Red Hat 4.0: "Network Unreachable"/Sendmail/Trio 64+ install problems..

Red Hat 4.0: "Network Unreachable"/Sendmail/Trio 64+ install problems..

Post by Henry Gabryjels » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

You need to set your default gateway.  Talk to your ISP for the
correct value(s).

Quote:>Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

Yes, it is even possible to reliably run
{NT 3.5, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, Win3.1 or WFWg, Windows 95, OS/2}
on one machine.  You can find it via the author's homepage at
http://www.veryComputer.com/
This simplifies a great deal the above process.  I have run
{NT 4.0, NT 3.51, Win3.1, Windows 95, Linux} all one one machine using
the NT boot loader.

Henry Gabryjelski

Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email WILL be
charged a $100 proof-reading fee.  Do NOT send junk email to me -
consider this an official notice:

"By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti*t to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation."

Red Hat 4.0: "Network Unreachable"/Sendmail/Trio 64+ install problems..

Post by doug a blaisde » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Any help greatly appreciated for these *in' RH 4.0 install problems....
(system is Gateway P5: 133mhz, 17" mon, trio64+ video, USR external
28.8 modem, Red Hat Linux 4.0 on CD, MetroX, white case (<-- attempt
at humor)).

1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

3) I made an alias ls='ls --colors', according to the users guide,
but colors don't show (I'm talking about the color coded file types,
when you do a ls).

4) I have a Trio 64+ card, but the configX display only supports the
trio 64. Even though I have 2Meg. RAM on the card, I can't get the
resolution I want, with the number of colors I want.
(1280x1024 with 256 or 16K colors).

5) My Soundscape Ensoniq card (it's NOT PnP) doesn't work. I've done
what notes in the kernel sound section suggest, but ssinit reports
that /dev/dsp0: bad device or address.

6) Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

                                thanks in advance,
                                doug blaisdell

--
To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its
eyeballs -- it will let you go instantly.

Red Hat 4.0: "Network Unreachable"/Sendmail/Trio 64+ install problems..

Post by Ole Jacob Taralds » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Any help greatly appreciated for these *in' RH 4.0 install problems....
> (system is Gateway P5: 133mhz, 17" mon, trio64+ video, USR external
> 28.8 modem, Red Hat Linux 4.0 on CD, MetroX, white case (<-- attempt
> at humor)).

> 1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
> chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
> my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
> I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

> 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
> tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

That may be caused by an invalid ip adress in the /etc/hosts file

Quote:

> 3) I made an alias ls='ls --colors', according to the users guide,
> but colors don't show (I'm talking about the color coded file types,
> when you do a ls).

Try color_xterm (if you use X)

Quote:

> 4) I have a Trio 64+ card, but the configX display only supports the
> trio 64. Even though I have 2Meg. RAM on the card, I can't get the
> resolution I want, with the number of colors I want.
> (1280x1024 with 256 or 16K colors).

Check out X 3.2. It has support for Trio 64+.

Quote:

> 5) My Soundscape Ensoniq card (it's NOT PnP) doesn't work. I've done
> what notes in the kernel sound section suggest, but ssinit reports
> that /dev/dsp0: bad device or address.

> 6) Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

No problem at all. I think the trick is to install the Microsoft stuff
first and then Linux. Use LILO as a bootloader, and you can choose
which os to use.

Quote:

>                            thanks in advance,
>                            doug blaisdell

> --
> To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its
> eyeballs -- it will let you go instantly.

Ole Jacob

******** homepage : http://www.veryComputer.com/~ojt ***********
*** The Norwegian University of Science and Technology *****

"(She looked over at me with a glazed eye
 And some bovine perspiration on her upper lip area
 And she said....)
 Just get me wasted
 An' you're half-way there
 'Cause if my mind's tore up
 Then my body don't care"       -F.Zappa

Post by Michael K. Johns » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
>chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
>my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
>I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

In the network configurator (netcfg), edit your PPP interface and
tell it to set the default route.  (That will be the default in
future versions of netcfg.)

Quote:>2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
>tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

The resolver wants you to have a domain.  I named a non-networked machine
"linux.foo" with a domain of "foo" and the problem went away.

michaelkjohnson

"Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"

Post by Paul Russel » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> Any help greatly appreciated for these *in' RH 4.0 install problems....
> (system is Gateway P5: 133mhz, 17" mon, trio64+ video, USR external
> 28.8 modem, Red Hat Linux 4.0 on CD, MetroX, white case (<-- attempt
> at humor)).

Sorry for the partial nature of this help, but there are 5 separate
problems here...

Quote:> 1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
> chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
> my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
> I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

I'm assuming you can't ping/telnet/ftp outside your ISP even if you
use the raw IP address, rather than by name.  If names don't work,
this is a DNS problem, and you probably want to point your
/etc/resolv.conf out to the IP address of your ISP's nameserver.

Otherwise (no ping even by IP address) this looks like a routing
problem.  I would do a `route -n' and see where your default route
goes; looks like it's not going out the ppp0 interface like it should.
If you have a default route on booting, pppd will not reset the
default route (even with the `defaultroute' argument).  If this is the
problem, delete the default route before starting the ppp connection,
and make sure you include `defaultroute' in the pppd args in your ppp
setup script.

Quote:> 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
> tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

This may be a DNS problem.  If DNS is misconfigured, sendmail may try
do this (but it never has for me).  Edit the script to start it in the
background, and maybe try reconfiguring sendmail.

Quote:> 3) I made an alias ls='ls --colors', according to the users guide,
> but colors don't show (I'm talking about the color coded file types,
> when you do a ls).

I assume from the next question, that you are under X-windows, not in
text mode.  In which case, if you really want this I think you need
color-xterm.  (Someone claimed that XFREE 3.2's xterm was supposed to
support colour, but others disagreed, so I don't know).

Quote:> 4) I have a Trio 64+ card, but the configX display only supports the
> trio 64. Even though I have 2Meg. RAM on the card, I can't get the
> resolution I want, with the number of colors I want.
> (1280x1024 with 256 or 16K colors).

Not sure on this one.  Anyone?

Quote:> 5) My Soundscape Ensoniq card (it's NOT PnP) doesn't work. I've done
> what notes in the kernel sound section suggest, but ssinit reports
> that /dev/dsp0: bad device or address.

Hmmm... OK, did you compile sound support as a module?  Is the module
loaded?  I don't have a Soundscape Ensoniq, so I'd be guessing...

Quote:> 6) Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

Certainly.  See some of the HOWTOs off www.linux.org.

Quote:> --
> To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its
> eyeballs -- it will let you go instantly.

           -- And then you qualify as a System Administrator.
--

Lies, damned lies, and out-of-date documentation.
Currently contracted to Telstra, Sydney.

Post by david parso » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> 6) Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

>No problem at all. I think the trick is to install the Microsoft stuff
>first and then Linux. Use LILO as a bootloader, and you can choose
>which os to use.

An odd thing about this.  I've been building machine that dual-boot NT
and Linux, and the way I've been going about it is to first partition
the disk, then put Linux on, then go back and put NT on.  NT Workstation
4.0, unlike Windows 95, does not wipe out block0 on the root disk, but
leaves previous bootloaders intact, so to go and add a winnt section to
lilo.conf is simply a matter of rebooting the machine and waiting for
Linux to come up.

                 ____

                  \/

Post by David McMilla » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Any help greatly appreciated for these *in' RH 4.0 install problems....
> (system is Gateway P5: 133mhz, 17" mon, trio64+ video, USR external
> 28.8 modem, Red Hat Linux 4.0 on CD, MetroX, white case (<-- attempt
> at humor)).

I will start out by saying that I don't use redhat, but here are some
suggestions.  You may also want to email redhat.  They have technical
support.

Quote:> 1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
> chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
> my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
> I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

Try to telnet or ping something using the IP address.
If that works, then it is your name server setup.  Set up the nameserver
on your machine to be the name server of your internet provider.
or maybe you don't have a default route to your internet provider.
if you add the defaultroute command to your pppd command then it will
set it up for you automatically.  If you already have a default route
setup to a network, then this is not a good idea.
Quote:> 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
> tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

I am not sure if this is the place in redhat, but tyr /var/adm/messages
this file will contain messages from your boot and other system errors.
Maybe there is a clue to the problem in there.

Quote:> 3) I made an alias ls='ls --colors', according to the users guide,
> but colors don't show (I'm talking about the color coded file types,
> when you do a ls).

> 4) I have a Trio 64+ card, but the configX display only supports the
> trio 64. Even though I have 2Meg. RAM on the card, I can't get the
> resolution I want, with the number of colors I want.
> (1280x1024 with 256 or 16K colors).

Let me know if you get an answer to this.
Quote:

> 5) My Soundscape Ensoniq card (it's NOT PnP) doesn't work. I've done
> what notes in the kernel sound section suggest, but ssinit reports
> that /dev/dsp0: bad device or address.

> 6) Is it possible to run NT, Win3.1, and Linux on the same machine?

Yes, Look into boot utilities like system commander.

-- Dave
Linux: -Written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance
        from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net.
       -It has all the features you would expect in a modern Unix OS.
       -IT IS FREE!

Post by Javier Henderso » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> 1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
>> chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
>> my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
>> I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

You need to add a default gateway:

/sbin/route add default gw 1.2.3.4 metric 1

1.2.3.4 is actually the IP address of your ISP's SLIP interface.

-javier

Post by Steven Sob » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:
: 1) TCP/IP doesn't work very well. I have a dialup ISP connection, via
: chat/ppp. I can telnet/ftp to my ISP, but not to any other place from
: my PC. I can't connect anywhere with any browsers (Grail/Netscape/Lynx).
: I get a "Network Unreachable" error (socket error 101).

Do you have defaultroute set in your PPP options file? That option
says that any route that your own computer can't figure out, gets routed
via the PPP link.

: 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
: tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

I had that problem too. My hostname wasn't set correctly, and when
sendmail couldn't figure out the hostname, it slept for a while before
trying again.

It sounds like you need to configure a couple things...

--
Steve Sobol, Cleveland, OH    Tech Support/Customer Service, NACS.NET
 -also-     Win 95 Programmer and Head Geek, North Shore Technologies

Post by Thomas Moli » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
>: tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

>I had that problem too. My hostname wasn't set correctly, and when
>sendmail couldn't figure out the hostname, it slept for a while before
>trying again.

>It sounds like you need to configure a couple things...

As an uncorrelated bit of improbable data(trivia) let me add that
simply upgrading from 3.0.3 to 4.0 cured the sendmail sleeping
problem.  This confuses me to no end since that is the only change I'd
made when noticing this and the original poster said he was running
4.0.  I'm sure it changed "something" in some configuration file since
I've got *.rpmsave files all over the real estate.

What's going on, and why is mine working while others have noted the
problem continues in 4.0?

Post by barf.. » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >: 2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
> >: tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

> >I had that problem too. My hostname wasn't set correctly, and when
> >sendmail couldn't figure out the hostname, it slept for a while before
> >trying again.

> >It sounds like you need to configure a couple things...

> As an uncorrelated bit of improbable data(trivia) let me add that
> simply upgrading from 3.0.3 to 4.0 cured the sendmail sleeping
> problem.  This confuses me to no end since that is the only change I'd
> made when noticing this and the original poster said he was running
> 4.0.  I'm sure it changed "something" in some configuration file since
> I've got *.rpmsave files all over the real estate.

> What's going on, and why is mine working while others have noted the
> problem continues in 4.0?

I would also be interested in knowing what this is. I have the same
symptoms.

Any answers welcome,

Bill
William R. F. Barfoot   (716) 941-0429
SUNY at Buffalo                         Das Leben ist gut, geniesse es!

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~barfoot

Post by Steven Sob » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: > What's going on, and why is mine working while others have noted the
: > problem continues in 4.0?
: I would also be interested in knowing what this is. I have the same
: symptoms.

When I upgraded from 3.03 to 4.0 I was fine, because the hostname info
and other info was already on the hard drive. But then I had to wipe
clean and reinstall (for unrelated reasons) and that's when my problem
occurred. Make sure your computer can determine its hostname and domain
name if you have this problem.

--

Post by Jean-Yves Sim » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: >2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
: >tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

: The resolver wants you to have a domain.  I named a non-networked machine
: "linux.foo" with a domain of "foo" and the problem went away.

Michael,
I have the same problem after a clean install of Redhat 4.0. The
sendmail process hangs.
I have an /etc/hosts file that contains 127.0.0.1 localhost.
Please, could you explain more on the resolver and domain ?
Thanks in advance.

PS : my Flashpoint , after some problems at the begining seems
to work well.

Post by kase » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> : >2) The sendmail startup hangs during boot, for about a minute. I haven't
> : >tried sending any mail yet, but the hang itself is annoying.

> : The resolver wants you to have a domain.  I named a non-networked machine
> : "linux.foo" with a domain of "foo" and the problem went away.

> Michael,
> I have the same problem after a clean install of Redhat 4.0. The
> sendmail process hangs.
> I have an /etc/hosts file that contains 127.0.0.1 localhost.
> Please, could you explain more on the resolver and domain ?
> Thanks in advance.

> PS : my Flashpoint , after some problems at the begining seems
> to work well.

> : michaelkjohnson

> : "Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the * theories?"

> --

with me i found the problem to be route. heres what i did.

route add default ppp0

and BAM! everything worked. you have to add it to that rc.local or one
of those files so it will do it at startup though :)

1. SMAIL problems: "lock failed", and "network is unreachable."

        Well, I got smail working so that it went through and delivered
all of the mail that wasn't delivered the last two months. Now I can't
send new mail to anyone. Here's a brief segment of what was in
/usr/spool/smail/logfile:

10/12/94 12:42:04: [m0qv6ke-0004mgC] received
|            from: mark
|         program: sendmail

|            size: 631 bytes

10/12/94 12:45:56: pid 253: new config files, exec(/usr/lib/sendmail)
10/12/94 12:45:56: pid 6860: smail daemon started
10/12/94 13:11:28: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0qnI1X-0004o5C: lock failed: File exists
10/12/94 13:11:29: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0qnI1X-0004o5C: lock failed: File exists
10/12/94 13:11:29: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0qoews-0004oHC: lock failed: File exists
10/12/94 13:30:57: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0qpm1L-0004oQC: lock failed: File exists
10/12/94 13:30:58: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0qv6ke-0004mgC: lock failed: File exists

        I don't know if that help anyone or not. I'm running linux
1.1.45, and smail 3.1.28. My system is currently not connected to the
internet, though that shouldn't matter because I'm just trying to send
mail to myself.

        Anyone have any clues, or can point me into a direction to look?
If you need more information, email me.

        Much thanks.

        -Mark
--
"Key chuckles. 'If Skinny Puppy, in terms of the movie _Alien_, is a
chest-burster, then Doubting Thomas is more of a face-hugger,' he informs,

2. pppd dynamic ip syntax??

3. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

4. NEWBIE: PPP and other things

5. Sendmail "network unreachable"

6. The Three Fingered Salute

7. Red Hat Install - HD problem - "error opening directory"

8. RPC links

9. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

10. Red Hat 5.0 install problem: "Out of memory"

11. Network setup problem with Redhat 6.1 -- "network unreachable"

12. X Install Problem: "X startup failed, falling back to text mode" (Red Hat 6.2)

13. Problem of Installing Red Hat " LI in LILO "