Forcing NIC to 100mbps

Post by rlyach » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:32:36

I have linksys LNE100TX NIC in my machine.  I've been finding my
network slower than I'd expected, and I note the following when I run
tulip-diag:

Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0xd400.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.

I guess I need to "force" the NIC to 100m.  Can someone tell me how to
do this?  Is it done using arguments to the tulip driver at boot time,
or using tulip-diag and the -w (for write) argument.  An idiot-proof
command line would be much appreciated!  Also, should I be changing any
other settings for better performance.

Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Forcing NIC to 100mbps

Post by Michel Marc » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:52:30

Hi.
Dunno for this king of NIC, but yes, you are close to the solution
now. You can find a lot of diag/set programs at http://www/scyld.com.
For 3COM I had success this way. After that, you have to mention the
right option when ytou load the module. Options depends of the NIC
type of course.

Good luck

>I have linksys LNE100TX NIC in my machine.  I've been finding my
>network slower than I'd expected, and I note the following when I run
>tulip-diag:

>Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0xd400.
> Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.

>I guess I need to "force" the NIC to 100m.  Can someone tell me how to
>do this?  Is it done using arguments to the tulip driver at boot time,
>or using tulip-diag and the -w (for write) argument.  An idiot-proof
>command line would be much appreciated!  Also, should I be changing any
>other settings for better performance.

>Thanks!

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

--------------------------------
Michel Marcon
Sysadmin UNIX & Windows NT (I try)

Forcing NIC to 100mbps

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:17:38

>I have linksys LNE100TX NIC in my machine.  I've been finding my
>network slower than I'd expected, and I note the following when I run
>tulip-diag:

>Index #1: Found a Lite-On PNIC-II adapter at 0xd400.
> Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.

>I guess I need to "force" the NIC to 100m.  Can someone tell me how to
>do this?  Is it done using arguments to the tulip driver at boot time,
>or using tulip-diag and the -w (for write) argument.  An idiot-proof
>command line would be much appreciated!  Also, should I be changing any
>other settings for better performance.

I have a similar chip LNE100TX (rev 20) from a different nic manufacturer
(Netgear) and the tulip module should automatically do the right thing
based on what you are connected to.  With the newest 2.2.x kernels (2.2.17
in my case) I have to use the old_tulip module for it to work properly.

What are you connected to (hub, switch?) and does it specifically say it
can do more than 10mb?  With a simple hub 10mb half-duplex is the best you
can do.  With a high speed hub you should be able to do 100mb half-duplex.
To do 100mb full-duplex, you have to use a switch or direct nic to nic
crossover cable.  Using old_tulip on my PC with my laptop connected by
crossover cable, tulip-diag says:

 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0x6100.
 Port selection is MII, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.

1. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

This question may be too dumb. In my home network configuration, I have
a DFE-530TX in a linux (RH6.0) box, a PCMCIA 10base-t card in a win98
laptop. Both of them are connected to a dual speed (Ethernet/Fast
Ethernet) hub. I assigned the linux box to 192.168.1.1 and win98 to
192.168.1.2. From the hub, I can see the 10mbps light is on of the port
connecting laptop's NIC and 100mbps light on of the port connecting the
linux. But when I ping from linux to the win98, it just does not have
any response. The same thing to the laptop. Simply, these two machines
don't know each other at all. Strangely, if I assign same IP address to
both machines, pinging from linux, a window popped in the win98 saying
"The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the
system having hardware address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". The address is my
linux NIC.

I must missed something basic in network wiring. Please someone tell me
what's wrong with the above configuration.

Thanks,

David

  david.yuan.vcf
< 1K Download

2. reliable pipe error log

3. Forcing 100Mbps Full duplex

4. How to turn the bell OFF for all windows?

5. Ethernet Line Speed - Force 10Mbps on 10/100Mbps card

6. seeking system administrator

7. Force network card into 100Mbps full duplex?

8. Docs, Tutorials on Linux programming.

9. 3com 100mbps forced

10. Does IBM RS/6000 100Mbps NIC support 802.1q (VLAN)?

11. How to make my 3COM 905TX NIC operates at 100Mbps

12. Seeking more info on Netgear 100Mbps NICs and HUB

13. 100MBPS NIC - Maximum Utilization in Linux vs NT