Newbie Needs Help Setting up a POP or SMTP Mail Server

Newbie Needs Help Setting up a POP or SMTP Mail Server

Post by Sam Webe » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have inherited a Linux system that is running UUCP to an Internet
Provider and receiving E-Mail via that link.  I would like to give my
users an alternative to using Pine, Elm and mail.  Something with a more
graphical interface like Eudora or MSMail.

However, Eudora needs a POP(?) server and I need to know how to set one
up.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I am currently using the
Igdrissill(sp?) version of Linux.

Post by Cosmin Hanulesc » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I have inherited a Linux system that is running UUCP to an Internet
> Provider and receiving E-Mail via that link.  I would like to give my
> users an alternative to using Pine, Elm and mail.  Something with a more
> graphical interface like Eudora or MSMail.

> However, Eudora needs a POP(?) server and I need to know how to set one
> up.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I am currently using the
> Igdrissill(sp?) version of Linux.

In Linux is a POP server which is installed by default in /etc/inetd.conf
I have one user which takes his mail via POP services from me.

1. Setting up a pop / smtp mail server with Redhat 6.1

Hi,
    I have a small home network and want to experiment with
setting up a pop / smtp mail server. In the limited imap info,
it seems that the imap program /daemon can do pop /smtp.
I have not found much info anywhere on setting up a mail
server. Where can I find this info.
    I want to use Netscape as my mail user agent. Presently, I don't
have a DNS setup and, at the moment, don't want to have to set up
one, unless absolutely necessary. I have been trying to set up
Netscape, with ip numbers instead of the name of the mail server.
   Any help will be well appreciated.
                                                            Thanks
                                                                Mike

2. Video Capture Software

3. Help & Advice needed: Setting up a POP mail server (SUN or SGI)

4. rsh and return code

5. Help & Advice needed: Setting up a POP mail client

6. perl5.001 binary?

7. configuring postfix / pop-server for smtp-after-pop

8. libnewt.so.0?

9. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

10. Lookfong for a SMTP/POP mail server

11. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

12. HELP: Mail/Pop Server Can't Received Mail

13. Need help to forward mail to smtp-server?