Corel Linux installations

Post by E. Bruce Lynn, I » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am rather anti-Micro$oft, and want to start using Linux.  My thinking
is to get the advanced version offered by Corel, because it seemed to
have more newbie friendly features, and add-ons included in its
relatively low price when it comes out.  Also my reasoning is that if
enough people begin buying the Corel version, more mainstream businesses
and individuals will begin looking seriously at Linux which will be
beneficial for all Linux users.

My question is does anyone know if the Corel versions has some utility
that will allow for me to have multiple OS's and select at boot which
one to load.  I have to keep Windows 98 for awhile, and would like to
have a DOS 5.x partition in addition to the Linux partition.

--
E. Bruce Lynn, II

Corel Linux installations

Post by Roordaw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I am rather anti-Micro$oft, and want to start using Linux.  My thinking
> is to get the advanced version offered by Corel, because it seemed to
> have more newbie friendly features, and add-ons included in its
> relatively low price when it comes out.  Also my reasoning is that if
> enough people begin buying the Corel version, more mainstream businesses
> and individuals will begin looking seriously at Linux which will be
> beneficial for all Linux users.

If all of the users of all the distros so far have been (to a degree)
unsuccessful, Corel won't make a difference. But that's not really what is
happening. Linux is becoming more mainstream, and Corel is just jumping on
the bandwagon.

Quote:> My question is does anyone know if the Corel versions has some utility
> that will allow for me to have multiple OS's and select at boot which
> one to load.  I have to keep Windows 98 for awhile, and would like to
> have a DOS 5.x partition in addition to the Linux partition.

All versions of linux have that ability, but that is because of software
that is not part of the kernel. It is generally included in most every
distro, but even if it's not, you could always set it up on your own. But it
would definately be included in corel, because as you said, "user-friendly."
Although after working with Corel Word Perfect Suite, I have determined that
their idea of user friendly is my idea of a living hell.
Quote:> --
> E. Bruce Lynn, II

Corel Linux installations

Post by cathy » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I am rather anti-Micro$oft, and want to start using Linux.  My thinking
> is to get the advanced version offered by Corel, because it seemed to
> have more newbie friendly features, and add-ons included in its
> relatively low price when it comes out.

I just switched from RedHat 6.1 to Corel Deluxe, which is a modified
Debian distro. I miss seeing the boot time messages, I get a pretty
pastel Corel pic instead (ala Windows), but this distro really is aimed
at the mass market, and all those "incomprehensible" messages might
scare them. I can print from the text editor, Netscape (it came with
4.7, much faster than 4.6 and doesn't lock up) and Wordperfect (also
included), which I was unable to do in RedHat even after adding the
"alias" line to the right file and running printtool. Most importantly
to me, it came with Civ Call To Power for Linux. With that one addition
it enabled me to delete Win 98 from my machine entirely! I like the
Corel File Manager better than kfm, and KDE is my preferred desktop
anyway, so I'm in user heaven. For $80 I got all of the above, plus a
Linux user manual, a Wordperfect user manual, and a cute little penquin
that now sits on my monitor. I vote Corel.

cathyy

1. Linux (Corel Linux Installation)

Hi All:
I have got a download version of Corel Linux last week. Then I tried to
install it in my PC. Before installation, my PC had already had Win98, so
I used Partition Magic to create one more drive (2GB) for Corel Linux.
After that, I started followed the instruction to install the Corel Linux
and then restarted my PC. After the PC was rebooted, the PC still go to
Win98 OS directly. It cannot been gone to the index page for me to select
which OS I can go to, so I don't know what step I miss to do? Pls tell me
as soon as possible if everyone knows. Thanks a lot!!

2. DDI/DKI for writing device driver on Solaris 2.X

3. Corel Linux installation

4. Confirm no way to write code to validate Unix password?

5. Corel Linux installation...

6. Corel Linux doesn't seem to install corectly - HELP ME please

7. Problems with Corel Linux installation

8. NW Caldera clinet?

9. Corel Linux Installation - No Operating System Message

10. Corel linux installation

11. Corel Linux installation problem

12. Corel Linux Installation

13. corel linux installation problems