problem configuring ppp for dialin server

problem configuring ppp for dialin server

Post by pankajmakh.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi all,

i encountered problem configuring ppp for dialin server for linux

about system on which i'm configuring dialin server:
1. pentium-celeron 266 MHz, 32 MB RAM
2. modem - GVC 33.6 kbps external connected at ttyS1
3. using RedHat 5.2 linux

xwindows is not working on my system
____________________________________

Please help me out i already attempted a lot to solve the problem but
always
failed.

i gon through these steps while configuring...

1. change in /etc/inittab file : added a line --

        S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -D /dev/ttyS1

2. change in file /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config  :

removed # from line colntaining /AutoPPP/

now line is looking like --

        /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1

3. also gave command : chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

4. add this line to /etc/bashrc:

        alias ppp="exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

5. made a file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 with following content

        -detach
        asyncmap 0
        modem
        crtscts
        lock
        proxyarp
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        127.0.0.1:127.0.0.2
        ms-dns 127.0.0.2

my machine's ip address is 127.0.0.1

i dont want PAP or any authentication for login,

the problem is that server is reciving a call when calling from win95
system
and after that its disconnecting automatically after some time if i'm
not opting for
"Bring up terminal window after dialing"
and if i'm opting for "Bring up terminal window after dialing" then
it is opening terminal window and asking for login and password after
giving it
it's leaving me at command prompt then when i give ppp it allocates me
ip address
127.0.0.2 and then again disconnects me automatically. so not getting
ppp to work
please guide me where i'm wrong and what should i do now.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

problem configuring ppp for dialin server

Post by jaych.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,
I have a similar problem, I get connected (mgetty autoppp) from the log-
files I see that authentication works, but after that pppd hangs up,
not having found the right protocol. I get an error message on my
windows box stating that there's something bad with the protocol
setting.
Perhaps we can solve the problem together. I also tried a lot of things
already. Send me excerpts of your logs and error messages, I will send
you mine. If I know a solution I'll tell you.

Ciao

> hi all,

> i encountered problem configuring ppp for dialin server for linux

> about system on which i'm configuring dialin server:
> 1. pentium-celeron 266 MHz, 32 MB RAM
> 2. modem - GVC 33.6 kbps external connected at ttyS1
> 3. using RedHat 5.2 linux

> xwindows is not working on my system
> ____________________________________

> Please help me out i already attempted a lot to solve the problem but
> always
> failed.

> i gon through these steps while configuring...

> 1. change in /etc/inittab file : added a line --

>    S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -D /dev/ttyS1

> 2. change in file /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config  :

> removed # from line colntaining /AutoPPP/

> now line is looking like --

>    /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1

> 3. also gave command : chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

> 4. add this line to /etc/bashrc:

>    alias ppp="exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

> 5. made a file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 with following content

>    -detach
>    asyncmap 0
>    modem
>    crtscts
>    lock
>    proxyarp
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    127.0.0.1:127.0.0.2
>    ms-dns 127.0.0.2

> my machine's ip address is 127.0.0.1

> i dont want PAP or any authentication for login,

> the problem is that server is reciving a call when calling from win95
> system
> and after that its disconnecting automatically after some time if i'm
> not opting for
> "Bring up terminal window after dialing"
> and if i'm opting for "Bring up terminal window after dialing" then
> it is opening terminal window and asking for login and password after
> giving it
> it's leaving me at command prompt then when i give ppp it allocates me
> ip address
> 127.0.0.2 and then again disconnects me automatically. so not getting
> ppp to work
> please guide me where i'm wrong and what should i do now.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

problem configuring ppp for dialin server

Post by jaych.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For me this worked: having read the syslog I noticed that
authentication was successful. Windows reported that it couldn't
negotiate to use a configured network protocol. I figured out it might
have something to do with resolving IP. After reading of a howto i
found on the net, I found I could add a file options.ttyS3 in /etc/ppp/
with a line 192.168.4.1:192.168.4.4 where the first IP adress is the
one of the server, the second the one of the modem (i.e. the peer
connecting to my box). This works now, having the same passwords for
samba and my users login I can log on to the network and browse with
Windows explorer. I had to set the right IP addresses of the wins
server and host in the dial-ip net settings under IP. I only use the
TCP/IP protocol software compression enabled ip header compression
enabled.
I hope this helped

> hi all,

> i encountered problem configuring ppp for dialin server for linux

> about system on which i'm configuring dialin server:
> 1. pentium-celeron 266 MHz, 32 MB RAM
> 2. modem - GVC 33.6 kbps external connected at ttyS1
> 3. using RedHat 5.2 linux

> xwindows is not working on my system
> ____________________________________

> Please help me out i already attempted a lot to solve the problem but
> always
> failed.

> i gon through these steps while configuring...

> 1. change in /etc/inittab file : added a line --

>    S2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS1 -D /dev/ttyS1

> 2. change in file /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config  :

> removed # from line colntaining /AutoPPP/

> now line is looking like --

>    /AutoPPP/ - - /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1

> 3. also gave command : chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd

> 4. add this line to /etc/bashrc:

>    alias ppp="exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach"

> 5. made a file /etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 with following content

>    -detach
>    asyncmap 0
>    modem
>    crtscts
>    lock
>    proxyarp
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    127.0.0.1:127.0.0.2
>    ms-dns 127.0.0.2

> my machine's ip address is 127.0.0.1

> i dont want PAP or any authentication for login,

> the problem is that server is reciving a call when calling from win95
> system
> and after that its disconnecting automatically after some time if i'm
> not opting for
> "Bring up terminal window after dialing"
> and if i'm opting for "Bring up terminal window after dialing" then
> it is opening terminal window and asking for login and password after
> giving it
> it's leaving me at command prompt then when i give ppp it allocates me
> ip address
> 127.0.0.2 and then again disconnects me automatically. so not getting
> ppp to work
> please guide me where i'm wrong and what should i do now.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

problem configuring ppp for dialin server

Post by jaych.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Now it works!
For me this worked: having read the syslog (set kdebug to 7
in /etc/ppp/options)I noticed that authentication was successful.
[...]

thanx for ur support,

i havent seen the log files yet.

first i'll check it and reply back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95

Hi Friends,

I dialin to the MST PPP for SCO Dailin PPP Server from the Windows 95, I
saw the following problem.

1. Windows 95 can dialin, can give login name and password.

2. Windows 95 can see PPP negotiation characters. And then press F7.

3. "Verifying User Name and Password" appears on the Windows 95 screen and
cutoff the telephone line.

I analysing the log files so many days. I found the following.

1. The MST PPP for SCO dialin PPP server and Windows 95 negotiated the call
back negotiation.

2. I think, the callback on and the MST PPP is cutoff the line for callback
from MST PPP for SCO.

I looking for the MST PPP for SCO user guide and SCO web site, I did not
see the callback disable for the MST PPP for SCO PPP dialin server side.

If someone know, how to disable the callback negotiation function in MST
PPP for SCO, please e-mail to help me. I have very big problem in MST PPP
dial in PPP server and windows 95.

Please !! Help me .......

Aung Myint Oo
Perfect Innovation (S) Pte Ltd
Singapore

2. Invalid objdump arguments

3. slip/ppp dialin server with dhcp server

4. Samba (again!)

5. dialin server connect OK but can't mail,ftp...to this server via ppp

6. Curses

7. PPP dialin server problem

8. shared mem limits in linux6.2

9. PPP Dialin Server Authentication problems.

10. PPP problem on dialin server

11. setup dialin server.......problem with ppp

12. dialin server problem with ppp

13. (Howto?) Configure PPP dialin support on RH 7.3