slow Slackware boot

Post by Charles Cla » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

>I just got done installing Slackware v3.2 on my system.  I used a boot disk
>and a root disk.  During the setup phase, I had to probe for my CDROM drive.
>Boy, was I surprised it found it! =)  Anyhow, it's installed and everything,
>but during the boot phase ... it takes forever ... as if it's looking for
>extra hardware that I don't have.

You may want to repost with the text of the message immediately preceding
the point at which it seems to be probing.  You shouldn't have to comment
out anything in those rc.d files unless there is some hardware at an
unexpected address.  Do you have a NIC or other PCI/ISA card?  Is the
CD-ROM primary/secondary, master/slave?

BTW, I see you're using MSN, which may cause difficulties when you want
to use e-mail under Linux.  MSN uses a non-standard authentication scheme
for POP mail.

1. Redhat 8.0 dual boot with Win2k/Windows boots way to slow.

I have two harddrives

hda contains win2k and hdb has Redhat 8.0

I'm using the grub bootloader.

I can get into windows 2000 but it takes like 3-5 minutes for it to boot.
Once in everything works fine. I boot to redhat no problems at all.

I'm pretty new to linux (I just started classes 2 weeks ago) and I really
don't know whats going on. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Linux Compatible Scanners

3. redhat enterprise linux 4 boots up slow with 2 GB RAM , boots fast with 512MB

4. setting MD5 passwords in RH 6.0

5. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

6. Need help with printing!!!

7. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

8. Test for connectivity before RSH

9. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

10. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

11. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

12. Slackware boot disk won't boot.

13. Slackware Boot Disks booting problems