Moving system from one drive to another

Post by Don Rub » Fri, 10 Feb 1995 03:34:46

I have outgrown the IDE drive I have linux on (2 partitions
1 for linux, 1 swap). Can someone tell me a way to move all
the stuff (including LILO so it will boot) from the linux
partition to a new partition on a larger IDE drive. I then
want to remove the "old" IDE and use it on another PC.
I would prefer not to backup and restore but will do it if
there's no easier way. Thanks...

1. Moving linux system from one hard drive to another

Sounds good to me. This is the way I do it every week:
  o go to single-user
  o umount slave (backup) drive
  o cd /
  o tar -cv (to tape drive)
  o mount slave drive
  o cd to slave drive
  o tar -xv

I also have boot floppies containing:
  o autoboot of master drive
  o autoboot of slave  drive
  o LILO

--
    Tony J. Podrasky       GREAT MOMENTS IN UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION:
     San Diego , Ca        17 July 1995 - <fsck> actually accepts the

QSL? QRU? QRZ? QLZ? QFA?   and it works - saving the disk (and the day).

2. Strange Shutdown Messages

3. Moving drives from one system to another.

4. Substitute of Xt

5. mounting one system to another systems 2nd hard drive

6. Dual Boot Ultra 60 - how ??

7. moving a file system from one VG to another

8. GTK+ helloworld won't compile

9. How to move mount point from one drive to another?

10. Moving Linux from one drive to another

11. Moving a complete system from one disk to another

12. moving directory from one physical drive to another

13. How to move one Linux system to new hardware?