Changing From /dev/hdc to /dev/hda -- Advice Sought

Changing From /dev/hdc to /dev/hda -- Advice Sought

Post by John Winte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hi Everyone,

>    This weekend I am going to switch my hard drives around to move my
>Linux disk 6.8GB drive from Secondary Master to Primary Master. I have RH
>6.0 installed on it.

>    I am moving my Primary Master to be the slave on my Linux Disk.  I
>have Win98 installed on it.  Currently it looks like this:

>/dev/hda 1.6GB Win98 FAT16
>/dev/hdb 340MB FAT16
>/dev/hdc 6.8GB Linux
>/dev/hdd 32X ATAPI CD-ROM

>    I am making it look like this tomorrow (for doing things like LILO
>etc.):

>/dev/hda 6.8GB Linux
>/dev/hdb 1.6GB Win98 FAT16
>/dev/hdc 340MB FAT16
>/dev/hdd 32X ATAPI CD-ROM

>    Can anyone provide any advice/recommendations?  Will I have to
>totally reinstall RH 6.0 when I do this?

No.  Just edit /etc/fstab, changing /dev/hdc to /dev/hda throughout.
(If you have the Windows stuff mounted from Linux you'll want to
change hda to hdb and hdb to hdc too.)  You'll also need to edit
/etc/lilo.conf to point to the right place.

Make yourself a recovery floppy (from the image on the CD) before
you start and use this to edit the files after re-arranging the disks.

Quote:>Will LILO work (finally?)?

One hopes so.

Regards,
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

1. Help Moving physical drive from /dev/hdc to /dev/hda

Hello,

I have been successfully running Caldera OpenLinux on a 540 meg. drive in my
Win95 box. (P75, 24 meg memory).  I have acquired a 486DX/100 with 16 meg of
memory.  I have moved the drive over to the new box, but in my old system it
was hdc.  Now it is hda and all of the automated checks and pointers point
to hdc.  Can someone give me an overview of what files need to be edited to
bring this back to normal.

Post it here, or e-mail is good too.

Thanks for the help.

Allen

2. Epson ink monitor / test pattern anyone?

3. need to change /dev/hdc to /dev/hde

4. HFTS out of inodes - it LIES

5. need to change /dev/hdc to /dev/hde for LILO

6. Summary of Auspex Experiences

7. fsck -A -V -a only checks /dev/hdb* (but not hda*, hdc*)

8. Question on CD-R, archives, and reliability

9. Lilo on /dev/hdc MBR, W2k on /hda is it possible?

10. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

11. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

12. MFM drives as /dev/hdc /dev/hdd (Need pointers, please)

13. ln -sf /dev/modem /dev/hdc [Screwed up]