Iomega Jaz is device type ?

Post by Mark Boste » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Kernel 1.3.80
Slackware 3.0

Kernel has been recompiled for SCSI support for an NCR825 (Tyan S1365) SCSI card.
During boot up the messages show the correct ID recognized. I've tried /dev/sdx1 from
a to f. I have two EIDE/IDE drives (/dev/hda and /dev/hdb. Both these drives are
recognized and easily mounted.

Since the Jaz drive is removable, do I have to call it a different device than sd_1?

Another question is:

How do I keep the drive from using it's default spin down time? I suppose you could use
cron to perform an action every x minutes.

Any tips or pointers will be appreciated.

Iomega Jaz is device type ?

Post by Terry W. Re » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Kernel 1.3.80
> Slackware 3.0

> Kernel has been recompiled for SCSI support for an NCR825 (Tyan S1365)
SCSI card.
> During boot up the messages show the correct ID recognized. I've tried
/dev/sdx1 from
> a to f. I have two EIDE/IDE drives (/dev/hda and /dev/hdb. Both these
drives are
> recognized and easily mounted.

> Since the Jaz drive is removable, do I have to call it a different

device than sd_1?

For the Tools cartridge that comes with the Jaz drive, it appeared as
/dev/sda4, not sda1, on my machine.

Quote:> How do I keep the drive from using it's default spin down time? I

suppose you could use

Quote:> cron to perform an action every x minutes.

Yep, per suggestions posted here, I have cron do "touch /jaz/touch;sync"
every 10 mins (where the Jaz drive is obviously mounted as /jaz).  Crude,
but effective.

--
Terry

1. Fdisk partition type for iomega Jaz 1GB on Solaris 2.4 x86

I've recently purchased an Iomega Jaz internal SCSI unit.  I had no
problems installing it and having the drive recognized by Solaris.
I am now trying to format a Jaz 1GB cartridge for use as a Unix filesystem.
I ran fdisk on the raw device representing the Jaz drive to create a
partition, and looked at the available partition types.  To my surprise,
it listed what appeared to be TWO Unix partition types:  one called "Solaris"
and the other called "Unix".  Does anyone know which partition type is best
for a Jaz cartridge?

Thanks.

Excom Informatics Services
Creating Solaris x86 & Windows NT solutions

2. Where are glibc-2.1.1 binaries?

3. Iomega Jaz 2G + PCMCIA Jaz Card

4. troubles with IBM 4029 printer

5. iomega 2GB jaz drive (with iomega SCSI) and RedHat 5.2, installation problem #3

6. getting "unnamed_cdrom" with vold on x86...?

7. iomega JAZ + iomega SCSI

8. logrotate for Solaris Intel

9. Iomega Jaz drive support?

10. Iomega Jaz as root partition for Solaris x86?

11. Help: problem IOMEGA JAZ

12. Anybody familiar with iomega JAZ drive (SCSI)?

13. Help! Getting lilo to boot to Iomega Jaz