you for your help .

Post by Perry Pipla » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

>I have install Red Hat Linux Release 4 but I fail to start X Windows.
>The message in error log file is
>"Error opening pointer device /dev/ttys0"
>I try to config my mouse using Metro-X Configuration Utility and in the
>Xconfig file I find that it successfully set my mouse as Microsoft mouse
>in COM 1 but I still cannot solve the problem. Can anyone help me
>?

COM1 is /dev/ttyS0 not /dev/ttys0 (which exists but is something else)
                           ^                       ^

Check your config file to see if the cAsE is correct. Also, is another
process using your mouse i.e. GPM??

Hope this helps,

Perry

Quote:>My harddisk still has 1.2 G space. Can I install NT4.0 in remain space ?
>Can I re-config LILO so that I can choose to boot between DOS, Linux and
>NT ?

I don't know anything about NT but I'm sure you can install it. It my trash
lilo though. The you'll have to reinstall it.
Time flies like arrows, but fruit flies like bananas.
Perry Piplani                http://perrypip.netservers.com

Post by ja » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

> I have install Red Hat Linux Release 4 but I fail to start X Windows.
> The message in error log file is

> "Error opening pointer device /dev/ttys0"

I noticed a similar problem with /dev/ttys0 however /dev/mouse worked
fine.

Jan

Post by ja » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>                            ^                       ^

> Check your config file to see if the cAsE is correct. Also, is another
> process using your mouse i.e. GPM??

> Hope this helps,

> Perry

I have gpm running with x-windows X runs with working mouse and when I shift
to another virtual console gpm still works or at least it does wtih mc.

Using /dev/mouse in the XF86Config files seems to work well enough.

Jan

Post by Dirk Rottma » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Another question :

> My harddisk still has 1.2 G space. Can I install NT4.0 in remain space ?
> Can I re-config LILO so that I can choose to boot between DOS, Linux and
> NT ?

first you should prepare a linux boot disk,
then install NT,
then start your linux with the disk,
and finally edit /etc/lilo.conf AND run /sbin/lilo to reinstall lilo
bootmanager.

dirk

==============================

> medianet GmbH
> http://www.deutschland.de
> dirk rottmar, frankfurt, ger

1. smail/smtp setup question (beginner)

I have a question about how my unix system should be handling
e-mail. I think my question is somewhat general, but if any more
information about versions, etc. is needed please e-mail me and
I'll be happy to oblige.

I have a Linux system running smail 3.1.28.1 that periodically
connects to the internet via a PPP account on netcom.

In my inetd.conf file, I have the following line:

smtp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/bin/rsmtp  -bs

My question has to do with what is neccessary to ensure that mail is
both sent and received during the time in which my system is connected
via PPP, and whether or not rsmtp is the right transport for me.

It appears that if I just leave things as they are, and don't explicitly
run smail/runq/etc. then I can receive e-mail as a result of the inetd
entry watching for incoming smtp messages. Is this correct?

Also, do I *have* to run 'runq' or some other form of smail to get my
e-mail sent out, or should something else be taking care of it? Should
I just add a 'runq' line in the script that is fired off once the PPP
connection is up? I don't want to run smail in daemon mode (smail -bd),
since most of the time the connection is down and it would just be
wasting processor time.

Any clarification of how all this works will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel A. Segel
--
Daniel A. Segel

2. Endless updating

3. Beginners X Windows Programming Question

4. another convert upper to lower case question

5. Philip 104E monitor - Setup Linux 6.0 X-Windows Failed

6. CSPAN Town meetings on IRAQ O.T.

7. X Window setup failed

8. Linux distributions

9. Reboot command fails, post setup reboot fails

10. Fail-safe beginners guide

11. X Windows setup question -- Please Help!

12. Beginners: Here's the beginners web info you've been looking for

13. Question: setup cable modem, Linux and Windows