Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Mike Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
I'm trying to set up my HP 812C printer under Linux Mandrake 6.1 with
the stock 2.2.13 kernel.  I've compiled parallel port support into the
kernel and got it detecting my parallel port and printer upon startup.
However, when I try to set up my print filter using printtool, it can't
detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2.  f I put in /dev/lp0 manually
and test it, I get the following message:

Error printing to /dev/lp0:  No such device

lpd seems to start up fine during boot, and my file system shows
/dev/lp0, 1, and 2, as well as /dev/parport.   Any ideas?  I'm not
experienced enough with Linux yet to know where to look.

Thanks!
Mike

--
Mike Simpson

http://www.sessioneer.com
"Play that funky music, white boy!"

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Marc Thompso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Mike,

This won't solve your problem, but it may get you in the right direction:

Try redirecting output directly to the printer,
#cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp0

You should get, at least, something on the printer and will know that the
port is alive.

Good luck,
Marc Thompson

> Hi,
> I'm trying to set up my HP 812C printer under Linux Mandrake 6.1 with
> the stock 2.2.13 kernel.  I've compiled parallel port support into the
> kernel and got it detecting my parallel port and printer upon startup.
> However, when I try to set up my print filter using printtool, it can't
> detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2.  f I put in /dev/lp0 manually
> and test it, I get the following message:

> Error printing to /dev/lp0:  No such device

> lpd seems to start up fine during boot, and my file system shows
> /dev/lp0, 1, and 2, as well as /dev/parport.   Any ideas?  I'm not
> experienced enough with Linux yet to know where to look.

> Thanks!
> Mike

> --
> Mike Simpson

> http://www.sessioneer.com
> "Play that funky music, white boy!"

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Mike Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Nope, I still get "/dev/lp0: No such device".  I've tried removing and
recreating lp0-2 using mknod, but still no joy.  Here's my /etc/printcap, if
that matters:

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 3 {}
lp|hp812c|HP DeskJet 812C Local:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Thanks for the reply,
Mike

> Mike,

> This won't solve your problem, but it may get you in the right direction:

> Try redirecting output directly to the printer,
> #cat somefile.txt > /dev/lp0

> You should get, at least, something on the printer and will know that the
> port is alive.

> Good luck,
> Marc Thompson

> > Hi,
> > I'm trying to set up my HP 812C printer under Linux Mandrake 6.1 with
> > the stock 2.2.13 kernel.  I've compiled parallel port support into the
> > kernel and got it detecting my parallel port and printer upon startup.
> > However, when I try to set up my print filter using printtool, it can't
> > detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2.  f I put in /dev/lp0 manually
> > and test it, I get the following message:

> > Error printing to /dev/lp0:  No such device

> > lpd seems to start up fine during boot, and my file system shows
> > /dev/lp0, 1, and 2, as well as /dev/parport.   Any ideas?  I'm not
> > experienced enough with Linux yet to know where to look.

> > Thanks!
> > Mike

> > --
> > Mike Simpson

> > http://www.sessioneer.com
> > "Play that funky music, white boy!"

--
Mike Simpson
http://www.sessioneer.com
"Play that funky music, white boy!"

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Mike Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sorry to reply to my own post....

I tried starting the printer manually using "lpc start lp", and got the
following:

lp:
        printing enabled
lpc: connect: Connection refused
        couldn't start daemon

Apparently lpd is working - /var/spool/lpd/lp/status shows that it's trying to
deliver the job to the printer, but lp isn't up and won't start.  Any ideas
why?

Thanks,
Mike

> [...]

> > You should get, at least, something on the printer and will know that the
> > port is alive.

> > Good luck,
> > Marc Thompson

> > > Hi,
> > > I'm trying to set up my HP 812C printer under Linux Mandrake 6.1 with
> > > the stock 2.2.13 kernel.  I've compiled parallel port support into the
> > > kernel and got it detecting my parallel port and printer upon startup.
> > > However, when I try to set up my print filter using printtool, it can't
> > > detect /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2.  f I put in /dev/lp0 manually
> > > and test it, I get the following message:

> > > Error printing to /dev/lp0:  No such device

> > > lpd seems to start up fine during boot, and my file system shows
> > > /dev/lp0, 1, and 2, as well as /dev/parport.   Any ideas?  I'm not
> > > experienced enough with Linux yet to know where to look.

Post by Robb Aley Alla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Let's try first things first: Check /proc/devices and see if lp is
listed as a recognized device. If yes, then check /proc/parport/lp/
and read the files. If you find info on your printer, then at least
you know that the kernel recognizes it after bootup. In this case the
problem is somewhere in your printing setup.

If not, then you may have problems loading the modules for
parport. Several people have had trouble with this (inc'g me) with the
upgrade to RH6.1. You may need to add the following lines to
/etc/conf.modules:

        alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Then run /sbin/rmmod lp. Any further attempt to use the lp device will
reload the modules correctly.

There is some doc'n on this at RH's site under "gotchas".

Good luck.

--
Robb Aley Allan

Helical Design          Myron A. Minskoff, Inc. ACM

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Mike Simpso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Found the problem.  I had parallel port support compiled into the kernel, but not
parallel printer support (lp0).  Doh!  Thus, the device wasn't there.  This
morning I upgraded to the 2.214 kernel, and in the process of configuring it,
found that option.  Now I'm getting printer output, even if it's not exactly
printing correctly.  I'll putz around with the driver settings and see how well I
can make it print...

Thanks for all the help,
Mike

> Sorry to reply to my own post....

> I tried starting the printer manually using "lpc start lp", and got the
> following:

> lp:
>         printing enabled
> lpc: connect: Connection refused
>         couldn't start daemon

> Apparently lpd is working - /var/spool/lpd/lp/status shows that it's trying to
> deliver the job to the printer, but lp isn't up and won't start.  Any ideas
> why?

> Thanks,
> Mike

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by thardiso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Found the problem.  I had parallel port support compiled into the kernel, but not
> parallel printer support (lp0).  Doh!  Thus, the device wasn't there.  This
> morning I upgraded to the 2.214 kernel, and in the process of configuring it,
> found that option.  Now I'm getting printer output, even if it's not exactly
> printing correctly.  I'll putz around with the driver settings and see how well I
> can make it print...

> Thanks for all the help,
> Mike

> > Sorry to reply to my own post....

> > I tried starting the printer manually using "lpc start lp", and got the
> > following:

> > lp:
> >         printing enabled
> > lpc: connect: Connection refused
> >         couldn't start daemon

> > Apparently lpd is working - /var/spool/lpd/lp/status shows that it's trying to
> > deliver the job to the printer, but lp isn't up and won't start.  Any ideas
> > why?

> > Thanks,
> > Mike

Continuing on this subject, I have the stair stepping problem on my printer.

The filter that I found in a book did not work.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!!

Tyler
Linux Baby

Have parport, but no lp0

Post by Gene Hesket » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to thardison ;

>> Found the problem.  I had parallel port support compiled into the
>> kernel, but not parallel printer support (lp0).  Doh!  Thus, the
>> device wasn't there.  This morning I upgraded to the 2.214 kernel,
>> and in the process of configuring it, found that option.  Now I'm
>> getting printer output, even if it's not exactly printing
>> correctly.  I'll putz around with the driver settings and see how
>> well I can make it print...

>> Thanks for all the help,
>> Mike

>> > Sorry to reply to my own post....

>> > I tried starting the printer manually using "lpc start lp", and
>> > got the following:

>> > lp:
>> >         printing enabled
>> > lpc: connect: Connection refused
>> >         couldn't start daemon

>> > Apparently lpd is working - /var/spool/lpd/lp/status shows that
>> > it's trying to deliver the job to the printer, but lp isn't up
>> > and won't start.  Any ideas why?

>> > Thanks,
>> > Mike
> Continuing on this subject, I have the stair stepping problem on my
> printer.
> The filter that I found in a book did not work.
> Anyone have a suggestion?

run printtool

It should have an option box to check on one of its pages to control
that.  You might want to check the send EOF box too if it doesn't spit
out the page when its done.

Cheers, Gene
--

                        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material, is

1. second parport PCI (lp1) card disturbs standard buildin parport (lp0)

Hi,

I've put a second parport PCI card into my GA-7DXE mainboard and
get some trouble with my first, the origin lp0 buildin the mainboard.

The first parport is connected to a OKI matrix printer and delay
printer jobs with 10sec to 30sec - but only sometimes (in about
10% of jobs). Why?

conf.modules :
options parport_pc io=0x378,0xdc00  irq=7,11
#options parport_pc io=0x378,0xdc00  irq=7,auto
#options parport_pc io=0x378,0xdc00 irq=none,none

I tested polling and irq mode. In both modes I get delays. In IRQ-mode
the Kyocera 600 laser prints sheed of paper with some curious chars
before each job. So running polling mode is the best now.

I've already tested ECP and NORMAL in BIOS. Some other suggestions?

Without the second parport card the parport lp0 works well without
delay.

Has somebody here experiances with second parport card?
Perhaps make a new kernel with parport buldin and start kernel
with   lp0 0x378  lp1 0xdc00?

my second controller (lspci -vv in interrupt mode):
00:09.0 Parallel controller: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device
7268 (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [ECP])
         Subsystem: Timedia Technology Co Ltd: Unknown device 0103
         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
 >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
         Region 0: I/O ports at dc00 [size=8]
         Region 1: I/O ports at e000 [size=8]

tia
Ekkard

2. libc-5.2.16 *** Kernel *** Make

3. 2.4.2 OOPS on parport loading [pci_register_driver] // parport slow

4. Pentium & Motherboard Combo ??

5. parport supporting zipdrive + printer on 1 parport?

6. Linux as NAT router with two DSL uplinks

7. ls > /dev/lp0 fails--but /dev/lp0 exists

8. how to avoid loop

9. Printing problem : ls > /dev/lp0 -- /dev/lp0 : No Such Device ?

10. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

11. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

12. NOS shootout

13. Seeds for random nos.