Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

Post by ph4t0n » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For those of you trying to connect to online * through a linux
masquerade box and having trouble this is the solution.  For many of the
current online games the server will ask the client machine to open ports
for connection, this is not possible through the firewall, therefore you
must set these ports as open.

http://www.veryComputer.com/
the ports to open and various other configuration settings for many of the
most popular games.

Example:
Add the following rules to rc.firewall or whereever you have specified your
firewall configuration
198.162.1.1 is the ip of the machine running the game

#Masq Quake 3
ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 27960 -h 198.162.1.1

#Masq Red Alert
ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 5009 5009 -h 198.162.1.1

#Masq Tiberian Sun
ipmsqadm autofw -A -r udp 1234 1234 -h 198.162.1.1

#Masq Unreal
#Only needed for server
ipmasqadm autofw -A -r udp 7777 7777 -h 198.162.1.1

> The first game I tried was tribes and it worked great. Then delta
> force and quake, neither connected. then quake2 and one other, forget
> which and they didn't work either. IF I had not tried tribes I would
> have thought it was something I did wrong on setup. I was told that
> you have to define ports for games but I have no idea how since the
> games are not looking for a specific port, at least with netstat -M
> they are looking for ( or getting assisgned ) different ports each
> time.

> jerry

> >Can't do IPX with IP-Masq, different protocols with different rules. And
> >no, most games now are TCP or UDP and not IPX. Anyway, get the latest
> >kernel (2.2.??, but I have had luck with 2.3.5). The newer stuff
> >requires more trickery than plain vanilla Masq can do. Also, there are
> >some modules that should be in /lib/modules/kernel.version/net that can
> >be loaded from (and I don't do rh, but this should be close) rc.modules.
> >This should help. Can't garuntee, but I have 9 computers running over a
> >cable modem and we play starcraft and Quake regularly here. Hope this
> >helps.

> >> I set up ip-masquerading on redhat 6.0
> >> Ok it works great for mail and netscape and
> >> traceroute and ping work great. BUT none of
> >> my internet games work.
> >> Tired delta force and some others and nothing.
> >> with netstat -M
> >> i get tcp list and the site address but no connect
> >> the game just give me a blank screen.
> >> Are most games ipx and not tcp ???
> >> If so how do I get ipx to work with masquerade?

> >> thanks for any info on this
> >> jerry

                    http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

I set up ip-masquerading on redhat 6.0
Ok it works great for mail and netscape and
traceroute and ping work great. BUT none of
my internet games work.
Tired delta force and some others and nothing.
with netstat -M
i get tcp list and the site address but no connect
the game just give me a blank screen.
Are most games ipx and not tcp ???
If so how do I get ipx to work with masquerade?

thanks for any info on this
jerry

2. Kernel mode trap type hex000000e

3. iptables and masquerading---what am I doing wrong?

4. How to scan C files to find the required include files ?

5. IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

6. Multiple CPUs performance

7. IP masquerading, Net games, and Mandrake 7.2

8. Smail Question

9. IP masquerading, Net Games, and Mandrake 7.2

10. IP-Masq -- What am I doing wrong?

11. IP Tables -A What am I doing wrong

12. LINUX IP Masquerading works on dsl.net, not ameritech.net?

13. Dual Homed Linux - what am I doing wrong?