RedHat 5.1, Sony CDU33A and Kernel Panic Help Please

RedHat 5.1, Sony CDU33A and Kernel Panic Help Please

Post by Michael Strau » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I recently tried to install RedHat 5.1 on my old 486.  It has an old Sony
CDU33A that I think I have working.  I downloaded RH5.1 off of the ftp and
then burned a cd of it using the JOLIET file system.  It was the only way
to preserve the long names that were in the directories.

I got the program to recognize the CDROM (it spun for a while after I
entered the port number for the prop controller).  But after going for a
while, the screen stays blue and the bottom line turns black.  If I hit a
key it says:

What does this mean?  Is the CDROM loaded right?  Is the CD I burned bad
because it is JOLIET?  Or is there something more insideous?

If it is the CD I burned using JOLIET, is there anyway to make a CD from a
windows box without using JOLIET and that preserve the long file names...

Thanks in advance,
Mike S.

RedHat 5.1, Sony CDU33A and Kernel Panic Help Please

Post by Scott Barlo » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I had the same experience. The ftp program I was using(absolute FTP) asked
me if I wanted to save the files as ASCII or binary type. I unknowingly
chose ASCII, and the whole CD is now worthless. I'm not sure as what I
might do to correct the problem, but I will try again soon

God Luck

Scottb

Quote:> I recently tried to install RedHat 5.1 on my old 486.  It has an old Sony
> CDU33A that I think I have working.  I downloaded RH5.1 off of the ftp
and
> then burned a cd of it using the JOLIET file system.  It was the only way
> to preserve the long names that were in the directories.

> I got the program to recognize the CDROM (it spun for a while after I
> entered the port number for the prop controller).  But after going for a
> while, the screen stays blue and the bottom line turns black.  If I hit a
> key it says:

> What does this mean?  Is the CDROM loaded right?  Is the CD I burned bad
> because it is JOLIET?  Or is there something more insideous?

> If it is the CD I burned using JOLIET, is there anyway to make a CD from
> windows box without using JOLIET and that preserve the long file names...

> Thanks in advance,
> Mike S.

1. Problem with SuSE 5.1 and Sony CD-ROM cdu33a !?

Hi!

When I try to install the SuSE Linux distribution my CD-ROM has an
error!
My Sony CD-ROM cdu33a is connected on my MAD16 sound-card.
The port of the CD-ROM is 0x340 and the irq is 10.
I am able to load the CD-ROM as a loadable modul, but when the
installation program trys to read there are a many error messages on
the virtual screen ALT-F4:

The installation program is able to read from the CD-ROM between the
errors and so I tried to install but somewhere in the middle of the
installation everything stops and nothing else than a warmstart worked.
Can anybody help me ?!

Martin

2. Installing ADSL

3. Kernel Upgrade/Sony CDU33A problem - HELP!!!

4. is /usr/bin/passwd as a shell a security-hazard?

5. RH 5.1 -> kernel 2.1.122 , kernel panic

6. the kernel size ???

7. Help with Kernel Panic in RH 5.1 Install

8. Linux for PowerMac

9. Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

10. HELP PLEASE, I WANT TO INSTALL REDHAT 5.1 LINUX

11. Redhat 4.2 from Sony CDU33A

12. Please Help on PPP Connection Problem with Redhat Linux 5.1

13. Please Help with Changing Hostname on RedHat 5.1 System