mknod with ATAPI CD-ROM

Post by Massimiliano Mammi » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I made an ATAPI CD-ROM device with mknod /dev/hdd b 22 0, but when i run
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom the system responds /dev/hdd is not a block
device. I have just read CD-ROM howto and i compiled the kernel with ATAPI and
iso9660 options set to yes.

Massimiliano.

mknod with ATAPI CD-ROM

Post by John Stephe » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>|I made an ATAPI CD-ROM device with mknod /dev/hdd b 22 0, but when i run
>|mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom the system responds /dev/hdd is not a block
>|device. I have just read CD-ROM howto and i compiled the kernel with ATAPI
and
>|iso9660 options set to yes.
>|
>|Massimiliano.

I just went through this, and got it to work. Not exactly sure what I did
differently, but I know I used slightly different command syntax than you did.

First, check to see if the /dev/hdd special file has been set up properly with
"ls -l /dev/hd*"  To create my /dev/hdd I used "mknod b /dev/hdd 22 0".  The
command should not be sensitive to the order of the arguments, however.

Then, try mounting the crdrom explicitly as readonly.
   "mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdd /cdrom"     It would not work for me if I did
not include the "-r" flag.

Hope this solves the problem for you.

-John-

1. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

Okay, I have been out of this group for some time, and now am
getting setup as a ISP (Internet Service Provider).  I was going to
use Windows/NT but decided that linux offered just a much with very
little start-up cost, as far as server software goes.
I was wondering if someone could spend a couple of minutes to save
me some time.  I read the CD-ROM howto, and am somewhat perplexed
on getting my "Que" Special Editon-Using Linux CD-ROM to be
accepted for installation.  I used the "fips" to make a partition
(250meg) just for the swap/native part of linxu.  But can't get the
setup utility to recognize my cd-rom, it's a "ACER"
Quad/600kb/250ms and uses the IDE/ATAPI interface (connects to the
motherboard, not the Sound-Card).  Is there some way to install off
of the cd-rom or am I going to be forced to do it with floppies?
Thanks for any info.
I'll scan this group for a reply, or if you want, send info on
e-mail.

--

   A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.

2. Red Hat 6.0 and Netscape have serious font bug

3. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

4. SAMBA [2.2.4] User-Management

5. SCSI cd-rom limits (mknod help needed)

6. -- FS Streamworks REAL-TIME AUDIO Server - $1250 Xing

7. New IDE-CD/extended IDE driver supports Sony 55E ATAPI CD-ROM!

8. gethostbyname() - DNS etc... not working

9. atapi cd-rom and CD-Roast

10. problem reading cd - sco install using ATAPI cd-rom drive

11. SB16 PnP ATAPI CD-ROM: play audio CDs?

12. mounting ide/atapi cd-rom

13. help in reading files from ATAPI CD-ROM