Upgrading RedHat 5.0 to 5.1 ??

Post by Allan W. Dickerma » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone upgraded from RedHat 5.0 to 5.1?  Are there any big issues?
Do I lose my configurations, like Xdefaults, etc.?
--
Allan*erman

Upgrading RedHat 5.0 to 5.1 ??

Post by Bob Dilwort » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone upgraded from RedHat 5.0 to 5.1?  Are there any big issues?
> Do I lose my configurations, like Xdefaults, etc.?

Alan:

The only problems I had (so far) were the following:

1.  The upgrade to glint had a bug causing it to puke on reading the CD.
You can download the current version from the RedHat ftp server;

2.  The BRU2000 distribution that comes with RedHat didn't work with the
glibc library distributed with the release.  If you go to the ESTC web
page (http://www.estinc.com/FAQ-2.html) you can download a clean glibc to
fix the problem.

You shouldn't lose any of your configurations.

Other than the above (again, so far) I haven't run into any other
problems.

Thanks!!

Bob Dilworth
Medical College of Ohio
Toledo, Ohio USA

Post by J Randall Wilso » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

> > Has anyone upgraded from RedHat 5.0 to 5.1?  Are there any big issues?
> > Do I lose my configurations, like Xdefaults, etc.?

> Alan:

> The only problems I had (so far) were the following:

> 1.  The upgrade to glint had a bug causing it to puke on reading the CD.
> You can download the current version from the RedHat ftp server;

> 2.  The BRU2000 distribution that comes with RedHat didn't work with the
> glibc library distributed with the release.  If you go to the ESTC web
> page (http://www.estinc.com/FAQ-2.html) you can download a clean glibc to
> fix the problem.

> You shouldn't lose any of your configurations.

> Other than the above (again, so far) I haven't run into any other
> problems.

> Thanks!!

> Bob Dilworth
> Medical College of Ohio
> Toledo, Ohio USA

There were/are a number of problems with redhat 5.1.  Some of them will bite
you and some won't
There is an errata page at redhat.com and rpm's to fix those problems
including glint and glibc

1. upgrade redhat 5.0 -> 5.1

Hi all,

I upgraded redhat 5 to redhat 5.1 on my machine yesterday. After setup
was completed, ppp, kde and my zipdrive didn't work anymore. I already
fixed the zip problem and I guess I have to recompile kde. But, I
can't find a solution for ppp. All the settings look alright (netcfg)
and I can dial-in to my ISP, but nothing happens. Ping doesn't work,
nor Netscape or Kmail. Are there any known issues about ppp and redhat
5.1?

One more question, I'll have an ISDN connection up and running next
week. I have an internal PCI ISDN (Wiscom-Tigerjet) adapter and I
would like to know how this works with Linux. Does linux 'sees' that
adapter as an internal modem? I know I have to recompile my kernel but
then...?

Any hints are welcome.

regards,

Frank

2. Trainee/Junior Sys Admin

3. Upgrading RedHat 5.0 to 5.1

4. Problems in instaling Red Hat

5. How to upgrade RedHat 5.0 to 5.1?

6. IP Forwarding to PPP Connection

7. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

8. Mounting Woes

9. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1

10. RedHat 5.0 -> 5.1 upgrade problems

11. How to upgrade from ReHat 5.0 to RedHat 5.1 ??

12. Redhat upgrades, 5.0 - 5.1

13. Redhat 5.0 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive