AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by David H. Hovemey » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

My AMD DX2/80 works fine.  However, it required some changes to the
jumpers on the mainboard: these were in addition to changing the clock
speed.  Assuming your mainboard supports the AMD chip, you should be
able to contact the vendor to find out the correct settings.

My mainboard arrived with incorrect settings, and it did have some strange
problems (failing to start on the initial power up, failing to reset,
etc.)  I would suspect your mainboard, not the CPU.

Dave

: Steve

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Tim P. Hock » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

no probs with mine either.   Does your board specifically handle AMD chips?  I
had to have my SiS replaced to use the AMD 3.3volt

works great for me..
--
_______________________________________________|_|________|__/_________________
Tim Hockin -- STV 414b 438-7770      |         | |  _   _ |/

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Matthias Kue » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

: Steve

I have the same problem with the AMS DX/4 on an old ASUS-SPG3 board.
Switching the second level cache off helps, but does not solve the problem.

Bye
   Matthias

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by L. Donovan Hei » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
>: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root
filesystem
>: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a
CTRL-ALT-DEL
>: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with
the
>: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the
Cyrix
>: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

>My AMD DX2/80 works fine.  However, it required some changes to the
>jumpers on the mainboard: these were in addition to changing the clock
>speed.  Assuming your mainboard supports the AMD chip, you should be
>able to contact the vendor to find out the correct settings.

>My mainboard arrived with incorrect settings, and it did have some
strange
>problems (failing to start on the initial power up, failing to reset,
>etc.)  I would suspect your mainboard, not the CPU.

My AMD 486DX2-80 Motherboard also showed up with the wrong jumpers set.
 In fact, it even shorted out the power supply!  But once I got the
jumpers set right, it's been very reliable ever since.

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Steven M. Gal » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>My AMD DX2/80 works fine.  However, it required some changes to the
>jumpers on the mainboard: these were in addition to changing the clock
>speed.  Assuming your mainboard supports the AMD chip, you should be
>able to contact the vendor to find out the correct settings.

>My mainboard arrived with incorrect settings, and it did have some strange
>problems (failing to start on the initial power up, failing to reset,
>etc.)  I would suspect your mainboard, not the CPU.

Yeah, that was the problem.  My motherboard can't be rejumpered for the AMD
chip, though.  It took me a while on the phone with the tech support from
AMD to figure out that the AMD chip is instruction set compatible but
_not_ pin compatible with the Intel chip.  When returning the chip the
tech support guy from the dealer was giving me a hard time insisting that
the AMD chip was a better chip.  I explained that it wasn't pin compatible
with Intel, and he argued that it was.  I told him that AMD told me that it
wasn't and he shut up.  :-)

Funny thing was I told him that when I booted the kernel would hang.  He
said "What's a kernel?"  Ugh...

Steve

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Serendipitous Freelance Hack » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

 | read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
 | I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
 | AMD dx2-80?
 +----

I saw the chance to build cheap net nodes (no monitor/card, no
keyboard, no floppy) and started with an AMD 486-80.  No
problems yet, except for a really low bogomip rating. :)

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Steven M. Gal » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

Steve

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Joerg Mert » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

: the AMD chip was a better chip.  I explained that it wasn't pin compatible
: with Intel, and he argued that it was.  I told him that AMD told me that it
: wasn't and he shut up.  :-)

: Funny thing was I told him that when I booted the kernel would hang.  He
: said "What's a kernel?"  Ugh...
nothing really new to me. I always have to explain these "Tech Support (??!) "
why I can't use this or that with LiNUX. And when they tell me: "But
it works with Dos" I always have to tell them, "but Dos is not a
multiuser preemptive multitasking system". They just want to sell
their Stuff and don't care if it works or not.
: Steve

cu
--
Solong & Happy Hacking

| Stardust's Linux System :   Data, Fax & Voice 49 30 3627345          |
`Fatal Error: Found [MS-Windows] System -> Repartitioning Disk for LinuX...'

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Steve Sulatyc » Sun, 07 May 1995 04:00:00

: I just upgraded from a cyrix 486dx2-66 to an AMD 486dx2-80 but I'm
: having problems.  At bootup I get as far as mounting the root filesystem
: read-only and then init starts and it just hangs.  If I try a CTRL-ALT-DEL
: I get a kernel error and it dies.  Has anyone had any problems with the
: AMD dx2-80?  I ordered a Cyrix since I've had no problems with the Cyrix
: chips but they send me an AMD - I'm sending it back tomorrow.

: Steve

The Cyrix and AMD chips are different voltages.  In particular, Cyrix
uses an odd voltage of 4v, not 3.3v and not 5v - well maybe some use 5v,
I'm not sure.  I you have new AMD chip it's most likely 3.3v.  If you
really want to solve the problem, post to a more appropriate newsgroup
such as comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips.  You will get better info there.
This problem has nothing to do with Linux at all. BTW, a lot of AMD-80's
have been overclocked to 100MHz with no problems - the same is not true
of the Cyrix chips.

Steve

       |                    Stephen J. Sulatycki                     |
       | Center for Excellence in Computer Aided Systems Engineering |
       | 345 Nichols Hall, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045  |

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Bill Davids » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm running a number of AMD 80's, and have not had problems. I have both
5v and 3.3v versions going, including this system which uses a
motherboard which will not run Windoze but does run Linux.

I suspect the motherboard, either configuration or design, rather than
the chip.
--
I do not pick my enemies based on race, religion, gender, education,
dietary preferences, social or financial status or country of origin.

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Bill Davids » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

| I saw the chance to build cheap net nodes (no monitor/card, no
| keyboard, no floppy) and started with an AMD 486-80.  No
| problems yet, except for a really low bogomip rating. :)

I see a rating of 40.3 on AMDs, 36.4 on Pentiums. Shows what the BM
rating is worth, no?
--

Post by Tim Bas » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

: | problems yet, except for a really low bogomip rating. :)

: I see a rating of 40.3 on AMDs, 36.4 on Pentiums. Shows what the BM
: rating is worth, no?

The bogomips are really bogus.  For some real engineering benchmarks
checkout:

http://www.silkroad.com/bass/linux/bm.html

I think you will agree with the results.  RAM is the key!

--
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Tim Bass                           |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer | "don't feel like the Lone Ranger....
| SRG, Ltd.                          |
|                                    |  ....you're not even Tonto yet ...."
|  http://www.silkroad.com/          |

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD 486dx2-80 problems?

Post by Graham Crowde » Wed, 10 May 1995 04:00:00

[snip]

: Funny thing was I told him that when I booted the kernel would hang.  He
: said "What's a kernel?"  Ugh...

[snip]

Ha, I can go one better than that. I foolishly went into Tandy (Radio Shack)
a couple of months ago for a SCSI cable. The answer was "SCSI?  Oh that
is a brand name, isn't it?"

Graham

--

Technical Support Officer, Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council,
Huyton, Merseyside, ENGLAND.  Tel 0151 443 3660 direct; fax 0151 443 3814

1. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! AMD 486DX2 80 CHIP!

I am thinking of updating my 486 DX 33 (intel) chip and mother board to an AMD
486 DX2 80 chip from Galaxy Computers.  Does anyone know anything about this
chip, or about this company?  If not, can you reccomend a good source for
a similiar chip and mother board?  BTW, the Galaxy price on this arrangement
(486 DX2 80 AMD, mother board includes seven expan. 3 VLB and 4 ISA it comes
with the ZIP socket for P-90 upgrades and has a 72 hour burn-in) for about
365$  Is this great or am i just missing something?  Information would be

eciated very much.  Email at:

Thank You very much in advance.  AND, the reason I posted to THIS group...
Are there any conflicts between the 80 Mhz AMD chip and Linux?  I have heard
that Linux doesn't like chips higher that 66Mhz  is this true?  Thanks again.

Warren Timmer

2. flock fnctl

3. FS: 486DX2-80 system (running FreeBSD)

4. Redhat setup for internet?

5. kernel: 80 80 80 80

6. Cannot make Linux 1.2.13 with Slackware 3.1

7. lilo L 80 80 80 80.....

8. complex routing problem

9. Upgrade 486DX2/80 to (???) ?

10. LILO & SCSI - L 80 80 80?

11. Lilo gives me an "L 80 80 80"

12. LILO "L 80 80 ... 80" Message

13. Any problems with AMD 486DX2-66 and linux ??