Redhat 5.1 Install error: Fatal error opening RPM database

Redhat 5.1 Install error: Fatal error opening RPM database

Post by William Ottl » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi, got a 486 system, with 2 hard drives, maxtor and a WD.
I'm insalling via a WD 260 meg HD (Dos)
it reads from the dos rpms directory,
I choose what files I want, it then tells me about the log file,
then gives me a dialog box: "Fatal error opening RPM database"

When I look at Console 4, this message comes up 3 times:
Unable to Load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)

If anyone can point me to the right direction, I'd really appreaciate
it.

William R. Ottley

Redhat 5.1 Install error: Fatal error opening RPM database

Post by Aaron Fab » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Im having the same problem. :(
Any suggestions on this would be appreciated !!

Aaron Faby

> Hi, got a 486 system, with 2 hard drives, maxtor and a WD.
> I'm insalling via a WD 260 meg HD (Dos)
> it reads from the dos rpms directory,
> I choose what files I want, it then tells me about the log file,
> then gives me a dialog box: "Fatal error opening RPM database"

> When I look at Console 4, this message comes up 3 times:
> Unable to Load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)

> If anyone can point me to the right direction, I'd really appreaciate
> it.

> William R. Ottley

1. RedHat: "Fatal Error opening RPM database" during install

I got the message "Fatal Error opening RPM database" while trying to install
Rembrandt.  This happened just after the hard drives would have been formatted
(if I had selected any to format).

Possibly relevant info from the "install log" screen (vc 3):

(a bunch of mount stuff, setting things up just as I indicated earlier)

* opened /mnt/tmp/install.log
* failed to open /dev/tty5!
* reading /usr/lib/rpmrc
*       done

There doens't seem to be anything relevant on the system log screen (vc 4).
Just a few warnings about mounting unchecked filesystems.

vc 5 only contains the message I get when fdisk is started.

Oh, and I'm using the boot-7.img and supp-7.img disks for the install.

Can anyone help?  If you need more info, let me know and I'll try to provide
it.

-------------------------------------
Name: Trebor A. Rude

Date: 9/18/96
Time: 11:56:53 AM
-------------------------------------

2. How to edit the Xlogin screen

3. Redhat installation: Fatal error opening RPM database

4. A good Linux troubleshooting book

5. R5 install problem; "Fatal Error Opening RPM Database"

6. rmdir(2) weirdness

7. "Fatal error opening RPM database" during LinuxPPC R4 install

8. packet assembly in ip stack, ipfw or whereever

9. HELP! Fatal Error Opening RPM database......

10. Fatal error opening RPM Database

11. Fatal error opening RPM database???

12. Fatal error opening RPM database (followed by sig 11's)

13. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install