Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Post by David A. Gold » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> I use all the default settings in the prompts during
> installation...the partitions are created successfully using disk
> druid; formatting completes & the default packages are installed but
> once it gets to the point of Starting the X Server, my screen goes
> haywire & nothing is readable.  I have attempted to deselect any
> "X-Server" options when prompted but I still see that X-apps are
> installed.

Are you trying MetroX or XFree86?  I had similar odd video problems
trying to install MetroX, but XFree86 worked OK.

(I eventually got MetroX working by hand-editing the Xconfig.tmpl file
after I'd installed the rest of the system.)

-Dave

--
NOTE: for e-mail replies, be sure to remove NOSPAM from the address.

Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Post by Terry L » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

First of all, I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux.

I am trying to install RH Linux 5.0 (from CD & boot disk) but I can't
get the video to work.  I am using a supported video card, ATI
Mach64...a 24x CD-ROM (internal), P75 (a little slow), 48MB RAM and a
new (blank) Seagate 2.1 GB IDE Drive.

I use all the default settings in the prompts during
installation...the partitions are created successfully using disk
druid; formatting completes & the default packages are installed but
once it gets to the point of Starting the X Server, my screen goes
haywire & nothing is readable.  I have attempted to deselect any
"X-Server" options when prompted but I still see that X-apps are
installed.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to use X-apps?

Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Post by JMckin20 » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I used Xconfigurator to set mine up.  The installation failed to detect it.  I
also have a supported graphics card.  I had to select "custom" for the Monitor
Setup, and then use parameters similar to what was in the documentation that
came with mine.  It worked the first time after using "custom."  After that I
tried a few more configurations and none worked.

Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Post by Jerry Gitome » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

BE CAREFUL -- setting up the wrong scan rates can damage your
monitor.

Unless you have a desire to replace your monitor you should
stick to the correct specifications for your monitor & video card.

Jerry

> I used Xconfigurator to set mine up.  The installation failed to detect it.  I
> also have a supported graphics card.  I had to select "custom" for the Monitor
> Setup, and then use parameters similar to what was in the documentation that
> came with mine.  It worked the first time after using "custom."  After that I
> tried a few more configurations and none worked.

1. SOLVED - Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

Although I didn't get a response, I did solve my problem so I'll post
it just in case anyone else, especially a newbie, gets a similar
problem.

- I said "no" to installing MetroX which automatically starts the X
Server during installation
- Let the installation of Linux complete.
- Logged in as root
- Verified that the correct video drive/resolution was loaded in
/usr/X11R6/bin.  Although Linux detected 16-bit w/1024x 76, I could
not read the screen at that resolution with X.
- So, I ran rpm to manually load 8-bit (256 colors), 800x600 which is
pakcage: XF86_Mach8
- Ran  XConfigurator
        - Let Linux autodetect the video card
        - I didn't accept the settings & then changed it to 8-bit,
800x600 (only)...I deselected their setting w/16-bit.
- Ran startx and everything worked fine.

Then, I could go back & install MetroX.

There maybe an easier way as I'm a newbiew and I haven't tried to see
if other video settings will work (yet) but these worked for me.

Terry

2. LILO with Solairs Boot Manager

3. Help: video card supported in RH 6.0, not supported in SlackWare 8.0??

4. Help - cannot find C header files

5. Video Card and Redhat Linux 5.0. Please help !!!

6. GNU C++ compiler and RTTI

7. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

8. GNOME/xterm keyboard mapping question

9. Video Trouble using RH 5.0 and fvwm2

10. No Video Card Support? Help with XConfig, please!

11. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

12. RH 5.0 + STB Velocity 128 AGP video card

13. RH 5.0 Linux and AGP video card