RedHat pre-installation question about partition requirement.

RedHat pre-installation question about partition requirement.

Post by Philip S Zh » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I do not have the printed manual yet. Are the any restrictions on Linux
partition? LBA support? partition size? etc..

I bought a copy of RedHat6.0 rom Ebay.

Philip

Post by R.K.A » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I do not have the printed manual yet. Are the any restrictions on Linux
> partition? LBA support? partition size? etc..

> I bought a copy of RedHat6.0 rom Ebay.

:)

When you get the CD you already have all you need: The
installation guide (and for later user, the getting started
guide) are on the CD and you can read it from whatever OS:

open in a browser:

the installation guide:
/doc/rhmanual/manual/index.htm

the getting starte guide:
/doc/rhgsg/gsg/index.htm

The file system in Linux - ext2 - is unlike the DOS filesystems
(like fat32  or fat16)
Uless you have some very nifty tools handy to partition with,
wait till you get the CD and then read up on how Linux names
a partition, disk etc.

During install, I recommend you use fdisk
(DiskDruide was a little too spooky and you have no control over
what it does.)

Partitions and size depends on your disk/s.
you need:
a / partition (referred to as the root partition)
a swap-disk partition not smaller than 16 mb and not
smaller than your total amount of installed RAM.

You'll probably WANT:
a /usr , /usr/local and /home partition.
This makes life easyer the day you perhaps want to replace one
of them with a bigger disk, for instance.
Beyond that it's individual how you partition - according
to your needs and diskspace.

As for partition size: give /usr at *least* 700 mb if you plan
to install "everything". I blew 700 mb onto it in a matter of minutes.
And note: Nothing alerts you if you install more rpm packages than
there's space for - the installation will simply fail/hang.

The /home partition is where you'll later hang out most of the time.
Size here depends on how many users will use the computer and
how disk demanding applications you run. If you toy with images,
these tend to be big files. Netscape will also place it's cached
files in your home dir.

Preplan a little, jot down a partitioning scheme and hold on
tight to it while you install.

K.

1. pre-installation question

This question may seem silly but...
What files do I need to download from the FreeBSD ftp server for a minimal installation?
 Do I need all the files in the /bin directory?  Does FreeBSD have disk sets such as
Linux slackware has?  Are the files bin.aa, bin.ab, etc. part of an 'a' disk set?
All help is aprreciated.
Griffin Macondray

2. What's up doc?

3. Pre-installation questions.

4. Perl: bidir client socket I/O trouble

5. LINUX pre-installation questions

6. Need help with inn

7. pre-installation compatibility questions...

8. Traffic Shaper?

9. pre-installation questions - WISH ME LUCK!

10. Pre-installation Question

11. vm_fault during pre-installation

12. Pre-installation info wanted

13. Before Installing - FreeBSD pre-installation