Transfer all account to other Linux box

Post by Gandalf Parke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>     I need to migrate a old slackware linux to a new PC installed with
> RH. How can I transfer all user account, include password, mail spool,
> home directories...etc to new PC?

I just tackled the same project.

Basically I tar'd the user directorys and the mail spool dir, FTP'd them
over, and unpacked them on the new system.

Im not sure if the passwd and shadow password file would be compatible in
your case or not but I copied those over also and they worked for me.

If you run virtual domains then you may also have to concern yourself with
sendmail.cw and httpd.conf. Also /etc/aliases if you used it.

lastly just to be sure I ran a find for all files that were not in the
users home dirs that had changed since the original OS was installed. I
ran that to a list so I could browse it. That showed me a couple files I
had missed and some additional packages that we had installed which I had
forgotten.

Gandalf
Sure I'm a guru but beware of asking guru's what operating system you
should get. Guru's tend toward the most irritating system they can find.
Thats how they get to be guru's. Instead ask someone who uses a computer
everyday and still knows nothing about computers.   Me?  Oh, I use Unix.

Post by smn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,
>     I need to migrate a old slackware linux to a new PC installed with
> RH. How can I transfer all user account, include password, mail spool,
> home directories...etc to new PC?

> Thanks

I oid this my doing a minimal install on a new drive.  I verified it
would boot right (it did).  Then I mounted the old drive as /dev/hdb and
copied over stuff into it's rightful place.  Be sure to read the Hard
Drive Upgrade-HOWTO on which directories to copy (all but /proc) and
other helpful info.  Lilo gets me usually....

Just be sure you clean up your /etc/rc.d directory and back up the newer
/etc/lilo.conf if the partitions are different.

By doing the minimal install I ease my * pressure a bit and don't
risk fsck'ing the LILO part.  Copy the stuff over is a piece of cake and
the entire process should be very painless.

- Scott

--
Never do windows again with
         __

No streaking, haze, or glaze.

Transfer all account to other Linux box

Post by Wah!! » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
    I need to migrate a old slackware linux to a new PC installed with
RH. How can I transfer all user account, include password, mail spool,
home directories...etc to new PC?

Thanks

Transfer all account to other Linux box

Post by Roberto Mell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

        - Setup NFS on both computers
        - Mount the old box in a directory in the new box
        - Copy the files /etc/passwd, /etc/passwd-, /etc/shadow, /etc/shadow-,
/etc/group, /etc/group- from the old box to the new box.
        - Then you have to move the /home directories:

        let's say the old box is mounted in /old in the new box, do this:

        cd /old/home

        tar cf - . | (cd /home; tar xvf -)

        This will copy all the files in the old box /home to the new box home
preserving ownership. You can use the same procedure to copy the files
in /var/spool/mail

        I've done this successfully in at least 4 boxes.

        []s,

--

 * Computer Science - Utah State University
 * http://linux.brasileiro.net - http://linux.usu.edu

1. Some Linux help please w/ user accounts and others

Ok. I'm new to linux. I've just freshly installed linux 7.0 workstation and
checking it out.
I've worked around with linuxcnf to create user accounts and stuff.

I want total control of the user account. I want to restrict the user what
program the user can run, options, user prohibited from installing any
programs, and etc...
For example, I want so much control that user "A" can only use the internet.
This would be the "Internet Only" account.  How would I do achieve this?
I could have installed the wrong package. Perhaps "server" class would have
been better.
Any help is appretiated. Just tell me what to do. I can reinstall all over
again. It's only on a 'dummy' computer.

Two.
It came to my attention that mswindow users can bring up linux interface
through the network. It's like win2k's terminal server. The client
(mswindow) user, through some program, loads the linux interface across the
network. Any help on this topic would be very generous.

Third.
Does linux offer robust FTP capabilities without other third party programs?
With workstation or server class installation, could I have set up a robust,
full featured FTP server? If yes, some guidance would be nice. If no, could
you be kind enough to lead me to some reliable, secure and robust
third-party programs.

Thanks a Million!

If replying by "reply by email," remove "nospam."

2. Newbie here: CD-ROM image does not boot Sparcstation 20

3. Microsoft losing big accounts to Linux, others.

4. Difference between 3c589B and 3c589C for DHCP

5. Two linux boxes don't see each others ...

6. Help with mounting Mitsumi FX001DE CDROM [D [D [D [D [DIDE CDROM.

7. Pass Users and groups on 1 Linux box to others?

8. Questions about the dot-clocks

9. X on one linux box use it on others?

10. Ethernet link 2 linux boxes to transfer big files ?

11. unable to transfer large file between my two linux boxes

12. FTP/HTTP transfer rate slows down w/ time through LINUX BOX & IP Masquerading...

13. Transfer Data from the Linux box to NT