Trans-Ameritech announcing: Linuxware (tm)

Trans-Ameritech announcing: Linuxware (tm)

Post by Roman Yanovsky ro.. » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 05:25:27

                    Trans-Ameritech Systems announcing:
LinuxWare(tm) - the easiest Linux to install ever, even for a first time user.

A powerful 100% UNIX(R) compatible Operating System for your desktop PC!

Join the world of power PC users by unleashing the full power of your computer!
Enjoy the true multi-tasking and multi-user operating system with hundreds of
applications, yet very easy to install, for a price of DOS!

The broad acceptance of Linux started with the SLS distribution that provided
a relatively simple way of installing Linux on a PC. The Slackware
distribution was a logical continuation and improvement on the original SLS.
Now Trans-Ameritech Systems, the company that was the first to put Slackware
on a CD-ROM, pioneered the live filesystem and a UMSDOS-based Test Drive, made
the next step in convenience of Linux installation - LinuxWare!

Even if you never had a chance to deal with Linux or Unix before but know how
to run Microsoft Windows, you can use LinuxWare. The only requirement is that
you have an UNCOMPRESSED drive C: with at least 25 MB of available space on
your 386 or better PC.

No boot floppies are required. You can install from ANY CD-ROM that DOS can
read!

Here is how it works: start a Microsoft Windows based "setup" program from the
CD-ROM and go through several simple dialogs to select the software you want
to install and answer a few questions about your hardware. LinuxWare will do
the rest. After the Windows part of the setup is done, a new program group is
created for you with 4 items:

1. setup itself to change options later
2. xf86conf rewritten for Windows interface to fine-tune X-Windows
3. DVI viewer to read all the Linux Documentation Project files on-line
4. A Windows-based browser for the Linux Software Map

To run Linux, just exit Windows, cd to \linux and type "linux". LinuxWare will
do the rest 100% automatically!
When it is done, you can log in as "x" and get a PRECONFIGURED X-Windows
desktop with editors, spreadsheet, file manager etc. or log in as "root" and
do your own system administration.

If you prefer to use the slackware tools afterwards or from the very beginning,
the full compatibility is preserved.
Needles to say, LinuxWare 1.0 comes with a full uncompressed live filesystem
and many neat things in the "extras" directory.
The full updated Linux Documentation Project distribution is available, as
well as all the HOWTO files. Almost all documents are available in source, DVI
and ps formats ready for viewing or printing.

The main features:

  - multiple terminals and full X-Windows environment
  - all network services available - workstation and SERVER CD-ROM
    on-line to save disk space
  - complete on-line documentation
  - automatic detection of most hardware
  - easy and flexible installation with GUI

APPLICATIONS:

  - Communications
  - Internet access, news, E-mail
  - Word processing, professional quality typesetting
  - Database
  - Spreadsheets
  - Graphics tools
  - Fax send and receive
  - C/C++ compiler and de*
  - Productivity tools - calendar, schedule etc.

NEW in this Release
  - Linux kernel version 1.1.91
  - new XFree(tm) 3.1.1
  - Support for PCMCIA hardware
  - new DOOM 1.8 for Linux, now you can run it without X-Windows
  - ROCAT 0.86 and DREALM 0.7 popular BBS's for Linux
  - SVGAFFT spectrum analyzer for Linux
  - PPIC 0.3 image processing software
  - SCEND 0.5 simple Linux configuration editor
  - XGROK 1.1 a desktop database manager and GUI builder

System requirements:

  - 386 or better CPU
  - ISA, VESA or EISA bus (not MicroChannel)
  - 4 MB of RAM, at least 8 MB recommended
  - 25 MB minimum of UNCOMPRESSED hard disk space
  - ANY CD-ROM drive that DOS understands for installation

Supported under Linux:

  - IDE, SCSI, MFM, RLL and ESDI hard drives
  - all SCSI CD-ROM drives with supported controllers
  - Sony, Panasonic, Mitsumi and ATAPI non-SCSI CD-ROM drives
  - most tape drives
  - most 8 and 16 bit SOUND CARDS
  - data and FAX modems
  - most internal and external ETHERNET cards
  - from MONO to TRUE COLOR video cards

Pricing:

The price for our current LinuxWare(tm) CD is          $30

Below is the ordering information.

You can order by E-mail, by phone (408)727-3883 or FAX (408)727-3882.

If you prefer to send a cheque/money order, our address is:

Trans-Ameritech Systems, Inc.
2342A Walsh Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95051
USA

If you order with a credit card (VISA, M/C, American Express) please indicate
the card number, expiration date and your mailing address.

The order will be processed and the CD shipped the same day.

Shipping and handling in US is $5, Canada/Mexico $6, Overseas $8.
COD is available in the US only for $4.50

California residents please add sales tax.

Annual subscriptions (4 Regular Releases) are available for $80 plus s&h.
(note: there are 4 shipments in a subscription)
Example subscription in US is: $80 + $5 * 4 = $100
Subscription in Europe/Japan etc. is: $80 + $8 * 4 = $ 112

If you have any further questions, please contact us at

Trans-Ameritech Systems, Inc.
2342A Walsh Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95051
USA

Phone (408)727-3883
FAX   (408)727-3882.

Trans-Ameritech announcing: Linuxware (tm)

Post by Robert Van Za » Sun, 05 Mar 1995 23:42:39

.....lot's of stuff about their new cd offering.

    Is it just me, or does anyone else long for a simple CD set that might
read something like:

        Mirrors = sunsite, tsx-11, ucsd, (insert several favorites here).

    Note period at end of previous line, as in I *don't* need live file
systems on CD, bootable CD's, and snapshots of barely-started-yet-huge
works in progress.  More useful would be a collection of as many ftp
sites as possible as up-to-date as possible.  While I'm dreaming, let's
eliminate file dups, leaving only the latest versions.  Monumental task,
I know.....

rvz

Robert Van Zant                                   Sevenex Public Access Linux

Trans-Ameritech announcing: Linuxware (tm)

Post by Matt Wel » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 13:57:39

Quote:>    Is it just me, or does anyone else long for a simple CD set that might
>read something like:

>        Mirrors = sunsite, tsx-11, ucsd, (insert several favorites here).

InfoMagic Linux Developer's Resource. A 3 CD set with just that, and a
few extra things---but all "vanilla" stuff from the Net. This is what
I usually recommend to new Linux hackers who know UNIX. It's a lot less
confusing, IMHO, to go with the tried-and-true software from the net
(Slackware) than using someone else's idea of what a Linux system should
be.

Look at it this way: A lot of these new products are aimed at people
who don't want to _think_ about Linux---they just want to run it. They
don't want to be burdened with the annoying task of repartitioning or
writing an XConfig file. That's all well and fine, but do people who
rely upon such software really know what it takes to use it to its
fullest extent? I login to the new LinuxWare system, type "x", and
a spreadsheet, Emacs, and a file manager pops up on the screen for me.
How inclined am I to modify this configuration which I know nothing about
(and am told nothing about, other than "here it is, now use it")? Most
people don't bother to customize or configure a system for themselves
if it seems to work when they sit down at it for the first time. Maybe
they don't like the file manager's location on the screen or the key
macros for the spreadsheet. But they'd rather use the system as-is
instead of take all of the time necessary to _read_ something in order
to fix it. They haven't had to read a damn thing so far, so why bother
now? Ignorance is bliss.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I think that such a system
cheats the user out of the knowledge that they need to really take care of
a Linux system, not to mention the fun and appreciation of doing _some_ of
the work yourself. And it's not all fun---it's power. If you really know
how to hack a Linux system you can do things like port software, tweak
the hell out of a program so it works in a completely new way for you,
and basically break all of the barriers placed there to help novices get
around. If you never learn how to do these things you'll be restricted,
to a great deal, and won't have the knowledge to be a "power user" to the
extent where the system works _exactly_ how you want it to. It sounds like
LinuxWare uses UMSDOS for everything and defines how your filesystems are
organized, and perhaps what software is installed for you. You couldn't
take something like LinuxWare and use it as the data acquisition system for
a hybrid electric vehicle (which is what I'm doing with a small Slackware
system at Cornell). You couldn't use it reliably for scientific, real-time,
or embedded applications. Maybe it's great for you if you want to install
and run Linux within 15 minutes of popping the CD into the drive, but when
it comes to performance and scalability, it doesn't sound like such a good
idea.

If you're tied into "smart" programs which do all of the installation and
system configuration for you, you have no way out if something ahould go
awry. I'd rather document system configuration on a lower level so that
people know enough to solve problems themselves. That doesn't mean that
nice, high-level interfaces shouldn't be developed---but those interfaces
should retain low-level hooks to allow people with different needs to use
them in curious ways. An automated program may not allow you to install
Linux on multiple partitions---especially if it's using UMSDOS. This may be
desirable for some people, but for the majority of folks it loses heavily.
One someone gets into Linux and realizes that they need better performance
and flexibility than UMSDOS can provide, they'll be stuck. The more
simplified the interface, often the less flexible it is. That's my only
real complaint.

The InfoMagic disc does have a live filesystem. This is very nice, even
if you don't plan to run the system "from the CD". I have /usr/man a link
to the live filesystem, as well as some other immutable things like Info
pages and ispell dictionaries. Also, you wouldn't believe how many times
I've used the live fs to recover an accidentally-deleted or mangled file.
A lot easier than routing through the Bogus disksets to find what I need.
It's like a system backup on the CD.

mdw

Trans-Ameritech announcing: Linuxware (tm)

Post by Aaron Sn » Tue, 07 Mar 1995 14:32:00

Now, let's not get too religious . . .

Quote:> Look at it this way: A lot of these new products are aimed at people
> who don't want to _think_ about Linux---they just want to run it. They
> don't want to be burdened with the annoying task of repartitioning or
> writing an XConfig file. That's all well and fine, but do people who
> rely upon such software really know what it takes to use it to its
> fullest extent? . . .
> How inclined am I to modify this configuration which I know nothing about
> (and am told nothing about, other than "here it is, now use it")? Most

I, for one, would have loved to have my X Windows system up and
running when I first installed Linux, rather than having to futz for
several hours!  As I wanted to make modifications to the setup, I
could have learned *without* beating my head against a wall all the
time.  I started on Linux knowing quite a bit about UNIX but almost
nil about X.

Besides, not all of us run Linux because we want to engage ourselves
in an exercise of "us[ing] it to its fullest extent."  Some of us use
Linux because it's an affordable, pleasant UNIX alternative.

Quote:> I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I think that such a system
> cheats the user out of the knowledge that they need . . .
>                                                 . . . If you really know
> how to hack a Linux system you can do things like port software . . .
>   . . . If you never learn how to do these things you'll be restricted,
> [etc.]

Some of us love Linux, but just don't have the luxury of the time
necessary to do all this; and even if we did, some of us might not be
interested in knowing how to "hack a Linux system".

--

 - Aaron                | "I ain't here on business, I'm only here

Post by James Thom » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 09:49:34

>Now, let's not get too religious . . .

>I, for one, would have loved to have my X Windows system up and
>running when I first installed Linux, rather than having to futz for
>several hours!

>Some of us use Linux because it's an affordable, pleasant UNIX alternative.

>Some of us love Linux, but just don't have the luxury of the time
>necessary to do all this; and even if we did, some of us might not be
>interested in knowing how to "hack a Linux system".

ditto for me! And here I just sent off for the cd after seeing  TransAm
listed as a source in the back of Matt's book...'thought it as a kind of
seal of approval.

At home, I'm still hacking a REAL Linux (and still trying to work my way
up to a slip or ppp connection). In time it will come easier, but at work
I've gone the EASY route and installed Xdenu for several people because
all they want is a functional Xterminal and they don't really go for the
idea of repartitioning their hard drive. If it works; why not?

--
Jim Thomas
McMaster Nuclear Reactor

Post by Jim Nan » Thu, 09 Mar 1995 21:48:21

Quote:>     Is it just me, or does anyone else long for a simple CD set that might
> read something like:

>         Mirrors = sunsite, tsx-11, ucsd, (insert several favorites here).

>     Note period at end of previous line, as in I *don't* need live file
> systems on CD, bootable CD's, and snapshots of barely-started-yet-huge
> works in progress.  More useful would be a collection of as many ftp
> sites as possible as up-to-date as possible.  While I'm dreaming, let's
> eliminate file dups, leaving only the latest versions.  Monumental task,
> I know.....

Infomagic developers kit is exactly what you want.  Well not exactly, since I
don't think they removed the duplicates, but it has all of tsx-11 and sunsite
on it.  I think they make another CD where you can get the BSD stuff.

Jim

         ***************** LCBS **********************
: I, for one, would have loved to have my X Windows system up and
: running when I first installed Linux, rather than having to futz for
: several hours!  As I wanted to make modifications to the setup, I
         ***************** LCBS **********************
: Some of us love Linux, but just don't have the luxury of the time
: necessary to do all this; and even if we did, some of us might not be
: interested in knowing how to "hack a Linux system".

  I have to agree with Aaron.  While I have far too much curiousity and
love for tinkering with all manner of things, I *will not* wish it on
anyone else.  There are plenty of things in my life that I simply wish
to use without learning every nut and bolt before I do.  If I spent all
my time learning to be a "Power User" with everything I own I'd never
get very much done.  I'd have the hightest quality but at what cost?
  In short... There's far too much to know!  Learn as much as you need
to get the quality required or satisfy your own curiousity.  Let
Michellin <TM> study wheels to invent better ones, you and I will
sell'em software and we'll all do well.

* NOTE:  LCBS = Lossfull Compression Bandwidth Savings.
|   Steve Gillen                     |  I speak for mysELF, my employers   |
|   Electronics Technologist         |  speak for themsELVES and most      |
|   Queens University Physics        |  ELVES don't speak to either of us. |
|   Kingston, Ont. Canada            |                                     |