Help! 3Com Etherlink III card not recognized

Help! 3Com Etherlink III card not recognized

Post by Sudhakar Mekathott » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I could successfully install Slakware v3.0. Now I've got a network
card make 3Com Etherlink III. When I boot I am getting the follwing
error messages.

eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x360
eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x3c0

(error message twice!)

I tried to pass parameters like ether=x,hhhhh... with different
IRQs and base-addresses. From windows the card is recognized and works
fine. I tried to set IRQ & Base-address from windows and then pass the
same parameters to LILO boot prompt but linux can't find the card!

What should I do?

Please help.

Cheers
Sud.
==

Post by Nicole C. Wachsm » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I could successfully install Slakware v3.0. Now I've got a network
> card make 3Com Etherlink III. When I boot I am getting the follwing
> error messages.

> eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x360
> eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x3c0

> (error message twice!)

> I tried to pass parameters like ether=x,hhhhh... with different
> IRQs and base-addresses. From windows the card is recognized and works
> fine. I tried to set IRQ & Base-address from windows and then pass the
> same parameters to LILO boot prompt but linux can't find the card!

> What should I do?

> Please help.

> Cheers
> Sud.
> ==

You may need find/make a kernel that has the driver for this card?
I think the newer kernels ignore this possibility and assume an upgraded
card.
good luck
sean

Post by Sudhakar Mekathott » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I could successfully install Slakware v3.0. Now I've got a network
> card make 3Com Etherlink III. When I boot I am getting the follwing
> error messages.

> eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x360
> eth0: Detected device already registered at 0x3c0

> (error message twice!)

[snip]

I could fix the problem with this card. I just disabled the Plug 'n'
Play (or whatever) feature on the card and Linux could recognize it.

Thanks for the great response. :)

Cheers
sud.

Help! 3Com Etherlink III card not recognized

Post by Richard Westerve » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Nicole,

   Does your MB have Plug n' Play BIOS?  We had one here with a
   Elink-III card and had to disable the card's PnP feature to get
   Linux to work with it.

                                   -Richard

--
If your Ethernet Card ISA or PCI?
The Linux 1.2.13 does not accept at all, the PCI card so you must

What about the plug and play option.of the 3Com card...
It is enabled?
If so , disabled the option and try again...

Best Regards

jj

Help! 3Com Etherlink III card not recognized

Post by Zhong Ch » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I had same problems.  I resolved the problem by recompling the kernel.
I think the kernel comes with slackware 3.0 has all the ethernet brand
compled in, and obviously there is conflict.  Now, I have a new
problem.  At boot time it says my ethernet card claims a big block
or something like that.  Does anyone know what this is?

1. 3COM Etherlink III 10BaseT PCMCIA Card Model 3C589D installation in Mandrake 7.0 helps need

Linux forever!

I have been trying to install or make Linux Mandrake 7.0 detect my PCMCIA
card on my laptop (Toshiba 220CDS) without any success.  The PCMCIA card is
Etherlink III 10BaseT Model 3C589D from 3COM.  Lothar cannot detect it in
its Networking Device.  So I cannot access the internet right now with my
Laptop.

I have been wondering if someone can help me on this matter.

Thank you.

2. How di i get my free BSD firewall in my ADSL modem router to work with apache?

3. drivers for etherlink III XL 3Com 3C900 card

4. Help please

5. Linux & Windows 95 w/3COM Etherlink III 3c509b cards

6. setterm ???

7. 3COM PCMCIA Ethernet Card (Etherlink III 3C589/B) OSR5

8. esdplay sounds like a cricket

9. Problems adding network card 3COM EtherLink III (3C509)

10. Pentium 90 and 3Com EtherLink III cards...

11. Are 3com EtherLink III cards supported?

12. 3Com Etherlink III card and SuSE 6.2

13. Configing a 3Com EtherLInk III card for OBSD...