swap doesn't unmout properly

Post by ken pil » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:47:54

Some advice please ladies and gentlemen....

My SuSE 7.0 machine sometimes gets stuck when shutting down at the point
where the swapfile is "unmounted". Unfortunately this is before the
system partitions have unmounted, so on the next boot all my partitons
have to be scanned, which is tedious and no doubt unhealthy. Can anyone
help me work out why this is happening, and is it safe/possible to get
the system unmounted before the swap partition.

My system is a dual P500III with 512Mb DRAM and 102Mb swap partition.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Pile

swap doesn't unmout properly

Post by Duane Healin » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:28:50

In a feverish moment of semi-lucidity, "ken pile"

Quote:> Some advice please ladies and gentlemen....

> My SuSE 7.0 machine sometimes gets stuck when shutting down at the point
> where the swapfile is "unmounted". Unfortunately this is before the
> system partitions have unmounted, so on the next boot all my partitons
> have to be scanned, which is tedious and no doubt unhealthy. Can anyone
> help me work out why this is happening, and is it safe/possible to get
> the system unmounted before the swap partition.

The first thing I'd try is deactivating the swap with "swapoff" then
reinitialize it with bad block checking "mkswap -c" and reactivating with
"swapon" to see if that solves your problem. Perhaps the swap partition
got corrupted somehow?

--
-Duane
-DNAware SoftLabs

Post by Juergen Hein » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:05:05

>Some advice please ladies and gentlemen....

>My SuSE 7.0 machine sometimes gets stuck when shutting down at the point
>where the swapfile is "unmounted". Unfortunately this is before the
>system partitions have unmounted, so on the next boot all my partitons
>have to be scanned, which is tedious and no doubt unhealthy. Can anyone
>help me work out why this is happening, and is it safe/possible to get
>the system unmounted before the swap partition.

[-]
Sounds rather strange as you don't (u)mount a swap partition, but
use swapoff, so is it a file or is it a dedicated partition since you
mentioned both.

Ta',
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /

Post by Robert Davie » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:27:59

> Some advice please ladies and gentlemen....

> My SuSE 7.0 machine sometimes gets stuck when shutting down at the point
> where the swapfile is "unmounted". Unfortunately this is before the
> system partitions have unmounted, so on the next boot all my partitons
> have to be scanned, which is tedious and no doubt unhealthy. Can anyone
> help me work out why this is happening, and is it safe/possible to get
> the system unmounted before the swap partition.

A recent thread on the LKML suggested you should be safe enough just
commenting out 'swapoff', as it's a bit pointless really, unless you are
using swap files, rather than partitions.

Rob

swap doesn't unmout properly

Post by ken pil » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:38:45

Are you suggesting I might have to recompile my kernel after some file
editing?

I looked at some of the threads, but couldn't come to a conclusion wether it
was wise to play around with the kernel which is what I think was being
suggested.

There is a swapoff command I could use just before shutdown. The handbook that
comes with SuSE 7.0 suggests that you should never assign no swap space at
all, even with machines with 256Mb and over, and even suggest you should never
turn the machine off because of the benefits of the way Linux uses the swap
file

I'm hoping that I will be able to find out why the swap doesn't always turn
off, but in the meantime "swapoff" will put me out of a bit of misery :-)

Thanks,

Ken

Post by Robert Davie » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:17:57

> Are you suggesting I might have to recompile my kernel after some file
> editing?

Ken, no, just find the script (maybe in /*/init.d which calls swapoff)
command.  It should say 'swapoff -a'.

It may be somewhere else, some kind of shutdown script, which runs after
the run level stuff, a bit like boot.local.

Quote:> I looked at some of the threads, but couldn't come to a conclusion wether
> it was wise to play around with the kernel which is what I think was being
> suggested.

They're trying to fix the real problem, the work round is _not_ to do
swapoff at all, why bother when you're shutting the machine down?

Quote:> There is a swapoff command I could use just before shutdown. The handbook
> that comes with SuSE 7.0 suggests that you should never assign no swap
> space at all, even with machines with 256Mb and over, and even suggest you
> should never turn the machine off because of the benefits of the way Linux
> uses the swap file

I suggest avoiding calling it, as your initial post suggested that was
causing problems.

Quote:> I'm hoping that I will be able to find out why the swap doesn't always
> turn off, but in the meantime "swapoff" will put me out of a bit of misery

A bug. :)

Hope that's clearer now

Rob

Post by ken pil » Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:00:29

> Hope that's clearer now

> Rob

Thank you Rob. A little wiser now :-)

Ken

1. 'less' command doesn't work properly in searching strings...

I got here less-205 which is a paginator better than "more".
(Works in SunOs 4.*, Ultrix, HP-UX).

Did someone compiled it for Solares2.4

The version I compiled doesnt search strings properly, any hints?

--

--- Ricky.  (Another Unix Hacker)
                                                                  \||/

| Software Engineer in R&D Dpt.                              |   / (__,,,,|
| Fibronics Ltd., Matam Industrial Park, Haifa 31905, Israel |^\/ _)

|    Fax: +972-4-313342   http://www.fibronics.co.il/~ricky/ |  / _)
+------------------------------------------------------------+  | )_)
                                                  <  >      |(,,) )__)
P.D. "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons -    ||      /    \)___)\
      for them you are crunchy and                 | \____(      )___) )___
      go well with ketchup"                         \______(_______;;; __;;;

2. Multiple Ethernet Cards - HOW????

3. 'su -c' doesn't work properly?

4. set up printer

5. > ksh children won't die ; exec doesn't work properly (solution)

6. grafic-driver for hercules 3D Prophet II MX (GeForce 2) available?

7. ksh children won't die ; exec doesn't work properly; ksh -p

8. User Authentication with web page

9. fetchmail doesn't deposit mail properly

10. alsaconf doesn't recognize & configure AD1980 chip properly

11. Shutdown -h now doesn't unmount properly

12. ANSI term type in linux doesn't behave properly?

13. PSF doesn't work properly