standard x11 font

Post by Tibor Csoegoe » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 06:48:24

i wonder if there is an xresource which defines the "standard" font to
be used by x apps. i updated my debian distro from potato to unstable
and now i have really ugly big fonts. it's not that only big fonts are
installed, but it seems like one of the fonts is set to be used by
default. i.e. mozilla, netscape, emacs ... use it for their menues.

any idea what the "problem" could be?

tibor

standard x11 font

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 02:03:02

> i wonder if there is an xresource which defines the "standard" font to
> be used by x apps. i updated my debian distro from potato to unstable
> and now i have really ugly big fonts. it's not that only big fonts are
> installed, but it seems like one of the fonts is set to be used by
> default. i.e. mozilla, netscape, emacs ... use it for their menues.

> any idea what the "problem" could be?

> tibor

You probably "upgraded" to XFree86-4.X.X.  If your display worked OK using
XFree86-3.3.6, your Xservers may still be in /usr/X11R6/bin.  Check and
see.  If they are still there then delete the symlink X and point it to the
Xserver which you used previously.  The old /etc/XF86Config file may still
be there too, with luck.

Otherwise you can change the fonts for X applications in your ~/.Xresources
file line by line.  In KDE you can change the fonts using kcontrol.

standard x11 font

Post by S. Par » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:48:47

> i wonder if there is an xresource which defines the "standard" font to
> be used by x apps. i updated my debian distro from potato to unstable
> and now i have really ugly big fonts. it's not that only big fonts are
> installed, but it seems like one of the fonts is set to be used by
> default. i.e. mozilla, netscape, emacs ... use it for their menues.

> any idea what the "problem" could be?

> tibor

Most of X programs follows X server's choice of basic font size (KDE is
affected, Gnome is mostly not.). The reason is fine-tuning of new
XFree86. It tries to find which resolution is used from the screen size
in pixels and some obscure display size. If you usr virtual display, most
likely it picks up 100dpi fonts which look big in usual cases. Try to put
the following line in your XF86Config-4, in Section "Monitor"

        DisplaySize h v

h and v are the screen size in mm. The easiest way to calculate is
(h-pixels/75)*25.4 where h-pixels is the largest screen size among the
modes.

(A simpler way is just to remove 100dpi fonts.)

Regards.

standard x11 font

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 07:28:51

>> i wonder if there is an xresource which defines the "standard" font
>> to be used by x apps. i updated my debian distro from potato to
>> unstable and now i have really ugly big fonts. it's not that only big
>> fonts are installed, but it seems like one of the fonts is set to be
>> used by default. i.e. mozilla, netscape, emacs ... use it for their
>> menues.

>> any idea what the "problem" could be?

>> tibor

> Most of X programs follows X server's choice of basic font size (KDE
> is affected, Gnome is mostly not.). The reason is fine-tuning of new
> XFree86. It tries to find which resolution is used from the screen
> size in pixels and some obscure display size. If you usr virtual
> display, most likely it picks up 100dpi fonts which look big in usual
> cases. Try to put the following line in your XF86Config-4, in Section
> "Monitor"

> DisplaySize h v

> h and v are the screen size in mm. The easiest way to calculate is
> (h-pixels/75)*25.4 where h-pixels is the largest screen size among the
> modes.

> (A simpler way is just to remove 100dpi fonts.)

> Regards.

Thank you, Park.  I have been curious why XF86-4 fscked the fonts.

standard x11 font

Post by Tibor Csoegoe » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 20:37:10

> Most of X programs follows X server's choice of basic font size (KDE is
> affected, Gnome is mostly not.). The reason is fine-tuning of new
> XFree86. It tries to find which resolution is used from the screen size
> in pixels and some obscure display size. If you usr virtual display, most
> likely it picks up 100dpi fonts which look big in usual cases. Try to put
> the following line in your XF86Config-4, in Section "Monitor"

>    DisplaySize h v

> h and v are the screen size in mm. The easiest way to calculate is
> (h-pixels/75)*25.4 where h-pixels is the largest screen size among the
> modes.

> (A simpler way is just to remove 100dpi fonts.)

i removed the 100dpi fonts and now everything looks fine. thanx!

tibor