Install onto CD

Post by Mike Cabine » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:54:47

How would I go about making an installation on a CD?  More
specifically, I want to be able to boot this CD on anyone's machine
without having to install it on thier hard drive.  It would be a nice
way to logon to my home system remotely and know that it is secure and
whoever owns the PC that I'm using can't logon to my home sys once I'm
gone.

Install onto CD

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:20:47

Quote:> How would I go about making an installation on a CD?  More
> specifically, I want to be able to boot this CD on anyone's machine
> without having to install it on thier hard drive.  It would be a nice
> way to logon to my home system remotely and know that it is secure and
> whoever owns the PC that I'm using can't logon to my home sys once I'm
> gone.

http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/

You can search for other distributions under "minimalistic" on
www.linux.org.

Install onto CD

Post by Ian Northeas » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:17:26

> How would I go about making an installation on a CD?  More
> specifically, I want to be able to boot this CD on anyone's machine
> without having to install it on thier hard drive.  It would be a nice
> way to logon to my home system remotely and know that it is secure and
> whoever owns the PC that I'm using can't logon to my home sys once I'm
> gone.

You could use:

http://www.knoppix.org/

and save yourself the effort. It works very well on most PCs.

Regards, Ian

Install onto CD

Post by Jerr » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:34:17

It worked great on my old laptop and desktop....

Cool

Abear, Jerome (Jerry)
Systems Analyst
505-272-8223

University of New Mexico
Biocomputing Center
Office of Research
Basic Medical Sciences Building B61E
915 Camino de Salud, NE
Albuquerque, NM, USA 87131

Post by mjt » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:46:53

> How would I go about making an installation on a CD?  More
> specifically, I want to be able to boot this CD on anyone's machine

... www.knoppix.com

1. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

Greetings.

 I just purchased Slackware 3.2 on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek. And I
want to install it!

 Unfortunately, my CD-ROM drive is on a PCMCIA SCSI controller (New
Media Toast'n'Jam).  In fact, the hard drive I want to install Linux
to is also on this controller.

 I presume that, in order to pull this off, I will need a special
bootdisk and rootdisk that includes the PCMCIA drivers and the
appropriate commands in rc.local or whatever to utilize them.

 So, does anyone have such a boot/rootdisk combo made up already? If
so, where can I get it?

 I'd really like to install this, so any replies would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!  (Please respond by e-mail if possible.)
--

WWW Home Page: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455| right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.

2. terminal woes

3. installing linux onto sparc w/o access to floppy,cd,network

4. Sound from one speaker

5. Can't install OS5 from IDE CD onto IDE drive

6. remove network interface

7. Installing Linux Redhat onto an IBM 701C thinkpad using a parallel port CD-ROM

8. Audio driver for AMD-768 (part of 760MPX chipset)

9. Is it possible to install Linux w/o CD-ROM onto DOS system?

10. AIX 4.3 CD install image onto 5GB tape

11. Accessing second image dumped onto a CD-RW

12. How to burn Linux files onto a CD?

13. Need to burn SuSE 6.1 onto CDs...what goes where?