sombody PLEASE explain the "LI" issue!

Post by David Murra » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I wish somebody would shed light on the issue where LILO doesn't load,
it only gives you LI and hangs!  I have narrowed it down to an LBA
issue.  It works on all my computers and all my drives so long as I
don't use an LBA drive in a non-LBA computer.. now I have no choice and
I MUST get linux to boot without using a floppy disk.. I am going to
HATE it if I have to re-partition my drive and make it load MS-DOS, then
loadlin from the autoexec.bat in order to do this!   So far I have tried
entering the parameters for my drive with the HD=CYL,HD,SEC with both
the LBA and non LBA settings.. neither helps! PLEASE help!
--DavidM

sombody PLEASE explain the "LI" issue!

Post by John Robert » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You can but a controller with LBA support for non-LBA computers. I had the
same problem with "LI"  so I bought one of these cards. I got the EIDE
Ultima Pro from DTC for $35 at CompUSA.

This is the only correct way to have a LBA drive in a non-LBA computer.

John

Post by bill davids » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

| I wish somebody would shed light on the issue where LILO doesn't load,
| it only gives you LI and hangs!  I have narrowed it down to an LBA
| issue.  It works on all my computers and all my drives so long as I
| don't use an LBA drive in a non-LBA computer.

Good start, you want to use compatible hardware. Like avoiding SCSI
drives in an IDE system.

There are several things you can try. You can put the kernel a boot
load program in the system below cyl 1024 and run normal mode. You
can try setting the 'linear' option in the boot.
--

 "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst
  case, people would die."

sombody PLEASE explain the "LI" issue!

Post by John Coppen » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi David.

   Try this: boot with floppy and execute   hdparms <drive> where
drive is something like  /dev/hda. This will give you the right
parameters
for your hard disk. These must be included in the lilo.conf file.

   John

> I wish somebody would shed light on the issue where LILO doesn't load,
> it only gives you LI and hangs!  I have narrowed it down to an LBA
> issue.  It works on all my computers and all my drives so long as I
> don't use an LBA drive in a non-LBA computer.. now I have no choice and
> I MUST get linux to boot without using a floppy disk.. I am going to
> HATE it if I have to re-partition my drive and make it load MS-DOS, then
> loadlin from the autoexec.bat in order to do this!   So far I have tried
> entering the parameters for my drive with the HD=CYL,HD,SEC with both
> the LBA and non LBA settings.. neither helps! PLEASE help!
> --DavidM

 Faculty of Engineering                 ip    : 44.153.80.21
 Catholic University at Cordoba         call  : LW3HAZ ON6JC

 Nota: Ud. se comunic con un nmero imaginario. Desconecte, rote
       su aparato 90 grado e intente nuevamente.

sombody PLEASE explain the "LI" issue!

Post by John Robert » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> | I wish somebody would shed light on the issue where LILO doesn't load,
> | it only gives you LI and hangs!  I have narrowed it down to an LBA
> | issue.  It works on all my computers and all my drives so long as I
> | don't use an LBA drive in a non-LBA computer.

> Good start, you want to use compatible hardware. Like avoiding SCSI
> drives in an IDE system.

AH HAH! Is *that* why my machine wouldn't work? I had an EIDE controller and a SCSI controller
in it. It worked under DOS, but LILO quit at LI. Is that why?

John

> There are several things you can try. You can put the kernel a boot
> load program in the system below cyl 1024 and run normal mode. You
> can try setting the 'linear' option in the boot.
> --

>  "If I were a diplomat, in the best case I'd go hungry.  In the worst
>   case, people would die."
>                 -- Robert Lipe

sombody PLEASE explain the "LI" issue!

Post by Roger Zutterli » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>AH HAH! Is *that* why my machine wouldn't work? I had an EIDE controller and a SCSI controller
>in it. It worked under DOS, but LILO quit at LI. Is that why?

If using LILO [seems that you are since you get LI] add linear to your
lilo.conf file.

It shouldn't matter what type of controller you have in your system. The
LI indicates that it's a drive geometry mismatch [from the RH site].  I
solved the LI issue by adding the linear option to my lilo.conf file.