Will UMSDOS work on 1GB hard disk?

Post by Shieh Ping Lu » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Does anyone know if UMSDOS will work on 1G hard disk?  Will there be any
problem since Linux works in CHS mode while MS-DOS can only works in LBA mode
for hard disk capacity greater than 528MB?  Thanks.

Regard,
Shieh

1. MS-DOS >1GB SCSI bug? Hard disk killer

I've just had a hard disk killed by the ms-dos file system.

I'm running kernel 2.0.0 and the disk is a 1.87GB SCSI. With,

Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 244 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            1        1      244  1959898+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

Whenever I write more than 1GB to the disk (as an ms-dos file system) it
seems to wrap around to the beginning of the disk and consequently
corrupt the file system.

Is this a known bug? Is there a patch? Am I doing something wrong?

More info
=========

- Blank disk
- Write X's to a BIG file (1024MB)
- dd the first 10k off the raw disk and you get X's
- filesystem stuffed

Win95 writes more that 1GB without problems.

Help!

--
Andrew Richards
http://www.phys.canterbury.ac.nz/~physajr

2. Error compiling kernel.

3. 14.1GB Hard Disk Configuration

4. Fix use-after-free in tun/tap driver

5. Western Digital Hard Disk 1GB

6. IP Masquerading possible? Perhaps transparent proxies?

7. 1GB Hard-drive doesn't work with LILO

8. KSH and window titles

9. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

10. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

11. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

12. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

13. SCSI hassel: can't fdisk HP 1GB disk (no disk geometery)