Loadlin question

Post by Wilford Stevenso » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a few questions about loadlin.

1. How does one copy (i.e. cp, dd, rawrite, ??) the linux kernel to the dos partition
for use with loadlin?

2. Where typically is the kernel and what is it usually called?  I've seen vmlinux,
vmlinuz, zImage, and bzImage.

3. How would one invoke loadlin?  For example, loadlin (options ???).

Thanks in advance,

Wilford Stevenson

Loadlin question

Post by Nemesi » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a few questions about loadlin.

> 1. How does one copy (i.e. cp, dd, rawrite, ??) the linux kernel to the dos partition
> for use with loadlin?

Let's say, your msdos partition is /dev/hda1 (that is, first IDE drive,
first partition. /dev/hdb2 would be second IDE, second partition ...)

mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt should mount your msdos partition under
your /mnt directory, now it's part of your file system (sort of).

Now you can copy it with cp without any changes, just cp /vmlinuz
/mnt/vmlinuz

Quote:> 2. Where typically is the kernel and what is it usually called?  I've seen vmlinux,
> vmlinuz, zImage, and bzImage.

mine is /vmlinuz, I'm using slackware 3 and it's a 1.2.13 kernel, not
compressed (at least I don't rememeber compressing it :)

Quote:> 3. How would one invoke loadlin?  For example, loadlin (options ???).

Loadlin comes with a really extensive documentation, even with example
files.
--
Alex Ramirez-Bellido
Computer Science FIB-UPC (Spain)

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ma6arb/home.htm

"Daddy, what does <formatting drive c mean?>" ...

Loadlin question

Post by George Schroed » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:Hi,
:
:I have a few questions about loadlin.
:
:1. How does one copy (i.e. cp, dd, rawrite, ??) the linux kernel to the dos partition
:for use with loadlin?

Mount the DOS partition and use cp.
For example, I have my first DOS partition (/dev/hda1) mounted on /dosc,
and all the loadlin stuff is in the DOS directory c:\loadlin.  After
compiling a kernel, I just use 'cp zImage /dosc/loadlin/zimage'.

:
:2. Where typically is the kernel and what is it usually called?  I've seen vmlinux,
:vmlinuz, zImage, and bzImage.
:

As you can see from above, I am using zimage.

:3. How would one invoke loadlin?  For example, loadlin (options ???).
:

Loadlin has good documentation.  In my case, all that is needed is
loadlin zimage ro

:Thanks in advance,
:
:Wilford Stevenson

Loadlin question

Post by Carl Fi » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[about the kernel]

Quote:>mine is /vmlinuz, I'm using slackware 3 and it's a 1.2.13 kernel, not
>compressed (at least I don't rememeber compressing it :)

Compression is automatic -- in every *nix system I've used, that "z"
or "Z" means "compressed".  vmlinuz is definitly compressed.
--

The threatened email attack on my account has failed to materialize, and I'm
ending my policy of digitally signing everything I mail or post.

1. loadlin question...

Does loadlin need to be executed from a minimal DOS environment,
i.e. before any memory managers come-up?

Are there any known side-effects of using loadlin rather than lilo?

Thanks
--

Applied Microsystems Corporation         UUCP: amc-gw!mikel
Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000 ext. ???

2. Hardware guide to Alpha?

3. Loadlin question

4. X server for Concept GVT (Tek 4013 clone)

5. loadlin question or how to copy kernel

6. Copy and paste does not work

7. loadlin question

8. Linux + Compaq DeskPro 5100

9. Question about loadlin.exe