Memory run away

Post by Dion Chapm » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

My linux box seems to be running out of memory and crashing, the error on
the console is something like 'can't get page handler' and if you touch a
key it says can't get memory for agetty.

the machine is a intel pentium 133 with 64meg ram and an IBM scsi 2.1gig
drive. with an AHA2920 controler (uses Future Domain driver but needs the
bios number changed from 3.0 to 3.4 in driver module) i have the system
compiled with no loadble modules.

here is a capture of my /proc/meminfo

        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  64823296 62300160  2523136 15405056 30777344 21839872
Swap: 61927424   106496 61820928
MemTotal:     63304 kB
MemFree:       2464 kB
MemShared:    15044 kB
Buffers:      30056 kB
Cached:       21328 kB
SwapTotal:    60476 kB
SwapFree:     60372 kB

this is the memory use after 5hrs of up time... last time it crashed it
had 2.9meg of swap space used.

these crashes happen if users are on or not, the only time i have been on
when it's happen i have noticed it getting realy slow then it's crashed
and the only thing i can do is reset it with the reset button.

any help would be nice

Dion

1. webhosting.com - stay away... far far away

i made a big mistake hosting with webhosting.com

they do not respond to support and don't know what they are doing. i've
tried everything with them. i havn't heard anything from them in over a
week (they claim 48 hour response). i've even escalated to the
president, three times, and still heard nothing. their 'live support'
feature is a fraud. it is NEVER staffed.

stay away from webhosting.com

i'd love to hear from others with similar experience. they've cost me a
lot of time and money and i intend to get it back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Tcsh 6.05: does it read ~/.login?

4. memory leak in NFS if a sever goes away?

5. How to stop savecore after a crash dump.

6. xterms are eating my memory away.

7. US-CA- San Francisco- SWE - Enterprise Security, HPUX, WIN32, C/C++ - Contract Opportunity

8. Acessing memory hidden away from linux

9. Memory slipping away

10. dlvr_audit run away processes

11. data acquisition, please help me to run away from windows

12. Solaris 7 run away process problem.