Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

Post by Kumar Dwarakanat » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a SCSI (AHA2740-2840-2940) card for my CD-ROM drive. While doing
the
installation (Redhat 5.2) the program is able to probe and find out the
card and initialize
the CD-ROM to function properly. This helps me in completing the
installation.

When I want to boot using LILO or the boot disk I get the following
error and the
system stops booting:
(SCSI0) found at EISA slot....
(SCSI0) Twin channel....
(SCSI0) Downloading sequencer code... 423 instructions downloaded
(SCSI0) BRKADRINT error (0x8):
Sequencer Ram Parity error

Kernel Panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0

 Please help with any suggestions. I have been trying various things
 but it does not seem to work. Have spent so much time just getting
 the system to boot!!!

 Thanks in advance.
 Kumar.

Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

Post by Parag Batavi » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello - if you are using a 2940UW card, the supplied driver on the RH 5.2
boot disk doesn't work. You'll need to go to www.redhat.com/support, and
dig through the 5.2 stuff 'till you find the new boot/supp disks.

If you are running something other than 2940UW, this doesn't apply.

Parag

> Hi,
> I have a SCSI (AHA2740-2840-2940) card for my CD-ROM drive. While doing
> the
> installation (Redhat 5.2) the program is able to probe and find out the
> card and initialize
> the CD-ROM to function properly. This helps me in completing the
> installation.

> When I want to boot using LILO or the boot disk I get the following
> error and the
> system stops booting:
> (SCSI0) found at EISA slot....
> (SCSI0) Twin channel....
> (SCSI0) Downloading sequencer code... 423 instructions downloaded
> (SCSI0) BRKADRINT error (0x8):
> Sequencer Ram Parity error

> Kernel Panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
> Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
> Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
> Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
> Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
> Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0

>  Please help with any suggestions. I have been trying various things
>  but it does not seem to work. Have spent so much time just getting
>  the system to boot!!!

>  Thanks in advance.
>  Kumar.

1. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

I recently bought a used Compaq 486/25SX for a home Linux box.  Installed
fine on original 170Meg drive.  I want to replace that drive (throw away
noisy & small old drive) with a spare 550Meg drive I have.  BIOS doesn't
recognize it, so I bought AMI's AMIDISK Extender, which allows recognition
of newer IDE drives.

I strapped the 550M drive as the master drive, popped in the AMI card, its
recognized, and the Linux install went OK, but when I boot, LILO gets
confused and stops at the  partial prompt "LI".

Now, how do I properly config lilo on that drive if I can't boot from that
drive?   I'm having a devil of a time getting my hands on a readable user's
guide for LILO.  I've got a linux laptop at work, but xdvi doesn't work and
a dvi->ascii filter I have won't grok that particular file.

I believe I have to change lilo.conf on the 550Meg drive and then reinstall
lilo.

What I did was boot from the original 170 Meg drive, mounted the 550Meg
drive on  /mnt, and then did a chroot so bash thought that /dev/hdb1 was my
root dir.  Then I put the keyword 'linear' into /etc/lilo.conf, ran
/sbin/lilo, it told me it was updating Linux, then I shutdown, took out the
170Meg drive, restrapped the 550M drive as master and rebooted.  Still no
go.

Then I did the same thing, but this time I deleted the word 'linear' and
put in a section:
drive=/dev/hda
     sectors=63
     heads=16
     cylinders=1048

Still no go.   How can I confirm if the lilo in the MBR on the larger drive
is being updated?     I think my prob is that I'm not correctly updating
it.  Should be possible, after all, the original install boots off one
drive and installs LILO on another.   man lilo seems vague on this and I
can't find the complete lilo docs in a form that I can read.

thanks
(email appreciated)
--
Jay Heiser

http://www.mindspring.com/~pp001887

2. Mach64 nightmare SOLVED!!

3. Cannot boot using LILO from Linux boot disk.

4. XIconifyWindow

5. Dual Booting Linux w/o LILO (Boot Disk)

6. Port Programming Question

7. LILO vanished on win/lin dual-boot, boot disk gives kernel panic

8. ssh compilation problem

9. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

10. KERNEL PANIC: I CANT BOOT FROM SETUP'S LILO BOOT DISK!

11. Installing lilo to boot on second disk via Boot Manager

12. SOLUTION: lilo awol on win/lin dual-boot, boot disk gives kernel panic

13. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301