Vote: Which Linux OS Best?

Post by Charlie Huan » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:56:09

Could any one vote: Which Linux OS is Best? (Fast, More Security, ...)
RedHat?Mandrake?Suse?Slackware?Debian

Vote: Which Linux OS Best?

Post by Mr. Smarty Pant » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:12:22

Quote:> Could any one vote: Which Linux OS is Best? (Fast, More Security, ...)
> RedHat?Mandrake?Suse?Slackware?Debian

Totally subjective, but my vote goes to Conectiva.

Vote: Which Linux OS Best?

Post by Michael Kristofi » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 08:05:33

I'd have to say RedHat, provided you don't try to use GNOME or something :-)

Kristo

Vote: Which Linux OS Best?

Post by vas » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:31:06

> I'd have to say RedHat, provided you don't try to use GNOME or something :-)

> Kristo

well, i am also interested to know about this question(which linux OS
is best). Why do u said like that, i mean dont try to use GNOME or
something. Any special reason?

thank you...

G. Shrinivas

Vote: Which Linux OS Best?

Post by bowma » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:30:53

> Why do u said like that, i mean dont try to use GNOME or
> something. Any special reason?

Gnome or KDE, especially the latest versions, can be very slow on older
machines. There isn't any hard rule, but I don't think running KDE2.2 on
less than 400mhz/128mb machines is very pleasant. I don't know at what ram
size they won't run at all, but on a 48mb machine, I did have to kick the
swap up to even get KDE1 to run, so it was doing a lot of paging.
Cuurently, I'm running 640mb, and never have seen swap in use. I don't
monitor it, just look occasionally, so it might be hitting it.

1. Vote on the Best OS

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.msdos.programmer ]
[ Author was Da Young Genius ]
[ Posted on 4 Feb 1994 23:59:01 GMT ]

Someone brought to my attention (without flaming me) the proper way to take
a survey. So here it is:

I am interested in comments on the best operating systems based on:

        * Functionality
        * Speed
        * Programmability
        * Interface (Graphical/Command Line)
        * Is it customizable
        * Power
        * Memory Management
        * File System
        * Graphical Capability
        * Ease of Networking
        * Integrated Networking
        * Applications
        * Interoperability
        * Ease of use

Please respond via e-mail to the addresses below. I will post results
periodically.

Want the ultimate processor? Try K-Mart calculator processors-

At least you get a good ALU- Ha! Ha! Ha!

Antony Gordon is "Da Young Genius" at Software Development

I really miss the computer with the BASIC interpreter as the
primary operating system. Forget the P5 and UNIX, go back to
the Commodore 64.

Oh, BTW, vote on your favorite operating systems. I post results
weekly.

Antony Gordon is "Da Young Genius" at Software Development

2. simple /etc/rc.d/init.d/network for redhat 6.0 anywhere?

3. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

4. Mounting a Mac CD?

5. RFV (Request for Vote) Poll:Best Linux Distribution

6. IOmega zip drive

7. Vote to make Linux the best!

8. Dual Headed Box (DHB) :-)

9. RFV (Request for Vote) Poll:Best Linux Distribution

10. Best Linux release on CD -VOTES WANTED

11. which is the best linux distro - please vote

12. Vote to make Linux the best!

13. Vote for Linux #1 1995 OS