X won't start correctly with S3 Trio64 card and MS mouse

X won't start correctly with S3 Trio64 card and MS mouse

Post by Lu Ga » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

My Linux XF86 installation gave me the screen with the X (cursor) sign
1/3 too far to the lower right corner and a non-working mouse so I can't
do anything with it.

Could anybody tell me if this is a mouse driver problem or an
incompatible server problem? And why is the cursor consistently off the
center? I am hoping someone out there can point me out of the maze.

Here are some details:

I am trying to install XFree86 with my slackware CD. I have a v1.2.3
linux system, Viewsonic 17GS monitor, Diamond Stealth 2000 (S3-Trio64)
card and XFree v3.1.2. I ran xf86config to configure the X. xf86config
specifically asked me not to probe the clock so I don't have a clock
line (whatever that means).

I tried to link my X to XF86_S3, XF86_mono and XF86_SVGA, they all have
the same problem even though the color and resolution changed with each
server.

My pointer section of the config file points to the /dev/mouse which is
linked to /dev/Stty1 with microsoft protocal. My mouse was advertised as
Microsoft mouse with Microsoft printed on it. I tried /dev/tty1 and it
still didn't work.

When I killed X with ctrl-alt-BS, there are no error messages prior to
the kill message. Does this mean it is definitely a mouse/driver issue?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

- Lu

X won't start correctly with S3 Trio64 card and MS mouse

Post by h.. » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> My Linux XF86 installation gave me the screen with the X (cursor) sign
> 1/3 too far to the lower right corner and a non-working mouse so I can't
> do anything with it.
> Could anybody tell me if this is a mouse driver problem or an
> incompatible server problem?

I'm running XF86 also with the S3-XServer and have no problems
at all.

Quote:> And why is the cursor consistently off the
> center? I am hoping someone out there can point me out of the maze.

Hmm, guess it could be the mouse that makes you problems.

Quote:> My pointer section of the config file points to the /dev/mouse which is
> linked to /dev/Stty1 with microsoft protocal. My mouse was advertised as
> Microsoft mouse with Microsoft printed on it. I tried /dev/tty1 and it
> still didn't work.

If it is a 3-button mouse try the MouseMan driver for the Logitech
mice. It should work well.

Quote:> When I killed X with ctrl-alt-BS, there are no error messages prior to
> the kill message. Does this mean it is definitely a mouse/driver issue?

Sorry that I can't give you some solutions to your problem,
but I can tell you that the S3-XServer does work well, so this is
not the root of the problem.

Greetinx from Germany, Heinz.
--
# Heinz Diehl, 68259 Mannheim, Germany
# No risk, no fun ! :)

Post by Jay Bratche » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> My Linux XF86 installation gave me the screen with the X (cursor) sign
> 1/3 too far to the lower right corner and a non-working mouse so I can't
> do anything with it.
> Could anybody tell me if this is a mouse driver problem or an
> incompatible server problem? And why is the cursor consistently off the
> center? I am hoping someone out there can point me out of the maze.

Hi -
I had the same problem, but it was in both Windows 3.1 and Linux/X.  I
could solve it in X by using the 'option "sw_cursor"' in my XF86Config
file, but could not get it to work at all in Windows (event with STB's
tech support).  I eventually returned the card and opted for one with a
different chipset.  It's a little slower, but at least it works.  I use
Linux 99% of the time, but still have to have Windows for doing my taxes
:-(.  If you don't need Windows though, the software cursor option may
work for you.

Jay

1. Trio64 -- S3 server won't start! Help!

I'm new to the Linux X world and am having troubles getting X up
on my system.  I have a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM card (w/ 2MB) and
a CTX CMS-1561 Multisync/Multiscan monitor.  SuperProbe tells me I
have the S3 Trio64 chipset.

I run the "xf86config" utility, answer all the questions (including
specifying the S3 server, etc.), and generate the config file (in
/etc).  I examine the file (everything looks ok to me, but what do I
know?!) but make no changes.  When I run "startx" I get the stderr
output ( "(--)" and "(**)" stuff, complete with a few warnings about
missing fonts/font paths, missing RGB database, and a few modes that
aren't compatible and are therefore deleted - I guess this is stuff I
need to clean up in the config file) and the screen flickers to what
looks like an X root window pattern for about 2 or 3 seconds, and then
I'm right back to the original (non-X) shell screen with a final message:

"waiting for X server to shut down"

followed by the shell prompt.

I've been reading like a madman, but can't figure out what's wrong.
Could it be the missing RGB database?  (Why wasn't that installed
when I performed installation of XFree86 stuff from my Slackware
Linux CD?  ...nor was the monitor DB.)  Could it be that I specified
a Mouse Systems mouse protocol rather than a microsoft mouse protocol?
(I have a switch on my 3-button mouse...)  I'm sure about my monitor
timings (h/v sync rates) but don't know if all the mode lines in
the config file are correct...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Lane

2. LINUX-JAVA

3. S3 Trio64 Video card: X and MS Windows

4. QEMU 0.4 release

5. Xf86: with a S3 trio64 v+ (s3 86c765) card: Anyone successful?

6. WWW Security

7. X won't start correctly

8. examining core files.

9. Root process won't start correctly form crontab in AIX 4.3.3

10. Error deleting node in SDR - Event Manager (haem) won't start correctly

11. Xdm won't start X correctly

12. Gnome 1.4 Won't Start Correctly

13. Root process won't start correctly form crontab in AIX 4.3.3