HW slowdown w/mem>64Mb

Post by Jacob Martinso » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have read a few posts about mem upgrades causes slower performance when
there is not enough cache to address it.  Does anyone know where there are
documented resources on this topic. Purely for learning/info purposes.

Thanks in advance!!!

1. >64MB mem problem - why not fix it?

I'm very curious about why Linux only recognises 64MB RAM?
I know that there's a limitation in the method Linux uses to
get the RAM-size, but then USE ANOTHER METHOD!

My BIOS counts up to 96megs when I boot, NT finds 96 megs whithout
any help, so why could Linux not accomplish this too?

//Marcus
        Marcus Sundberg        | WWW: http://www.e.kth.se/~e94_msu/
 Royal Institute of Technology |       This space for rent...

2. Can a Linux (Redhat5.1) join an NT 4.x-SP3 domain ???

3. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

4. Detecting client abort

5. >64MB mem read fail

6. Diferent mouse port after Linux installation

7. request help w/lilo.conf and mem > 64mb

8. dns, sendmail .... HELP!!!

9. Q: 128 MB, 64MB cachable -> 64MB RAM disk, swap space?

10. slowdown with +64MB RAM

11. tadpole 64mb mem simms

12. Linux crashes after 40-64MB mem upgrade

13. Nonupgradable cache MB- 64MB+ mem possible?