Create Red Hat 5.1 CD

Post by Auke Jilderd » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there!

I want to create a Red Hat 5.1 CD with some additional packages (such as
KDE, Netscape, and so on). Sofar, I haven't had much luck:

I downloaded the complete distribution from a mirror side to create the
Red Hat CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator (version 3.5) under Windows NT
4.0 workstation. This software offers four possibilities regarding the
file system:
- ISO9660 with
        a) ISO9660 8.3 character file names
        b) Any MSDOS 8.3 character file names
        c) Long file names (30 chars max.)
- Joliet

I already tried three options: Red Hat's installation tool doesn't
recognise either the ISO9660 with MSDOS names or the ISO9660 with long
file names as Red Hat. Using Joliet crashes the installation process
altogether: However, it recognises the CD using the ISO9660 file system
with M$ Joliet version 3 extension just before issuing a last error
message (cannot load ... char set). Seems to me that the installation
process should exit as gracefully as with the other two options.

In addition, I tried mounting the CD (the ISO9660 with long filenames
version) and copying the complete Red Hat distribution to the harddisk
(using ext2 filesystem). Again, the installation tool didn't recognise a
Red Hat distribution.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Auke

--
Auke Jilderda

Philips Research  (WL p 3-12)
Information & Software Technology               fax: +31 40 2743741
Prof. Holstlaan 4                                 phone: +31 40 2742675
5656 AA  Eindhoven                                       +31 40 2743212

Create Red Hat 5.1 CD

Post by Jim Rig » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 08:17:34 GMT, Auke Jilderda

>I want to create a Red Hat 5.1 CD with some additional packages (such as
>KDE, Netscape, and so on). Sofar, I haven't had much luck:

>I downloaded the complete distribution from a mirror side to create the
>Red Hat CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator (version 3.5) under Windows NT
>4.0 workstation. This software offers four possibilities regarding the
>file system:
>- ISO9660 with
>    a) ISO9660 8.3 character file names
>    b) Any MSDOS 8.3 character file names
>    c) Long file names (30 chars max.)
>- Joliet

Well, do you have access to a Linux box.  If so the easiest thing would be
to download the files to it and make the CD image if you don't have a CD
Writer in the linux box.  There are some dirctories that you will need to
download as tar files by doing a get <dir name>.tar  This will preserve
the permission on the files and directories.

dosutils
gnome
images
misc
RedHat/base
RedHat/instimage

Are the directories that must be done this way.

Next download the updated RPM's and any extras you wish to have installed.
You will have to remove the old RPM's that are being updated since the new
RPM's have a different file name.  And then run

misc/src/install/genhdlis .

From the location of the CD's root.  <what ever directory you downloaded Redhat
to.

then you will need to make the ISO image.

For a bootable Redhat 5.1 cd:

use the following shell script

--------------------------
#!/bin/bash
#
# Generate the RH 5.1 Boot CD.

cd </<enter the directory for what should be root of cd image>
# -A applications ID written to volume header
# -V volume ID written to the master block
# -P publisher ID written to volume header
# -p preparer ID written to volume header

mkisofs \
        -A "Red Hat Linux "  \ # you may change this to whatever you wish
        -V "Red Hat Linux "  \ # May also be changed
        -P "Publisher info " \ # May be what ever you wish
        -p "preparer info "  \ # May also be what ever
        -R -a -v -T \
        -x ./lost+found \
        -o #<please insert location where you wish the image to be saved> \
        -b images/boot.img \
        -c misc/boot/boot.cat
-------------------------------------  end of script ------------------------

To make a non bootable image leave the -b and -c opitons off.

This will create an image.  Usually names .iso which can be burned using
almost any CD writting software on any OS.

Hope this helps.

----
To reply via E-mail, please remove the nospam from the E-mail address.

Create Red Hat 5.1 CD

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi there!

> I want to create a Red Hat 5.1 CD with some additional packages (such as
> KDE, Netscape, and so on). Sofar, I haven't had much luck:

See:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

Quote:> I downloaded the complete distribution from a mirror side to create the
> Red Hat CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator (version 3.5) under Windows NT
> 4.0 workstation.

Unless it's changed from the 3.01 series to 3.5, Easy CD Creator is
unsuitable to this task; it produces a Joliet filesystem that's broken,
from a Red Hat installation point of view.  You can still use it to burn
an image created via mkisofs, though, as described in my web page.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Create Red Hat 5.1 CD

Post by lucindre » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

you might want to look at www.goldenhawk.com also .. their software will cut
pretty much anything < rumor has it they are the only ones that can make
decent PSX copies... but that's just a remor >

> [Posted and mailed]

> > Hi there!

> > I want to create a Red Hat 5.1 CD with some additional packages (such as
> > KDE, Netscape, and so on). Sofar, I haven't had much luck:

> See:

> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

> > I downloaded the complete distribution from a mirror side to create the
> > Red Hat CD using Adaptec Easy CD Creator (version 3.5) under Windows NT
> > 4.0 workstation.

> Unless it's changed from the 3.01 series to 3.5, Easy CD Creator is
> unsuitable to this task; it produces a Joliet filesystem that's broken,
> from a Red Hat installation point of view.  You can still use it to burn
> an image created via mkisofs, though, as described in my web page.

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

Hello everybody - what a beautiful day it is! Let's not get to funked
up, and get yourself a nice little pink flower to put in a orange vase.
Then grab yourself a slice and sit down and enjoy yourself. It can be
done in lot's of different ways -- just go ahead and do it under the
green sun.

Well... Nevermind.

I'm planning to buy Red Hat 5.1 official to replace my Red Hat 5.0 with.
But before I do that I wonder if there are any disadvantages, hazards or
such with RH 5.1, compared to RH 5.0. Is the installation as safe (don't
forget LILO), and things such as X, sound-support, printers and ppp -
are they still well supported, and not buggy or so?

Thanks in advance,

/Henrik

By the way, don't let the opening of this letter make you think that I'm
not serious enough.

2. hostname, solaris 8, dhcp setup

3. Red Hat 5.1 can't create boot disk

4. Installing RH without a boot-floppy or CD

5. Burning a Red Hat 5.1 CD under Windoze

6. Wordperfect 7.0 Hangs...

7. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

8. 2.2.2 Boot Floppy Double Fault

9. Are there any cheap Red Hat 5.1 Alpha CDs?

10. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat 5.1 CD-ROM $1.95

11. NEC 260 CD and Red Hat 5.1

12. Red Hat 5.1 won't mount CD

13. ANNOUNCE: UPDATED Red Hat 5.1 CD $1.95