Is there DISadvantage to scsi emulation for ide cdrom reader?

Is there DISadvantage to scsi emulation for ide cdrom reader?

Post by Ron Jens » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am using ide-scsi to run a cdr/w drive as a scsi device. Module
management would be easier if I ran my ide cdrom reader the same way.
Is there any disadvantage to this.

Related question: is there any module options for ide-scsi that would
make it claim only the cdrw, and not my ide cdrom reader?

Related question: I can't find any documentation on kernel module
options. I only see them mentioned in how-tos once in a while. Is
there a reference?

Post by Jim Henderso » Thu, 01 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I am using ide-scsi to run a cdr/w drive as a scsi device. Module
> management would be easier if I ran my ide cdrom reader the same way.
> Is there any disadvantage to this.

Not that I've seen - however I haven't been able to get ide-scsi
emulation to work as a module, it had to be compiled directly into the
kernel.

Quote:> Related question: is there any module options for ide-scsi that would
> make it claim only the cdrw, and not my ide cdrom reader?

I don't believe so - it treats the entire IDE bus as a SCSI device.  If
you've got a dual IDE controller, you could do this by putting one drive
on each interface; however, for copying CDs, you probably want the
drives on the same controller.

Quote:> Related question: I can't find any documentation on kernel module
> options. I only see them mentioned in how-tos once in a while. Is
> there a reference?

Not that I've found, though I haven't looked - I just went through the
docs for cdrecord and followed them to get my burner working.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

1. ide cdrom and cdrom writer with scsi harddisk using cdrecord can't find cd reader

I have a scsi controller with the primary harddisk (id 0) and 2 ide cdrom
drives. When using xcdroast (cdrecord) it only shows the cd recorder and not
the other ide cdrom. Loaded modules are scsi-ide and sg. The system shows
both drives found and the cd writer is assigned a scsi device, but xcdroast
does not show the reader.

2. su in script

3. Warning: Probable kernel bug with ide-scsi mode CDROM drives: readers and burners

4. Linux 2.0.15 won't compile...

5. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom devices

6. Gopher?

7. ide-scsi emulation and cdrom mount

8. fsck and passno

9. timeout on TUR to IDE CDROM using SCSI emulation

10. Sound and SCSI emulation of IDE CDROM

11. SCSI card and ide-scsi emulation: should they work together?

12. SCSI controler and ide-scsi emulation

13. symbios sym53c416 scsi-card together with ide-scsi-emulation on Suse 7.3