RH4.0 : Error installing "Install BootLoader". Pls Help!

RH4.0 : Error installing "Install BootLoader". Pls Help!

Post by Kim_sang-wh » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello Linuxers:

While installing RH4.0, every step goes through fine until
installing LILO step where I get

Error occur during step "Install Bootloader"

50$$ for RH4.0 CD get me nothing.
Very disappointing!

I appreciate it if you could send some workaround.

Here is the config of my system.
P6 200, adeptec 2940uw, sd1 for NT4.0, sd2 for linux.
I want to make a boot disk (third option in LILO step of RH4.0 installation)

Thanks!

Dept. of Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

RH4.0 : Error installing "Install BootLoader". Pls Help!

Post by Christoph Schu » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello Linuxers:

> While installing RH4.0, every step goes through fine until
> installing LILO step where I get

> Error occur during step "Install Bootloader"

Experienced the same problem yesterday but I was not able to find out the
reason for this behavior (I'm a newbie by myself). I "just" killed my Linux
partitions and started the whole installation again. Now everthing works
fine.

Good luck

Post by wjgeorg » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hello Linuxers:

> While installing RH4.0, every step goes through fine until
> installing LILO step where I get

> Error occur during step "Install Bootloader"

> 50$$ for RH4.0 CD get me nothing.
> Very disappointing!

> I appreciate it if you could send some workaround.

> Here is the config of my system.
> P6 200, adeptec 2940uw, sd1 for NT4.0, sd2 for linux.
> I want to make a boot disk (third option in LILO step of RH4.0 installation)

> Thanks!
> --

> Dept. of Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I had this problem. I think I fixed it by forcing a reboot after I
fdisk'ed my drive to create the Linux Native Partition. It required
several reboots and reloads. It also didn't help that my Win95 fdisk
program kept deleteing my NT4.0 partitions, I ended using the Linux
fdisk only.

Post by caba.. » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Hello Linuxers:

> > While installing RH4.0, every step goes through fine until
> > installing LILO step where I get

> > Error occur during step "Install Bootloader"

> > 50$$ for RH4.0 CD get me nothing.
> > Very disappointing!

> > I appreciate it if you could send some workaround.

> > Here is the config of my system.
> > P6 200, adeptec 2940uw, sd1 for NT4.0, sd2 for linux.
> > I want to make a boot disk (third option in LILO step of RH4.0
installation)

> > Thanks!
> > --

> > Dept. of Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
> I had this problem. I think I fixed it by forcing a reboot after I
> fdisk'ed my drive to create the Linux Native Partition. It required
> several reboots and reloads. It also didn't help that my Win95 fdisk
> program kept deleteing my NT4.0 partitions, I ended using the Linux
> fdisk only.

I had the same set of problems with Redhat (paid the $50 too :-( ), with
the same scsi combination (aha2940).  Here's what I did that did work well.

1. got the aic7xxx.img.gz file from redhat ftp site.  (boot disk)
2. used the new boot disk for the installation of redhat.

3. (gonna quote from their web page here)

Download the appropriate boot image in binary mode.

Use gunzip to uncompress it.

Use rawrite to write it to a floppy disk,
    creating your new boot floppy.

Boot it and do a normal installation or upgrade.

When the installation or upgrade has finished and the computer
    reboots, put the boot floppy in the drive and boot off it with the
    boot command:

        linux root=/dev/sd??

    where sd?? is the root partition on which you installed Linux.

After booting, mount the boot floppy, probably like this:

        mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Then copy the kernel image from the floppy over the default one
    provided with the system:

        cp /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz

Re-run lilo:

      /sbin/lilo

Shutdown and reboot:

       /sbin/shutdown -r now

At this point, you should have a working Linux system.

And I did :-)

Roy F. Cabaniss

If it came from my account..... ain't no one else responsible.

1. RH4.0, Error in "Install Bootloader" : Please Help!

Hello Linuxers:

While installing RH4.0, every step goes through fine until
installing LILO step where I get

Error occur during step "Install Bootloader"

50$$ for RH4.0 CD get me nothing.
Very disappointing!

I appreciate it if you could send some workaround.

Here is the config of my system.
P6 200, adeptec 2940uw, sd1 for NT4.0, sd2 for linux.
I want to make a boot disk (third option in LILO step of RH4.0 installation)

Thanks!

Dept. of Economics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

2. pb@i-carre.net

3. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

4. kill unneeded code from mm/memory.c

5. Error "Install bootloader" RH 5.0 & 6.0

6. Madrake 6.0 & DWL-650

7. Error during "Install Bootloader" process of installation

8. Commercial PPP server software

9. An error occured during step "Install bootloader"

10. "Install bootloader" error

11. RH7.1 install fails w/ "operation not permitted" "install exited abnormally"