Booting multi-boot system from Lilo?

Post by Preston Crawfor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

After installing Redhat Linux 7 on my multi-boot system (Win2k, Windows 98,
Linux) I've become very impressed with the graphical boot screen that Lilo
uses under Redat 7. I'd like to keep it and boot everything from there, but
it's kind of a pain to boot to DOS and then to also have to use the NT
Loader. Is there a way to boot Windows 98 and Windows NT separately from the
Lilo boot manager?

Preston

Post by Jim Broughto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> After installing Redhat Linux 7 on my multi-boot system (Win2k, Windows 98,
> Linux) I've become very impressed with the graphical boot screen that Lilo
> uses under Redat 7. I'd like to keep it and boot everything from there, but
> it's kind of a pain to boot to DOS and then to also have to use the NT
> Loader. Is there a way to boot Windows 98 and Windows NT separately from the
> Lilo boot manager?

> Preston

 Sure just use the NT boot loader. Can't remember the exact method
but I believe it is possible.
  I do know however that LILO must be installed in linux's boot partition
when using an alternate MBR boot loader such as NT's or Boot Magic.
(if boot directory is in same partition as root install lilo to root)
 Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

Booting multi-boot system from Lilo?

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:38:51

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> After installing Redhat Linux 7 on my multi-boot system (Win2k, Windows 98,
> Linux) I've become very impressed with the graphical boot screen that Lilo
> uses under Redat 7. I'd like to keep it and boot everything from there, but
> it's kind of a pain to boot to DOS and then to also have to use the NT
> Loader. Is there a way to boot Windows 98 and Windows NT separately from the
> Lilo boot manager?

That depends on how they're installed. If 98 and NT are on separate
primary partitions (that is, each thinks it's on C:, but the C:
partition seen from Win98 is not the same as the C: seen in WinNT), then
you just need to create appropriate /etc/lilo.conf entries to boot each
partition. If the two versions of Windows share a C: partition (which is
the most likely way the two are installed if you installed them using
the native Windows tools), then AFAIK LILO can't do it alone; you must
rely on NT's OS Loader or some other tool as a secondary boot loader.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. Win95 boot problems on multi-boot LILO system

Hi,

Can anyone help. I have a coumputer that has LILO set up on it to boot
Linux or Win95. (hda0- LINUX swap, hda1 - Win95, sda1 - linux). The
system was working until now when I tried to boot into win95 and nothing
happened (freeze). I can mount and work with the Win95 filesystem from
Linux without a problem.

Fdisk from linux says the system is FAT16 >32MB, but when booting from
Win95 floppy disk I can not see the C: drive (can change drive, but it
will not be able to read anything from it). FDISK from DOS says the
partition is OK (C:) but is an UNKNOWN type.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Better yet, to fix it without
re-installing the system?

Thanks

Peter

2. RH Roswell

3. using boot floppy to boot multi OS's (no LILO)

4. dhcpd issue

5. LILO multi-boot limit

6. Linux Newbie question!!!!

7. Booting Linux from DOS 6.2 Multi-Boot...

8. List of stuff which doesn't work in LinuxPPC 2000

9. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

10. Booting LILO with multi-drive, multi partition, Please help!

11. RH6.2, Win2000, Win98 multi-boot results in LI on boot to Linux

12. multi-boot Win98 and Corel LINUX - lost boot menu

13. Help needed: Disk Partition Scheme for Multi-boot OS system and Linux