Can't boot Linux Universe Set with Sony CDU535 CD-ROM

Can't boot Linux Universe Set with Sony CDU535 CD-ROM

Post by Fur » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have bought the Linux Universe two CD set and I am having
great difficulty booting.  I give it the command

   'install cdu535 root=/dev/cdu535 sony535=0x340'

It starts the boot process but then fails finally with

'Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 18:00'

And it doesn't indicate it recognizes the Sony CDU535 because
it outputs things like

'no Kotobuki/Matsuchita/Panasonic CD-ROM found'

I have installed an new 850MG harddrive but I don't
think this is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!  I am getting nowhere.

Karen T. Fura

1. Linux Universe won't recognize my CR-574-B Matsushita CD-ROM

Does anyone have a workaround for this?  The sbpcd parameter is supposed to work with
Matsushita/Panasonic/Kotobuki models CR-521/522/523/562/563 however it apparently won't work
with my 574.  This is a "Creative Quad-Speed" model from a Sound Blaster multi-media kit.

I get the following:
mcd = 0x300,10: mcd: get Value timeout
mitsumi get version failed at 0x768
..
..
..

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has a workaround for this short of copying
the whole CD-ROM to a DOS partition for the install.  I would like to keep the option of
running partially off the CD-ROM.

2. 2.4 lpsched's keep re-creating and re-printing a job

3. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

4. Removing boot pause

5. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

6. Epson 600 setup

7. can't load Linux with Sony CD-ROM 33

8. audiotool in AIX Motif ??

9. Using SUN CD ROM (SONY CD-ROM) with Ultri

10. Linux Universe CD-Rom

11. Setting up REVEAL CD-ROM (Sony CDU31A)

12. Setting up ZIP drive and ATAPI CD-ROM (Sony CDU-76E)

13. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM