SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?

Post by John Thoma » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:26:54

I had my scsi Zip working fine in RH 5.4,  but it doesn't work in RH
6.2.  "locate" finds the aha152x modules, but modprobe produces an error
message:  "device or resource busy...".

cat /proc/ioports and cat /proc/interrupts shows the appropriate ports
and interrupt are not used by anything.

I have a Suse distribution on another machine and it uses an rc.config
file with INITRD lines for the aha152x driver.  Apparently Red Hat does
it another way.

Any ideas or where to look next will be greatly appreciated.

Linux reminds me of what von Clauswitz said of war:  "Everything is
simple, but the simplest things are difficult."

John Thomas

SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?

Post by Michael Per » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 01:29:39

>I had my scsi Zip working fine in RH 5.4,  but it doesn't work in RH
>6.2.  "locate" finds the aha152x modules, but modprobe produces an error
>message:  "device or resource busy...".

>cat /proc/ioports and cat /proc/interrupts shows the appropriate ports
>and interrupt are not used by anything.

>I have a Suse distribution on another machine and it uses an rc.config
>file with INITRD lines for the aha152x driver.  Apparently Red Hat does
>it another way.

>Any ideas or where to look next will be greatly appreciated.

>Linux reminds me of what von Clauswitz said of war:  "Everything is
>simple, but the simplest things are difficult."

>John Thomas

Give us a print out of what modules you already have loaded.  Try doing as
the root user "lsmod" and capture them to a folloup post.  There are a few
modules which redhat should include and load upon demand.  The interesting
one to see are whether st, sg, and a module for your adaptec card is already
loaded by redhat.  RedHat by default includes almost the kitchen sink as
modules available for use.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?

Post by John Thoma » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:58:31

> Give us a print out of what modules you already have loaded.  Try doing as
> the root user "lsmod" and capture them to a folloup post.  There are a few
> modules which redhat should include and load upon demand.  The interesting
> one to see are whether st, sg, and a module for your adaptec card is already
> loaded by redhat.  RedHat by default includes almost the kitchen sink as
> modules available for use.

Here's what I get with lsmod:

Module Size Used by
ppp 20268 2 (autoclean)
slhc 4568 0 (autoclean) [ppp]
lockd 31592 1 (autoclean)
sunrpc 53540 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
opl3 11496 0
sb 34132 0
uart401 6256 0 [sb]
sound 58264 0 [opl3 sb uart401]
soundlow 420 0 [sound]
soundcore 2692 6 [sb sound]

Is this what I should see, or is there something else?  Obviously, the aha152x
module isn't loaded.

JT

SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 01:32:00

>> Give us a print out of what modules you already have loaded.  Try doing as
>> the root user "lsmod" and capture them to a folloup post.  There are a few
>> modules which redhat should include and load upon demand.  The interesting
>> one to see are whether st, sg, and a module for your adaptec card is already
>> loaded by redhat.  RedHat by default includes almost the kitchen sink as
>> modules available for use.

>Here's what I get with lsmod:

>Module Size Used by
>ppp 20268 2 (autoclean)
>slhc 4568 0 (autoclean) [ppp]
>lockd 31592 1 (autoclean)
>sunrpc 53540 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
>opl3 11496 0
>sb 34132 0
>uart401 6256 0 [sb]
>sound 58264 0 [opl3 sb uart401]
>soundlow 420 0 [sound]
>soundcore 2692 6 [sb sound]

>Is this what I should see, or is there something else?  Obviously, the aha152x
>module isn't loaded.

>JT

I would have expected to see the adaptec card being loaded by the system
when it booted as a module.  On a redhat system I have had, my adaptec 2940
uw card had the modules loaded by the kernel module loader when it "sensed"
there was a need for it or something called a device that required those
drivers.

Does your system see the card when it boots?  In other words, does the
aha152x card have a bios on it?  I used to use one for a scanner and zip
drive awhile ago but I don't recall if the card has a bios or not.  If the
card is seen by the system but not by linux, there could be an irq issue or
perhaps you have set two devices to the same irq.  Do you by chance have
another isa card in the system which uses the same irq?  Try looking at the
output of /proc/interrupts.

You may have to do a little irq and other homework with isa devices to find
out what irq devices are taking by default.  The "device resource busy" line
could mean that linux cannot exclude or provide an irq since another device
has claimed that irq already.

I would also do some detective work to see if the card is seen by linux at
all by cruising through the /proc file system.  Especially places like:

/proc/scsi
/proc/interrupts

Sorry I cannot be of more help on this.  I have two systems with adaptec
2940 u2w cards which are seen with no problems at all.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

SCSI Zip drive in RH 6.2 $@#!?

Post by John Thoma » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:03:28

> I would have expected to see the adaptec card being loaded by the system
> when it booted as a module.  On a redhat system I have had, my adaptec 2940
> uw card had the modules loaded by the kernel module loader when it "sensed"
> there was a need for it or something called a device that required those
> drivers.

> Does your system see the card when it boots?  In other words, does the
> aha152x card have a bios on it?  I used to use one for a scanner and zip
> drive awhile ago but I don't recall if the card has a bios or not.  If the
> card is seen by the system but not by linux, there could be an irq issue or
> perhaps you have set two devices to the same irq.  Do you by chance have
> another isa card in the system which uses the same irq?  Try looking at the
> output of /proc/interrupts.

Quote:> I would also do some detective work to see if the card is seen by linux at
> all by cruising through the /proc file system.  Especially places like:

> /proc/scsi
> /proc/interrupts

No two devices have the same IRQ.  The scsi adapator is not detected at boot.
On my system, there is nothing in /proc/scsi.  Does this mean there is some scsi
module which is not loaded?  I appreciate your advice.

JT