problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

Post by Tom Lindsa » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

   I just installed Linux 2.0.0 on my machine; upgrading from a
previous version.  Before I installed the new version, I tar'd
the old version out to tape.  I installed a new kernel that
had ftape support, and have verified that I also installed the
ftape package.

   When I try to see what's on the tape, using:

      tar tvf /dev/ftape

I see the msg "Can't open /dev/ftape  No such device".  I checked the
/dev directory, and ftape is set up as a link to /dev/rft0, which is
set up as a char mode device.  The permissions for /dev/rft0 are set
at crw-r-----.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this msg?

   I looked at the man pages for tar and mt, as well as the FAQ and
HOWTO for ftape, but saw nothing that looked similar to this.  I'm
guessing this is a general unix issue, which, being a newbie, has me
baffled....

problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

Post by Frank Mil » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>   I just installed Linux 2.0.0 on my machine; upgrading from a
>previous version.  Before I installed the new version, I tar'd
>the old version out to tape.  I installed a new kernel that
>had ftape support, and have verified that I also installed the
>ftape package.

>   When I try to see what's on the tape, using:

>      tar tvf /dev/ftape

>I see the msg "Can't open /dev/ftape  No such device".  I checked the
>/dev directory, and ftape is set up as a link to /dev/rft0, which is
>set up as a char mode device.  The permissions for /dev/rft0 are set
>at crw-r-----.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this msg?

>   I looked at the man pages for tar and mt, as well as the FAQ and
>HOWTO for ftape, but saw nothing that looked similar to this.  I'm
>guessing this is a general unix issue, which, being a newbie, has me
>baffled....

One possibility is that your kernel doesn't have ftape enabled.  You
may need to recompile (starting with make config).  And of course if
ftape is a module, you may need to do an insmod /dev/ftape.

Hope this helps!

        -frank

Post by Andreas Jurre » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>   I just installed Linux 2.0.0 on my machine; upgrading from a
>previous version.  Before I installed the new version, I tar'd
>the old version out to tape.  I installed a new kernel that
>had ftape support, and have verified that I also installed the
>ftape package.
>   When I try to see what's on the tape, using:
>      tar tvf /dev/ftape
>I see the msg "Can't open /dev/ftape  No such device".  I checked the
>/dev directory, and ftape is set up as a link to /dev/rft0, which is
>set up as a char mode device.  The permissions for /dev/rft0 are set
>at crw-r-----.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this msg?
>   I looked at the man pages for tar and mt, as well as the FAQ and
>HOWTO for ftape, but saw nothing that looked similar to this.  I'm
>guessing this is a general unix issue, which, being a newbie, has me
>baffled....

Just try it with

    mt -rewind /dev/rft0

if your tape does something be happy, if not /dev/rft0 is not the
device for your tape. Then you have to try various devices 'til it
works. If you've "found" the tape remove the current ftape link and
set is to the "new" /dev/<your tapedevice>

Much luck!

problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

Post by Rob Kom » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
your entries in the /dev directory should look something like:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Apr 17  1996 /dev/ftape -> rft0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Apr 17  1996 /dev/nftape -> nrft0

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      27,   4 Jul 17  1994 /dev/nrft0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      27,   0 Jul 17  1994 /dev/rft0

It is important that the major and minor device numbers are correct.

If you compiled the ftape support as a module for your kernel,
then it has to be loaded before you can try to access the tape.
For my 2.0.27 kernel, I load the module by typing:

insmod /lib/modules/2.0.27/misc/ftape.o

You can check to see if it's loaded with the `lsmod' command, and
remove the module when you're done with the `rmmod ftape' command.

Cheers,
Rob Komar

problem using ftape "can't open /dev/ftape"

Post by Remco Blaakme » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

ftape "can't open /dev/ftape":

Quote:>Hi,
>your entries in the /dev directory should look something like:

>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            4 Apr 17  1996 /dev/ftape -> rft0
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Apr 17  1996 /dev/nftape -> nrft0

>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      27,   4 Jul 17  1994 /dev/nrft0
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk      27,   0 Jul 17  1994 /dev/rft0

>It is important that the major and minor device numbers are correct.

Yes, but then any user can access the tape. In general, you don't want this.
It is safer to make the permissions 'crw-rw----' and place the users that are
allowed to access the tape in the group named 'disk'. To do this you must be
root. Edit the file /etc/group and find the entry for 'disk'. Then, add a
comma separated list of users at the end of the line, e.g.:

disk:*:6:user1,user2

The same strategy can be used on floppy disks (group floppy), your sound
card (group audio) and in fact any other device group.

Remco
--
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes."

1. Ftape : "Timer Expired" on /dev/ftape problem

I appreciate some help in the following problem with ftape/tar:

I have ftape-1.13b installed in my box with kernel 1.1.24 running on
it. When I try to use tar (ver 1.11.2)  to backup files to a
Conner 250 with

tar cv /dev/ftape my-directory

I'm getting the message

tar: can't write to /dev/ftape : Timer expired

Actually some files are recorded on tape and this problem doesn't
happen if the backup involves less than 3 Mb.

thanks,
Adriano

2. forking and <defunct> ???

3. Q: ftape-0.9.9 ...missing "insmod" "rmmod" etc ?

4. Ethernet Sniffing-Howto?

5. How do I prevent "Timer Expired" error on TAR (with /dev/ftape)?

6. AccessIgnore Apache directive

7. accessing /dev/ftape gives "No such Device"

8. Hardware and Driver for Digital I/O

9. FTAPE installed but tar: /dev/ftape doesn't exist

10. Problem in "Open" Fortran Library while using Exceed "dtterm"

12. Q: Why doesn't "mt" work [ftape-3.02]

13. ftape compilation error, what's "ftape_big_buffer" ?