Need help with serial set-up

Post by Alexander V. Vinograd » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello!

  Need help! We just set-up Linux 2.0.25 on Venus Pentium Pro-200 for
ISP server & dial-up access. Everything working just fine, but...
If you access server using telnet from somewhere - shell working
great,
if you dial modem number and log-in yuor input is frozen periodically.
No information were lost, it just stops and then continue. Output on
the screen is working, no delays, no problem. If you are running PPP
on the same line - no delays also.
   I've tried different lines - BOCA Board and motherboard serial, and
also different modems - USR Sportster and Zoom V.34. I'm using mgetty
0.98 and tried 0.99 - all the same. Other getty impl. were found not
working.
    Also one more simptom - if you trying to log into PPP account
using Trumpet Manual Login or Win'95 Terminal Window - no problem at
all.
If you are trying to run script for Trumpet of automatically running
Win'95 dialler -it fails. I don't know what's up in Win'95,but for
Trumpet you could see what's going on, so it seems like additional
<CR>
or <LF> symbols generated after username is transmitted, so password
fails. But there where no any additional symbols in the script and
both
script and Win'95 Dialler are working just fine for another provider.
    Does anybody know what the problem is?

Thanx.

Need help with serial set-up

Post by Rich Dubraws » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

It looks like you are experiancing the dreaded USR sportster bug.  This is not
a function of linux, or your setup, but is a problem with sportster modems.
There is a way to work around it by setting one of the registers via the
initialization line.  If you check the USR homepage, there is mention of it
and the work around.  essentially anything using text like transfers suffers,
whereas ppp/slip and file transfer are not affected.
THey will allow you to upgrade your eprom, but of course there is a charge.
not too bad if yours is socketted, but probably hefty if like me yours is smt.

>Hello!

>  Need help! We just set-up Linux 2.0.25 on Venus Pentium Pro-200 for
>ISP server & dial-up access. Everything working just fine, but...
>If you access server using telnet from somewhere - shell working
>great,
>if you dial modem number and log-in yuor input is frozen periodically.
>No information were lost, it just stops and then continue. Output on
>the screen is working, no delays, no problem. If you are running PPP
>on the same line - no delays also.
>   I've tried different lines - BOCA Board and motherboard serial, and
>also different modems - USR Sportster and Zoom V.34. I'm using mgetty
>0.98 and tried 0.99 - all the same. Other getty impl. were found not
>working.
>    Also one more simptom - if you trying to log into PPP account
>using Trumpet Manual Login or Win'95 Terminal Window - no problem at
>all.
>If you are trying to run script for Trumpet of automatically running
>Win'95 dialler -it fails. I don't know what's up in Win'95,but for
>Trumpet you could see what's going on, so it seems like additional
><CR>
>or <LF> symbols generated after username is transmitted, so password
>fails. But there where no any additional symbols in the script and
>both
>script and Win'95 Dialler are working just fine for another provider.
>    Does anybody know what the problem is?

>Thanx.

Richard Dubrawski

safety".
          Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
                Benjamin Franklin

Need help with serial set-up

Post by Rich Dubraws » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I just found the URL:
http://www.carabelli.com/lore/usrincident.html
this explains the problem in detail

Richard Dubrawski

safety".
          Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
                Benjamin Franklin

Need help with serial set-up

Post by Alexander V. Vinograd » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Same problem with ZOOM, but I'll check that page and thanx anyway - u
only one who suggest at least something. I'm really stuck, today will
test system bus and interrupt controller....

Alex.

>I just found the URL:
>http://www.carabelli.com/lore/usrincident.html
>this explains the problem in detail

>Richard Dubrawski

>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a
>little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor
>safety".
>          Historical Review of Pennsylvania.
>            Benjamin Franklin

1. HELP needed with connecting UPS to serial port w/o "getty"

Has anyone ever hooked up a tripp-lite ups to a solaris machine using the
power alert plus software?

The ups instructions for a solaris installation blow, and i cant really figure
out the way solaris is handling it's serial ports.

The instructions say that i need to configure the port for 2400, but without
a getty running.  Now, i think that in solaris, a ttymon is a getty.  But
knowing this still doesnt get me much closer to setting the thing up.

So how do i configure ttya for straight serial communications without a
getty/ttymon getting in the way?

thanx,

please reply via mail if possible.

--
Robert Windsor Nilsen III

2. Unix "Unremove" file command ???

3. Belkin F6C350-SER-SB UPS serial cable pin out diagram needed.

4. kernel 2.4.18 - select() returning strange value

5. Need to config serial port for UPS

6. running linux from a CR-rom

7. Help needed setting up serial card

8. Upgrade options?

9. URGENT!!! Need help on Freebsd serial console setting

10. need help setting serial port attibutes

11. Newbie needs help on setting up serial connection

12. Need Help on Setting Up Linux As X-terminal Through Serial Line

13. need help - setting up serial terminal and modem on IPX running Red Hat Linux