Very Newbie

Post by kreak.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am running Linux RedHat 6.2 on a Sun Ultra Sparc. I am trying to
install any applications and I mean any.  Someone mentioned that I have

do that??

Many thanks in Advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Very Newbie

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I am running Linux RedHat 6.2 on a Sun Ultra Sparc. I am trying to
>install any applications and I mean any.  Someone mentioned that I have

>do that??

Get the source code for it (usually distributed as a .tar.gz file),
unpack it with 'tar xzvf whatever.tar.gz', and read whatever
documentation is there. There's often an INSTALL file, for instance. A
very large number of programs use the GNU autoconf/automake system, and
there all you need to do is type './configure' (having changed into the
top-level source directory), 'make', and 'make install'.

You'll need the usual array of development tools installed; Red Hat's
installer should have had the option to install some for you. gcc, make,
binutils, and any -devel packages that look appropriate are the usual
candidates.

Alternatively, you could install Debian 2.2, which has over 4000
packages already compiled, tested, and supported for SPARC. :)

--

"By our very nature as humans interacting with each other it is
 impossible to remove politics completely." - Emma Pease, news.groups

Very Newbie

Post by Clive DaSilv » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi
actually its real easy ;)  you download the tarbal in which the
application is in and then do the following (usually)

1) tar xzf stuff.tar.gz
2) cd /stuff
3) cat README , if it exists (there usually is a readme)
4) cat INSTALL , there usually is install docs which will usually tell
you something like this

5)./configure in /stuff
6)if the configure works ok, then type make, then sometimes make check
7)if you get past make check , then type make install to install the
prog.
8)then from a console or xterm window, type the name of the
executable.

The point im making here is that in 99% of the applications, there is
usually sufficient documentation to compile the application on
whichever platform or computer you are running. steps 5,6 and 7 are
the compile part ;)))

good luck ;))

>I am running Linux RedHat 6.2 on a Sun Ultra Sparc. I am trying to
>install any applications and I mean any.  Someone mentioned that I have

>do that??

>Many thanks in Advance

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

1. Newbie newbie newbie

Sorry to bother you all but I am not a regular LINUX user. I got myself a
version of a program called "Smoothwall" which turns an old computer system
into a firewall. (although it was a system made of mostly old components I
did put in a brand new hard disk)

When I installed the smoothwall software I didnt know that the embedded
LINUX would place some data on my hard disk's boot sector. I am now left
with a hard disk that cannot be used for a windows installation. Even after
deleting all the non-dos partitions and reformatting the disk it still has
some LINUX hiding away on it.

Can somebody please tell me a way to erase the data on the boot sector so as
to restore the disk to its out-of-the-box condition and ready to use for
windows?

Any assistance will be greatfully accepted

B.G

2. Regular expression in DirectoryMatch

3. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

4. Problem migrating to AIX 5.1

5. (newbie) makefile question (newbie)

6. kprobes patches for 2.5.44

7. From a newbie for newbies w/ Modem problems...

8. Defunct Process

9. newbie: newbie: login problem with Linux Red Hat on IBM A20

10. ksh...newbie alert..newbie alert

11. A ports guide for newbies by a newbie (Gurus check me out !)

12. Need help - Newbie-est of the Newbie's

13. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question