Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

Post by Bob Loftu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> A family member has an IBM Thinkpad 755CD .. 486 100MHZ cpu, 16meg
> ram, and here's the problem, a MWAVE modem/sound chipset on board.

The big problem here will be the 16MB ram unless you like the command
line.

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

Post by Mark Spenc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've been working with Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 today and am so impressed
with it I'm starting to scheme how I can install it on the rest of my
PC's!

A family member has an IBM Thinkpad 755CD .. 486 100MHZ cpu, 16meg
ram, and here's the problem, a MWAVE modem/sound chipset on board.
Under Windows95 the modem will operate at 33.6K, or if you would like
sound at the same time, 28.8K.

I browsed the net and found some linux on MWAVE related sites, but
most of them were out of date.

Is MWAVE support for linux still being pursued, or am I barking up the
wrong tree so to speak with this Thinkpad? I guess I could leave
Windows95 on it, but linux is much more fun. ;)

Thanks,

Mark

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

Post by blari » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have installed COL on my 760C but have not gotten the MWAVE hack to
work.  Supposedly if you follow the instructions at www.flexion.org you
can get the sound to work (not the modem).  Also at flexion.org there
is a link to a site where a guy is trying to build a kernel module that
will work with the MWAVE sound but there has not been an update there
in a while. If you can do without the sound or feel like tinkering with
the MWAVE hack you should be able to get something going, but like the
other post mentions you may want to invest in at least 16MB more.  I
found memory at Kingston.com and Simpletech.com for the 760C,CD models.
blariz

> I've been working with Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 today and am so impressed
> with it I'm starting to scheme how I can install it on the rest of my
> PC's!

> A family member has an IBM Thinkpad 755CD .. 486 100MHZ cpu, 16meg
> ram, and here's the problem, a MWAVE modem/sound chipset on board.
> Under Windows95 the modem will operate at 33.6K, or if you would like
> sound at the same time, 28.8K.

> I browsed the net and found some linux on MWAVE related sites, but
> most of them were out of date.

> Is MWAVE support for linux still being pursued, or am I barking up the
> wrong tree so to speak with this Thinkpad? I guess I could leave
> Windows95 on it, but linux is much more fun. ;)

> Thanks,

> Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

Post by Bob Loftu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok .. I realize on the retail package I purchased, the Caldera OL 2.3
> requirements are 32meg. I was hoping this was kind of a subjective
> thing. ;) So rule of thumb would be not to install COL 2.3 on PC's or
> notebooks with any less than 32meg ram? (When I say COL 2.3 I also
> mean KDE - I wouldn't install COL without KDE.)

What part of "requirements" leaves you guessing?
kde *is* the part that "requires" it.
COL will run just fine, it's the gui that is a beast.

Quote:> >The big problem here will be the 16MB ram unless you like the command
> >line.

Was I unclear?
;->

Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 on IBM Thinkpad 755CD?

Post by Mark Spenc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ok .. I realize on the retail package I purchased, the Caldera OL 2.3
requirements are 32meg. I was hoping this was kind of a subjective
thing. ;) So rule of thumb would be not to install COL 2.3 on PC's or
notebooks with any less than 32meg ram? (When I say COL 2.3 I also
mean KDE - I wouldn't install COL without KDE.)

Thanks,

Mark

>> A family member has an IBM Thinkpad 755CD .. 486 100MHZ cpu, 16meg
>> ram, and here's the problem, a MWAVE modem/sound chipset on board.

>The big problem here will be the 16MB ram unless you like the command
>line.

1. Caldera Openlinux and 2.3.xx

Hi,
    I am running (Caldera's) OpenLinux 2.3 (kernel version 2.2.10), and I
was wanting to try to upgrade to the 2.3.51 kernel.  I know this kernel
isn't a stable kernel yet, but I would still like to try and run it.  I
unzip the source file and use all the make commands (make xconfig, clean,
bzImage, modules, modules_install).  All this is done without any errors.  I
then configure lilo.  My problem is when I try to boot the new kernel
nothing happens.  I went to Caldera's site and they said to upgrade the
kernel use rpms, only I don't think rpms for 2.3.51 exist.  Is it possible
to upgrade the kernel without rpms?  Thank you for your help.

Rusty Buzhardt

2. Where can I download "dtappgather"?

3. Newbie: Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 won't install

4. Security with PHP programming

5. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 RAM requirements?

6. Saamba AIx to Win98

7. Printing woes under Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

8. Newbie RedHat 4.1 Install problems

9. kPPP w/ Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

10. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

11. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 and 3Com 3c509b-TPC NIC card question

12. CALDERA OPENLINUX 2.3

13. Unable to install Caldera OpenLinux 2.3