How do I setup dial-on-demand for ISDN

Post by Davi » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:23:49

I am running RedHat 7, Kernel 2.2.16-22.  I have a FritzCard ISDN card
that is able to dial to the internet fine.  How do I set it up so that
it will autmatically dial whenever I reference a web site?

Thanks,
David Suna

1. ISDN Dial-On-Demand: Can't Stop dial with arp packets...

Hello again everybody,

I have installed linux 2.0.30 (Slackware 3.3) on a machine located
remotely from my office connected with ISDN dial-on-demand modem.   I
have diagnosed the dial-out of this machine with TCPDUMP to see why the
machine is dialing out for no reason every 6 minutes or so.

This is the packet that is received from tcp dump from remote host
(durham).

15:28:08.980232 arp who-has ryno.cit-llc.com tell durham.cit-llc.com

ryno is another linux machine on my LAN and durham is the machine on the
remote end that I would like to prevent from dialing out when this
happens.

Now, I ran into a similar problem in a previous version of linux and
modified the /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/arp.c file and recompiling and
restarting the new kernel.  This has not worked yet as I have tried
different values for the ARP_TIMEOUT and other variables in that file.

Not sure how I can prevent this dial-out from the remote machine.
In case it matters the ISDN boxes that I use are from COMBINET now owned
by Cisco.  Maybe I can filter ARP packets from the ISDN modem?

All help is greatly appreciated.  (I need to save money on this phone
bill).

TIA

Jim Valavanis

  \   Kessler/Asher Group at     |   Whois: JV208                /
   \  the CBOE                   |   phone (312)786-4779        /
    ______  _______  _________       __        __       ______
   / ____/ /__  __/ /___  ___/      / /       / /      / ____/
  / /        / /       / /  _____  / /       / /      / /
 / /____  __/ /__     / /  /____/ / /_____  / /____  / /____
/______/ /______/    /_/         /_______/ /______/ /______/

2. xwin accelerated?

3. linux as a dial-on-demand ISDN router?

4. Shellscript: Who can halo me?

5. dial-on-demand and ISDN

6. need help with yaboot & g4/500

7. Spppcontrol isdn dial-on-demand won't work

8. PCMCIA and Simple Technology Compact Flash

9. Dial-on-demand ISDN for connecting 3 sites

10. Anyone doing Dial-On-Demand?

11. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

12. PPP dial-on-demand / TCP connection setup times out

13. Any cookbook for setup proxy & dial-on-demand ?