Linux and Win95 on one.

Post by Doraisamy Shanmugasundara » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi!  I had brought a new computer with Win95 loaded on it.  I would like
to load linux on one of the partitions and Ihad heard people say that I
could have both and that the computer will ask me at the time of booting
which os I want.  I would appreciate of any one could write to me as to
how I should go about loading the Linux and the other software that I
will be needing for it to work the way i want it to.

Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Shan.

Linux and Win95 on one.

Post by Bommasamudram Madhusud » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

it's slightly complicated. there should be plenty of documentation on
the distribution that you have: slackware, or red-hat, etc.
basically,
1) backup win95
2) run fdisk and create a smaller partition for win95, and set aside
the rest for linux
3) put back win95
4) create boot/root disks
5) install the boot disk and restart

that'll get you started.

: Hi!  I had brought a new computer with Win95 loaded on it.  I would like
: to load linux on one of the partitions and Ihad heard people say that I
: could have both and that the computer will ask me at the time of booting
: which os I want.  I would appreciate of any one could write to me as to
: how I should go about loading the Linux and the other software that I
: will be needing for it to work the way i want it to.

: Thanking you,
: Yours sincerely,
: Shan.

1. Dual OS on one hdd: Win95 or Linux on the first partition?

There MUST be a DOS partition of some type as drive C:\.  You will want
to put Windows on your C: drive, which will be the first partition.  One
reason for this is that in Windows not all the initial boot parameters
are in the boot sector; some of them are in the first sector of the
drive.  I'm not sure what will happen if you try to have a non-DOS
partition as the first partition on the drive, and then having a DOS
partition as the second; if you are expirementing, why don't you try and
let the rest of us know.

--
Matthew Vanecek
For professional Website hosting services, visit http://www.mjv.com

except me. I'm always getting in the way of something...

2. Knobs and buttons for XF86, BRL-CAD 5.0 Beta

3. |||||||||||||| SHOULD I INSTALL WIN95 FIRST or LINUX FIRST ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

4. SUID

5. first scsi drive has x86, second has win95, now to boot win95?

6. Netscape for Slakware 3.0?

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. Static Device Resource Conflict on boot

9. win95 - linux - freebsd - one disk

10. LILO: Linux on one drive, NT/Win95 on another?

11. Linux(printcap)+smb => Win95(DJ690C) cutting first character

12. os2, linux, win31/dos, win95, winNT all on one machine?

13. Know of a utility that allows one to view ext2 linux filesystem from Win95/98?