HELP! - LINUX on a DELL Optiplex GXpro

Post by Kevin Wenche » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

At work I am using a DELL Optiplex GXpro. It has an integrated 3com 905c
network card. Unfortunately, both my PCI SCSI adapter and my network card
share the same IRQ,  IRQ 11. There is no way that  I have found yet to
change this configuration using any of the DELL configuration tools. While
NT doesn't mind this shared IRQ configuration, Linux can't stand it. I get
the "SIOSIFFLAGS" error.
I have visisted the http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
site. The problem with not being able to easily configure IRQ settings on
DELL machines is noted there. They suggest moving the card to another slot.
Well this doesn't work either. I was hoping maybe someone else had overcome
this problem or had a solution as to how it might be done. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!!!

    -Kevin

Post by Shaken Ang » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: At work I am using a DELL Optiplex GXpro. It has an integrated 3com 905c
: network card. Unfortunately, both my PCI SCSI adapter and my network card
: share the same IRQ,  IRQ 11. There is no way that  I have found yet to
: change this configuration using any of the DELL configuration tools. While
: NT doesn't mind this shared IRQ configuration, Linux can't stand it. I get
: the "SIOSIFFLAGS" error.
: I have visisted the http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
: site. The problem with not being able to easily configure IRQ settings on
: DELL machines is noted there. They suggest moving the card to another slot.
: Well this doesn't work either. I was hoping maybe someone else had overcome
: this problem or had a solution as to how it might be done. Any help would be
: greatly appreciated!!!

:
:     -Kevin

Hey like wow -- I had this same problem, except it was with an OptiPlex
GS+, and the conflict was between the inbuilt 3c509 and a S3 ViRGE card I
was trying to install -- however, I think my situation could be applied to
yours.  Here's my diagnosis:

Your onboard network adapter is operating in plug-and-play mode.  Now
this can be completely harmless -- but *not* if you try to add a card,
like I did with the graphics or you're trying to do with this scsi.

I hope you can make a DOS boot disk, 'cos that's what the solution needs.
I'm not sure if it will work under DOSemu, so best grab a DOS box and do a
format /s.  After you create a DOS boot disk, go to 3com's FTP site
(ftp.3com.com, I believe) and pick up the configuration disk set that
applies to your 905.  Unzip it (with INFO-ZIP ... it'll be a .zip file)
onto a second floppy and boot with the DOS, put the configuration disk in
the drive, and find the option to turn off plug-and-play and assign your
onboard network card an IRQ that you *know* is not being used.  Reboot and
everything should be hunky-dory.  If it doesn't work for some reason, go
ahead and drop me a line and I'll try to help you further.  Good luck!

-adr

Graduate of English, administrator of UNIX, unabashed perkygoth,
panphobist extraordinaire, world's most amicable sociopath, industrial
music fan, friend to children everywhere, worker of libraries,
and Thorn in the Side of Order.
Shut up.  It's the future.

Post by Gisbert Berge » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> At work I am using a DELL Optiplex GXpro. It has an integrated 3com 905c
> network card. Unfortunately, both my PCI SCSI adapter and my network card
> share the same IRQ,  IRQ 11. There is no way that  I have found yet to
> change this configuration using any of the DELL configuration tools. While
> NT doesn't mind this shared IRQ configuration, Linux can't stand it. I get
> the "SIOSIFFLAGS" error.
> I have visisted the http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
> site. The problem with not being able to easily configure IRQ settings on
> DELL machines is noted there. They suggest moving the card to another slot.
> Well this doesn't work either. I was hoping maybe someone else had overcome
> this problem or had a solution as to how it might be done. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!!!

>     -Kevin

If the Dell config tools can be executed automatically under DOS, than
you have a chance: I would suggest boot your linux with loadlin instead
of lilo. I think loadlin is enclosed in most distributions.
Have a look at my posting Re:Opti931 based soundcard in Li...
You make a normal DOS startup with proper configuration of your
card IRQ's and than start Linux with lilo. Hopefully this will help.

good luck

1. Dell OptiPlex GXPro dual CPU system with linux

I am looking at purchasing the above system (with two Petnium Pro 200's)
and running linux on it.  I read somewhere about some problems with the
ATA-2 interface on these systems.  Do such problem still exist?  Are
there any other problems?

The best reply would be someone saying they are running Linux happily on
this system.

Please reply if you have any info.

Thanks,
Carl.
--
J. Carl Kumaradas                           Ontario Cancer Institute

2. HELP! We need passive FTP to work

3. Installing Linux on a Dell Optiplex GxPro 200

4. Problems with Debian + XFree86

5. Dell OptiPlex GXpro 200 and LINUX

6. Random Reboots

7. Dell OptiPlex GXpro Linux problems