Help! Can't install at all!

Post by 101470,214 » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I just don't know what is going on and I am at my wit's end.
I have an AMD486DXL4-100 with a 540MB hd on my eide port 0 and a
Matsushita CR581 4X CDROM on port 2 (the card is has the number QD6580 on
it)
Works OK under Win & DOS, but when I put in my bootdsk and switch on, it
detects the hd, but then burps out

hdc: irq probe failed(0)
hdc: Matshita CR581, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: irq probe failed(0)

??

Then when I try to load my rootdsk, after the line that goes:
Device Boot  Begin Start End etc etc...
I get:
hdc: irq timeout:status=0x51
hdc: irq timeout:error=0x60
and sometimes
ATAPI reset complete
or
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 0

Nothing else happens - at all. Why is it doing things with hdc here when
it should be looking for swap space on /dev/hda1?

Please Help before I throw my useless CDs of Slackware in the bin!!!

Thanks in advance.